The hot stove league (sort of)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jan 8, 2016.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Is this a joke? The best organization in baseball feels it necessary to hack into one of the most dysfunctional?

And since when did WSJ start doing sports?

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Maybe you should spend less time on the British tabloids. :) They've covered the business side of sports for a long time and they do a very good job of it.

I'd also say that the Astros have proven there was a method to their madness. I'll never agree with the league switch, but to continue to label them dysfunctional is unfair.

4. jumpkutz

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4 years seems a little light. In layman's terms he committed a crime of breaking and entering and theft of property ($1.7 million dollars worth according to feds).

Do you think it should be more or less?

6. jumpkutz

Federal sentencing guidelines are notoriously harsher than state and local punishments, which kind of makes sense. But is it fair that someone who is convicted or pleads guilty to manslaughter for killing someone while driving drunk serves less than that? I don't know if the punishment fits the crime here. It may be fair to ask the question: Does it ever?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm sure none of the millionaires who may have benefitted from this crime will serve a day in jail. Four years in the federal slammer seems a little excessive when folks who routinely steal millions get two weeks in a golf camp. It's a good thing he wasn't smokin' a doobie when they busted him or he'd have gotten life.

8. jumpkutz

Quite frankly, I'm more interested in what MLB does to the club. This is somewhat uncharted territory. I don't think Kennesaw Mountain Landis or Happy Chandler or even Bowie Kuhn could've envisioned this scenario.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, I know I'd want someone to spend quite more than 4 years in prison if they were to hack into my bank account and steal $1.4 mill from me. And I know I would want someone who takes a life to serve more than that. But our prisons are full for myriad of reasons that I don't believe are right, but that's a different post that I don't care to get into. And because of this criminals get deals that reduce time served, which sucks for the victim or victim's family.

Personally, I don't care what happens to Cards. Pro and college sports is corrupt across the board and my interest in them has nose dived because of it. Thanks FIFA, NCAA, and NFL, you gave me a lot of freedom on my weekends.