The Mid-Term Elections

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Oct 26, 2006.

?

What will happen on November 7th in the Mid-Term Elections

1. Republicans Will Retain Both House and Senate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Democrats Will Win Both House and Senate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Republicans Will Win Senate, Democrats Win House

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Democrats Win Senate, Republicans Win House

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

What are people's thoughts on the fast approaching mid-term elections? Will the Democrats take over the House and Senate? Will the Republicans be able to gain some momentum in the last week and a half and retain their advantage in Congress? I am curious as to what people think will happen and what people want to happen.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Everytime Republicans take out their thingies and piss on their voters' feet, the Dems laugh and say "I can do better than that!" and shoot themselves in the foot.

Parroting the moonbat left on Foley and trying high school political pranks has done more to get out the evangelical and 'pissed off conservative' vote for Republicans than anything we could have hoped to do on our own.

Close but no cigar, you idiots... even Harold Ford who SHOULD have managed to make the best showing has managed to self-destruct.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think things will be very close, particularly in the Senate. I feel the Democrats will win the House, but I am not sure about the Senate.

I would love the Dems to take the Senate as well, but if that can't happen, I will take satisfaction watching George Allen, Jr. lose. That guy is a piece of crap.

So Petty, you are voting for Sherrod Brown right? Down, down down, Dewine is going down!!

4. pettyfog

Read the above, Tom..... I hate Dewine with a fury beyond description, and i'm not even sure why... i think it has to do with his 'gang of 14' meddling.

But I will hold my nose and vote for the little twerp. John Kasich would have been SO much more and better, but he would have had to take a big pay cut.

I bet you cant tell me why... without me pointing out Webb's similarities.

Yeah, Allen's a numbskull... but, again, see my 'shoot in foot' reference.

Gee... wonder if all this makes my thread on 'how do we get good people to run' even more relevent?

5. pettyfog

Let me be perfectly clear; every time Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean opens their mouths, Karl Rove laughs so hard he falls off his chair...

Is that clear enough?

Heh...

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: The Mid-Term Elections

I did not like the makaka comment. I think he is a racist and I think he is a spitting image of George W. Bush.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: The Mid-Term Elections

I am not a big fan of Howard Dean. Why he is in charge of the Democratic National Committee is beyond me. However, I do not think these two alone will lose the election for the Democrats. As a Republican, I am sure you and others are hoping for that, but I would not bank on it.

8. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: The Mid-Term Elections

And yet...
    "I dont think there's a person grown up around here that hasnt used the 'N' word"
    -James Webb

And yet, ALL the hysteria about Allen using it was "I heard he used the N word" in college.

Webb admits having baited blacks...

Nope, Tom... you grasp at straws... but then, so do most Dems
    "Spitting Image of Bush" says it all... it's BDS.

See... the difference is.. I ADMIT my 'Dewine Derangement Syndrome'

Just admit youre acting on feelings, not logic, son!

:wink:

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Whatever Fog. Think what you want to think. You can pull all your blogs and links out that you want but I do not care. People have reasons why they vote the way they do. I understand that not everyone thinks like me and not everyone thinks like you too.

That being said, the reason people vote the way they do is not as sophisticated as you think. People do not sit around all day looking up dirt, gossip and blogs to find a reason to vote or not to vote for a particular candidate.

The bottom line is this....in August, Webb trailed by 20 points to Allen. Now in most polls it is neck and neck. Why is this? Do not post some link to nowhere as I am not going to read it. I am looking for simple answers here. Voters are looking for simple things and in this case from you I want simple answers, not some pick-a-path post that leads me to who knows where.

10. pettyfog

And they dont sit around all day reading past the head and lede, either... which the media knows and why they lead with implications other than what their columns contain lower down.

What you are saying, in other words, is "Dont confuse me with the facts".

Which is why the DNC and most Dems think the average voter is an idiot. Now the Republicans have been infected by proximity.

Fair enough... i didnt post links.

ONE reason Webb has pulled it close is that he has, on paper, the best qualifications for the job.

It's amazing that Webb isnt in the clear lead, isnt it? What state is that, huh?

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: The Mid-Term Elections

True Fog. How about diversifying the format of your messages some. Your PR & Marketing people seem to be stuck in a rut.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Mid-Term Elections

Once again Fog, think what you want to think about the Democrats. That is your belief. Not once have I jumped down the throats of the Republican voting base. I did say Allen was an idiot, which I think is true, but I never have been boisterous on this message board about the downfalls of the Republican party and its voters.

What you fail to understand is that people like you and I are not going to determine this election. The independents and the middle-of-the-road voters are the ones who will. Whether it be in Ohio, Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania or any of the other hottly contested races, the folks who at this point are undecided will make or break the election to either the Democrats or the Republicans.

I could go on and on trying to get you to understand that not everyone thinks like you or me for that matter.

Also, I am not afraid of reading the facts, but who in the media and in a blog does not slant something to their own belief? I would guess very few. Therefore, how are you so certain it is fact? It is fact to you because you agree with it or believe it. Once again though, remember, don't give voters too much credit for being so intelligent. While some are, many are not. They vote with their hearts based on one or two issues that come up. That is it.

13. pettyfog

Oh... I have a job lined up and I'd love to explain myself, put it this way:

Look at my net name.. look at my avatar

You think I dont know how I come across? That's why I dont link to Limbaugh or any RW source unless it's a middling mainstream opinion.

But I was told before, on Matchnight, to not bother with links... even when they were to the Guardian or NY Times.

Why IS that... unless you want to believe my opinions are unsupported and you dont want your world-view shaken?

I'm trying to get you guys to actually THINK instead of 'FEEL'. 'FEELING' is why I hate Dewine. But if that's what you act on, you sure better say so up front. Instead of 'dont bother linking'. That I'm not a 'real good writer' at expressing my views doesnt help {another reference to my avatar}.

Tom, you're REALLY an analyst... why limit that talent to your vocation?

I'm NOT trying to appear superior or all knowing... I want people to discuss, and pretend I'm like that guy sitting next to you at the bar every happy hour, who likes you but happens to have opposite views on which tema is best. Wont you accept his points and argue against them?

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well it seems most pundits are giving the house to the dems and the republicans will retain the senate.

I guess for the dems to win the senate:
    1) Casey will have to hold on and kick out Santorum. This race gets closer by the day.

2) Brown will have to hold on over Dewine in Ohio

3) Ford Jr. will have to beat some ass who's name escapes me in Tennese. Its very very close. But can a black man really win a state wide election is Tennessee. I can't wait to find out.

4) Tester will have to beat Conrad Burns(Ambromov's boy) in Montana

5) McCaskill will have to win over Talent

6) Menedez must hold on to his seat in New Jersey

It's a rather big ask. I don't see it happening. I think Santorum will make his incredible comeback. You constantly hear one side bashing the other, particularly the senators on the fridges of the party. You hear so much terrible stuff about guys like Santorum and Feingold that you begin to think there incompetent. Then you see them debate or speak and you see that there is a reason these guys have seats. They are great politicians! I discovered that Sanatorium is an incredible debater. He's made up 20 points on Casey since the debate I saw between the two a week and a half ago. Same can be said for Feingold.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty, I enjoy reading your posts for the most part. I like the fact that you are always trying to get people to think about things on both sides of the aisle. However, I guess I would consider myself a "feeling" kind of person.

It is not as though I do not read anything or watch political shows on tv and just feel a certain way. I watch shows, read articles, magazines, etc to form my opinions. If that means I am "feeling," then I guess I am that way.

As for this election, I just do not "FEEL" this great country we live in is heading in the right direction. I think we need some new blood in there to stir things up a bit and get this country moving in the right direction. With bi-partisanship in the Executive and Legislative branch, I think more could get done positively for this country.

Getting back to the whole "FEELING" thing...isn't okay for people to "FEEL?" It does not mean they do not read facts, opinions, etc, it just means at this given time, a person feels a certain way about who he/she wants to vote for. I do not see anything wrong with that as a voter.

16. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Alright... here's my two cents...

Howard Dean's 50-State strategy has scared the bejeezus out of the GOP. The GOoPers are having to spend money in WYOMING of all places to try and defend their candidate from her own idiocy! Once "safe" seats are now spreading thin the monetary resources of the Republican Machine. When Connecticut House seats are now leaning Dem, that's a heckuva dramatic shift in American voter sentiment. When MT is about to unseat Sen. Burns (who is, admittedly, a schmuck, so it's his own fault), the tide is turning. When CO rep Musgrave, once the bright shining star example of the Western GOP is being threatened by Paccione, the tide is turning. It may not be a wave like '94 (although poll history would indicate that it's bigger), it will shift the tide back to an even playing field.

I think Santorum is out. There's no way to recover from that kind of defecit in two weeks. He's up against one of the biggest family names in PA politics and, well, he's got an excremental substance named after him... just try googling "Santorum"... heh... can't say his name without giggling...

I think the Dems pick up 15-17 seats making the House a near dead-heat. As long as they get their majority, they get their subpoena power and again, it scares the bejeezus out of the GOP. You'll then see how far the power grab that has taken place in the Executive Branch has gone. I think you'll see the President and the VP outright REFUSE to go before Congress. We'll have a Constitutional Crisis. Ok... enough of my tinfoil hat... but I just have that feeling... which I know petty hates...

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I cast my ballot for your view over Petit. If wrong, I'll join the crow feast. But I think Foggery and his ilk are in denial.

18. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Speaking of Petty's buddy DeWine...

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.a ... ryid=58452

Down by 20 points with less than 2 weeks to go? And Blackwell isn't looking much better... of course, Blackwell controls the way votes are counted (insert tinfoil hat here)... so you never know what'll happen...

And those coat-tails are going to be long... six, count 'em six, potential Dem pickups in Ohio... petty might have to move!

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Although there are a few Republican House members from Texas who SHOULD be in trouble next month, the fact that the courts took so long [after the primaries] to redraw the illegally re-drawn districts [thanks, Hammer], means that the Republican incumbent in several districts is running against 2 or 3 Democrats. The cumulative Democratic opposition will outpoll the incumbent in each case, but the GOP will still get a "relative majority" as our cousins over the water like to call a plurality.

Those districts will stay Republican, but will continue to be represented by folks the voters don't want for two more years. Then God and Diebold :shock: willing, there might really be a Democratic revival.

20. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Just because it's funny...

"The election is less than two weeks away and there are rumors the Republicans are getting ready for an election night disaster, which would be a first---a disaster they were actually prepared for."
    ---Bill Maher