The Kettering Draw...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DawgTheDon, Jan 4, 2009.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Just happy to leave with the W.

Gera looked awful today.

Dempsey looked decent.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought Gera didn't put a foot right all game. It was an absolutely shocking display in all facets of the game. Way to grab for "the main chance." Etuhu was also pretty bad. And I thought that Hangeland finally had -- by his standards -- a poor game.

What was good? AJ ahd Hughes were great the entire match. I thought Simon had his best match in a long time. Dempsey was great in the first half and "there" in the second half. Stoor did okay, but a foul throw? Really? As for PK, I'm starting to listen more closely to those who think that we need to replace him this summer. Aussie? He did fine.

How about Roy and his substitutes. The game changed completely when Zamora and Murphy came on. The missed open header aside, I thought Zamora was magnificent. He's the biggest reason why we don't have a replay.

Considering everything -- especially that Kettering played very well -- I thought we did fine.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

We'll be waiting. Sounds juicy.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Hey remember the last time Fulham scored 4 goals away from home?

Thats right, November of 2004. Wow.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

One quick observation I had: Stoor's crossing is a lot better than Paintsil's (or Konchesky's, but that's not as relevant a comparison).

7. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I was on TiFF earlier and someone was really ripping the performance. Just win baby. Winning ugly is still winning.

Bring on Swansea!!!

8. Corky

Corky New Member

Why was my post about Gera deleated from this thread , is this the way you operate ?
    Everything is not rosy in the Fulham garden.

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Well, Kettering is only an hour north of London (by train) so it wasn't an overly early morning. But as I left my house, the mailman cornered me to sign off on a package which was bizarre because he was earlier than normal. What I signed for was my birthday gift from the FFC faithful, my Fulham flag that will be coming away with me as I make my travels. What luck! Orm even got a nice photo of it from yesterday:

[​IMG]

So with my flag in tow, I got on a train from Dorking to Wimbledon at around 8:30ish then the district line to Putney Bridge station and finally the 220 bus up to Lillie road in Fulham in order to meet up with Fletcher, Phil and Robin for a fry up...mmmm, eggs, beans, fried bread, tomatoes and a nice cuppa joe.

After we ate, we piled into Phil's car and off we went, up the M1 talking about what Kettering would have to offer. We received a few texts about where FFC fans were congregating in Kettering so we were looking forward to getting up there in good time. An hour and a half later, we found ourselves in Kettering which wasn't much really, a small Northern town that was quaint and quiet...until the all the football fans gathered in the center. Two pubs right next to each other were claimed by Fulham and so this is where we would spend the next 2 and a half hours. In them were Fulham, old and new...many faced I didn't recognize who were from the 'old school' that Phil, Fletch and Robin knew since they are much more seasoned Fulham fans that I probably ever will be.

Half an hour later the boys were in full voice as I'm sure you'll be finding on youtube in the next week or so.

Off to the ground and what a small, non-league, old-school type ground it is, as show by orm and his wonderful photos: http://www.voy.com/13865/1206241864.html

Won't go into the match but will say it was wierd to stand and watch it without a roof and in such a smal tight group...LOVED IT.

More later...

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm smiling at Kettering being described as any sort of "Northern" town, and I'm sure that anyone from there would be also, but a great post and photo, Mikey.

11. Bocacrumbs

Bocacrumbs New Member

Mike, I saw your flag on TV and was wondering what Fulhamerican made it all the way to Kettering...NICE.

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Well as I think Don will be able to confirm these FA Cup games against lower oppostion are the hardest games for most premiership and championship teams, that really is what the FA Cup is all about and there's nothing more exciting than being at one of those games, especially if you are the underdogs and you beat higher teams, it doesnt happen very often but when it does your on a high for weeks. I watched the game and thought Gera and Euthu were a disgrace to call themselves premiership players. I was pleased we won but not very impressed with the way we played but as i said that's what the FA Cup is all about.

Loved you day of events Mike sounded just like I rembered a day in the FA Cup should be...Thanks

Don you must have been to Kettering a few times after all it's only up the road from Luton....LOL

COYW's

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Agree with others about Gera & Etuhu. Especially the latter. It looked like our guys quit passing to him and excluded him from the offensive buildup late in the 1st half up until he was subbed. I'm officially worried about the back 4 now with two uncharacteristic performances in a row. Especially with Hangeland and Schwarzer. They've been so solid, hopefully they can correct that quickly (say, by Tuesday).

But a win's a win and it was a fun match to watch for the most part. Good to see Bobby Z find the net again, hopefully that gets him back on track. Was happy to avoid the replay and while not optimistic about @ Swans, beats playing a big 4 side.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Oh, another observation from Saturday: Andreasen gets some zip on his shots. Didn't put them on frame I don't think, but didn't altogether sky them either. I'd like to see him and Murphy in central midfield tomorrow.

15. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Nice, Mike!

Good to get a win, despite Mike Riley's best efforts, and even if it was absolutely nerve-wracking to watch. I agree with everyone about Gera. He was awful. I'm done with him. And I agree with Josh that Andreasen deserves another run out there.

16. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Corky, I seriously doubt your post was deleted. In my experience, that's not the way things work 'round here.

I read a comment of yours about Gera in the transfer thread, though. Could it be you're looking in the wrong place?

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I thoguht Gera and Etuhu were awful.

I thought Dempsey was MOM for the first half - he really enjoys that free roll behind a striker. Unfortunately, with Etuhu incapable of passing the ball to white shirts and Gera simply awful, he didn't get much service.

I thought Stoor was ok - I wouldn't be against using him as long as we're not facing a pacey left winger.

Andreason made a solid argument for taking Bullard's place in the middle. He's a box to box player who is better defensively than Bully and has a decent shot. Admitedly, the creativity will have to come from Murphy, but it would be the most balanced relationship that Murphy has seen at Fulham (with regards to offensive duties vs. offensive ones) - Murphy was 60/40 defense alongside Bully and had to be 30/70 alongside Etuhu; he could be 45/55 alongside Andreason, which is a good thing.

18. Corky

Corky New Member

I was looking in the wrong place , take no notice of my comment , I probably had too much Guinness , in fact I definately had too much Guinness :D

19. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm surprised to see all of the negative reviews of Gera. I thought he did alright, and only ran into trouble when he had 4 or 5 Kettering defenders all over him. Wasn't his greatest performance, but I thought he mostly looked like Bullard on a bad day.

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I truly thought Gera was a giveaway waiting to happen every time he touched the ball.