The Middle School League

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Jul 15, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I agree with you about the level of the league. However, if you ever read Soccer America or 90:00 or watch MSL games on television, you will realize that there are quite a few MSL followers who think they offer a product on par with or better than Europe, and I would expect them to be defensive about any critcism and want to avoid any constructive discussion of how to better the offering that they embrace so forcefully and unnaturally.

And before a young guy like you goes around accusing people of slander, I recommend two things: 1) listen closely to what they have SAID, and 2) understand what exactly slander is.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

My list of MLS improvements

1) Ease out of single entity. If a team sells a player they should get the money to invest in new players. System in place now is simply retarded.

2) Restructure regular season. Perhaps go to a single table. Take the amount of teams in playoffs down to four. Award spots in Copa Libratadores or Champions League type competition based on regular season standings. Perhaps get rid of playoffs altogether and go Euro style. Bottom line the regular season needs to become more meaningful.

3) Concacaf Champions League- it looks like it going to happen, Telemundo has already said its broadcasting it. It will likely work just like its European counter part. I'd say 16 teams, four groups of four, play each group team home and away on a Wednesday or Tuesday night match. After group play go to the home and away series until you get to two teams then have a Championship game.
    Tourny would look like this.

A----------------------B--------------------C-------------------D
    Cruz Azul--------DC United-----------Pumas--------------Chicago Fire
    FC Dallas--------Club America-----LA Galaxy---------Chivas de Guadaljara
    Saprissa--------Communicacions---Alujense----------------Olympia
    Joe Public FC----Harbor Town FC----CAQ---------------Portmore United

Would feature 4 Mexican teams, 4 MLS teams, 2 Costa Rican teams, 1 Honduras, 1 Guatemala, 1 Jamaica, 1 T&T, an additional Caribbean Qualifier, and an additional Central American Qualifier (I couldn't think of another Central American team thus CAQ.

Ideally this tournament would have big prize money and the winner would go to Club World Championships. If enough money is involved it will be worthwhile for all parties involved and huge incentive for MLS teams to qualify for it. It looks like something similar to this will happen soon.

This is what I've got for now, perhaps I'll remember more later.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

yikes! sorry for the quad post, no idea how that happened. If its possible to delete the first three that'd be great

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You win! This is mega-brill. I love it, especially the CONCACAF Champions League. Rock on!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Really good discussion on here, about the best I ever saw on it.

But I would like to remind our original poster again, that no one -of any credibility - rates MLS with any of the top leagues.

We are a First Division League and that's all anyone should or would expect. So... if FFCPCB wants to compare, do it to the Championship, or BL2.
    Wonder how he thinks we size up there?

I have a good idea and I have examples of some who've gone to lesser Euro teams.
    - - - - - - -- -
    Added: Also I WAS gonna congratulate you all for not mentioning 'relegation' but, searching for it, saw it came up once and was dismissed for the proper reason.

Anyone who thinks the big footy countries would still have relegation in the same form if, for some reason, all their FA's were blown up and reformed is not thinking straight.
    Relegation/promotion MIGHT come to MLS/USL at some time in the future but it will be based on more than season points and for more than a single season.
    - - - - - -- - -
    Bloated 30-somethings playing at half-speed:

Ah, but what fan would REALLY wanted to have missed out on seeing Valderrama work his magic, even under flank speed?
    Not me. Because he knew how to use what he had left and it was STILL remarkable.
    Stoichkov - say what you will, but the flame's still burning. And his leaving the Mutts to watch the WC and situation surrounding that only reinforces.
    - - - - - -- - -

To put it kindly, calling MLS which owes its existence ONLY to a couple rich guys who were willing to throw away their money for years; one for his love of the game and desire to see his long-time dream work out... and the other to be in on the ground floor and give back. ...'MIDDLE SCHOOL LEAGUE'... REALLY insults their efforts.
    They MEANT it to be JayVee and that's what it is.

They'll admit it.. why do some insist on pissing on their shoes?!!!!

6. Jux

Jux New Member

Great ideas Spencer. That is the first I've heard of a Champions League. That would be great having a competition during the season while the teams are in form. It might provide a good spark for those September games where some teams just play conservative so they don't lose their place in the playoffs. Of course, I would get rid of the playoffs, but that's another story.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Tell you what... it might be a good thing if potential fans like FFC PCB were to step back and read "Logan's Revenge" before they posted, then ask themselves - is it REALLY a good idea to dish out the cold water on MLS?
    What I'm saying is we dont need MORE digging up the dirt; all the bad news and dirt you might want to read is on there... you dont have to sift through pro-con arguments and the data, opinion and 'news' is pretty damned accurate.
    Read especially his views on 'Butts-in-Seats'
    http://www.logansrevenge.blogspot.com/

No denying there's a ton of folks out there just like FFC in PCB. And dont we all know it, the view of "I'm not paying to see that crap" has been around since LONG before MLS was born.

And then - this is important- we might think about WHERE is the money going to come from to elevate the sport in the US.

How about let's leave out what we'd LIKE to see happen if there's no way it's economically viable!

At exactly the time any footy fan SHOULD be rallying around MLS in order to make it and its quality BETTER we have those who see nothing but the negatives and throw their slop jar out onto the pitch.

Before I criticize the relative quality of the MLS product, I'm going to criticize the relative quality of the US Soccer fan.

Buy tickets, THEN criticize!

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

At exactly the time any footy fan SHOULD be rallying around MLS in order to make it and its quality BETTER we have those who see nothing but the negatives and throw their slop jar out onto the pitch.
    -Petty

I'm not sure why you and Spence continue to be so defensive and consistently misstate my impression of MSL. Spencer is a young lad, so I chalk some of that up to youthful exuberance, but you sir, according to your own description, don't have that luxury. Perhaps old crotchiness...? :wink:

I think I provided some pretty reasonable ways to improve the MSL, and with Spencers ideas, perhaps some of mine could get in the mix also. But if I had to point to one thing that separates our ideas on these issues, I would say it is that you and Spencer are boisterous defenders and promoters of the current United States professional soccer league, and I am a staunch advocate of our U.S. soccer players and the development of our youth into the best representatives to the world of what the U.S. players can accomplish by focusing on and preparing for the highest level of competition in the world.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

crotchety? our P-Fog? I'll hear none of it! :3d tongue:

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Another improvement that has come to mind is emphasizing the US Open Cup. For those who don't know this is a great tournament similar to the FA Cup any team can enter from amateurs to MLS. The play is often great but MLS teams don't promote it at all, only the final is on TV and its Gol TV :( . Its the only soccer "thing" in the United States with real history. Its like 100 year old competition or something.

Last year my Minnesota Thunder of USL 1 defeated Colorado and Salt Lake at home. The crowd heckled the hell out of Clint Mathis and Jeff Cunningham respectively. Our stadium is a little 5,000 seat high school football stadium in inner St. Paul and our supports group, the Dark Clouds "section 8 type" stands behind the visitors bench no more than 30 feet away. Needless to say it produces some good stuff.

The thunder then went on the road to Kansas City followed by a bus of 50 or so fans and beat KC. We taunted Preki all night with chants of "your best players in the AARP" and stuff. Good fun. There ended up being a little scuttle between about three fans from both sides. The stupid security guards, whom were already mad at are section for using a smoke bomb, got a little excited and whipped out the pepper spray and put a few people in cuffs.

Really it was a pretty weird site. A bunch of 30 to 50 something dorky American soccer fans get pepper sprayed and hand cuffed. I like most didn’t get involved and just reflected on the bizarre happenings. We lost in the next round in LA. This year we were dumped out by Des Moines, who play a division below us. It’s a shame I was hoping the Galaxy would come to St. Paul. I know the Dark Clouds would given Golden Boy hell.

Basically this is a great competition and it should be made a priority and given TV coverage.

12. Zack

Zack New Member

This may yet get to 130 plus posts!!! But this is exactly why I'm glad to be around soccer in the U.S. now...now granted we all wouldnt be at this site w/out our love and support for soccer and Fulham....but the posts are getting good, and its great to read...heck now i'm afraid to post something b/c none of my ideas can really compete w/ you lot! Perhaps we could get this to MLS somehow, maybe it would "shake" up their work week of wondering WHY they picked Toronoto for an expansion (helllloooo we have sun all the time in Florida..and MICKEY!!!)......

but good stuff, gotta get going to Syriana(sp)....hopefully its decent, if not, i used a free gift card to rent it!

HOLLA AT CHA BOIIII

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FFCinPCB loves the MLS!

Nothing to add; just wanted to change the name of the thread. What do you think?
    :3d smile:

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: FFCinPCB loves the MLS!

Cheeky monkey.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. Jux

Jux New Member

True...now they will only show the Tottenham/Arsenal game replay 3 times during the week instead of 4.

Honestly, a good bit of their programming during the week is just a replay of the pervious weekend’s games. Often, it’s not the full slate, so you end up just seeing the same 4-5 games replayed ad nauseum. They need more content, even during the European Football season.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Okay, I'm a little confused, the article says FSC will cover the US Men's and Women's teams (is that just friendlies?). Will ESPN still be covering US Men and Women's games too--that would give the game more exposure, as more people have access to the ESPN channels than FSC.

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I really doubt this will effect live Euro games. Maybe you wont see these so called "classic" quite as much. They really need to change their definition of classic. A standard 1-0 AC Milan win against Porto five years ago is not a classic, so stop calling it a classic FSC!

I suspect FSC will pick up the US games that ESPN is not interested in giving coverage to. I recall a few of the preliminary qualies and a few friendly’s went uncovered. Hopefully our new manager will have us playing these friendly’s against quality non CONCACAF opposition.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You mean Chescum's 5-1 drubbing of Bolton wasn't a classic?

Point taken.