1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

JK ain't the only one feeling the heat, in fact der Kaiser is in air conditioning compared to Manual de la Torre, the manager of Mexico. The EL Tri federation never hesitates to sack a coach if results ain't going their way, in fact they've fired coaches who win. Mexico only managed a draw at home v Jamaica, and now have to travel to Honduras where they haven't won since 1993 :shock: .

If the Raggae Boyz want to make a serious run at qualifying they need to get all 3 points versus Panama at home. The visitors would gladly take a 0-0 result and get on the plane.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

stream for Mexico at Honduras, it's on right now. I think Mexico is up 1-0 with a goal from Chicharito. The screen isnt showing the score but the comments make it look like 1-0. Since Mexico winning is likely in the USA's best interest, I'm glad that Mexico is a lot easier to cheer for these days.
    http://msnlatino.telemundo.com/deportes/el_tri/live_stream/en_vivo

3. Clevelandmo

Honduras v Mexico ends in a 2-2 draw. Not a bad result for the USA. Wondering if they declared a national holiday in Honduras for this match the way they did when the USA was there.

4. SoCalJoe

Didn't see the link for the stream, so was only following it on soccernet. 2-2 final. El Tri blew a two goal lead, both by Chicharito. He did have to be subbed due to an injury in the 65th.

EDIT: Beat me to it Mo, I did read that the Honduran media was making fun of El Tri in the build up since they haven't won there in almost 20 years. They were smart enough to play it in the maximum heat.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Honduras now with 4 points from 2 matches is in the catbird seat. Everybody else has 1 point except for us. Since it's going to be between Mexico, CR, and us for the other two slots, we REALLY need the 3 points tonight. Realistically, Mexico should have 5 after Tuesday. It would be nice for us to have 3.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Total
    # Team GP W T L GF GA DIFF PT
    1 Honduras 2 1 1 0 4 3 +1 4
    2 United States 2 1 0 1 2 2 +0 3
    3 Panama 2 0 2 0 3 3 +0 2
    4 Mexico 2 0 2 0 2 2 +0 2
    5 Jamaica 2 0 2 0 1 1 +0 2
    6 Costa Rica 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1

I know it's incredibly early, but would anybody have predicted Mexico in 4th at the start of WCQ at this moment? A tie with Jamaica and Honduras can't be sitting well with the team or their supporters. I guess that might mean UH-OH for the US on Tuesday? But I would really love for the guys to rub some salt in those wounds.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Saw in the highlights last night that J. Hernandez's first goal was assisted by Carlos Salcido. Good to see that he's still playing well.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And.........

Donovan has regained the "feeling" and wants back into the USMNT. This can only be good for the attack, i.e., the U.S. may actually be able to attack an opponent w/ Donovan. Hopefully there's not bad blood b/w him and the rest of the squad.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/03/ref ... ent-834155

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he has that itch back but the question will linger as to whether Klinsmann is itching to have him back. I hope the answernis yes or that Donovan lights up the MLS making it impossible not to open the door.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

A fighting Donovan is good to have on the team. Is the team and coach willing to let his absence during qualification be overlooked without animosity? Probably for him, but doubt many other players would get such treatment. He is a special player, just wish he was always "there."

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bring Donovan back. We need both him and Dempsey on the pitch if we're going to have a chance to get to Brazil. If JK doesn't want to bring him back FIRE THE GERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not about JK's ego; it's about getting our best XI out there.

12. nevzter

Let's pretend - if JK is sacked, then a short-term, proven, manager is required to reach Brazil. I present to you: Guus Hiddink (although he's probably making 10 billion rubles a year at Anzhi). Let R. Martinez, Kinnear, Sigi or Kreis take over thereafter.

Donovan has earned the right to take a break - he did, and now has expressed his desire to come back into the fold (and work for his spot). It's all water under the bridge at this point and I hope JK and LD can kiss and make up.

13. SoCalJoe

If one believes the recent quotes of both Donovan and Klinnsmann it doesn't sound as though they have an issue off the pitch, and it's obvious to everyone that the team desperately needs him. The biggest issue LD has, is to prove to his teammates that he's committed.

14. nevzter

Der Kommissar on Donovan:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/04/kli ... nteed.html

Much of it, I assume, is coach-speak. Because I must be Tommy as I've missed the attacking players coming through the ranks to which JK refers.

Nobody else brings to the table what Donovan still can for the USMNT - call him up, JK, as he may save your job...and help qualification. @#&^%$!

And if JK is taking a hard-line approach, I present to you the Chandler situation as a control group. As I said before, Donovan earned the right to take a break, and equally, he's earned the right to be (automatically) recalled if he so desires as he's rounding back into form.

15. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Nev, let me ask you a what if. What if a few of the core players like.Demps and Bradley met with Klinsman and told him if Donovan wants back in let him earn his way back through the Gold Cup? What do you think a Klinsman interview might sound like? This may be all Klinsman and it may not be. I said ages ago that if I were one of Donovan's teammates I would have felt like he let me down. He would have to earn my respect back.

16. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

After reading the article, I came away with the impression Barry suggests, that this is likely coming from the team more than JK. And more power if that's the case. Donovan hasn't "earned" the right for automatic recall. He didn't just take a break, he bailed on his teammates at a time, when you could argue, they needed him most. If they harbor resentment over that and have lost confidence in him as a result, they are the ones who have "earned" that right. Especially since they navigated that stretch of matches and now look a good bet to qualify w/o him.

17. nevzter

I can understand the player angle and will respectfully disagree that he hasn't "earned" his sabbatical. However, I guess it's a case of whether the players want to have their feelings hurt or they want to put the best squad on the pitch for qualifying. If the US is playing its best XI, then Donovan is on the team sheet.

18. tim

tim Active Member

It certainly seems like squad dynamics are in play here...as opposed to JK simply making a decision on his own. Whether that means Bradley/Dempsey/Howard or other team leaders are exerting influence or not, I don't know. With other reports that there are already schisms among the players that are getting called up, it's not good news.

I have no doubt that if qualification is seriously in question (knock on wood that won't be the case), Donovan will find himself in the starting XI faster than a Steve Sidwell red card (too soon?). Perhaps some struggles in the Hex will actually be good for them. Adversity can galvanize a team. and while Donovan riding in to save the day is image no one is probably comfortable with (including LD himself), he can certainly bring some veteran leadership (not to mention skill) if the team is lacking both at some point later on.

In any event, this nonsense better be worked out by WC14.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

They can snub him at the Brasil14 Prom, then. The thing is, that without him, we might not get to the World Cup finals. In my opinion, -- and others -- the addition of Donovan immediately enhances Jozy's AND Deuce's game. We're struggling worse than I can remember since the 1998 Finals in France. The German has to stop being an asshole and remember that it isn't his job to be THE MAN, it's his job to get us to Brasil.

20. Clevelandmo

^ this and how many times does Klinsmann need to demonstrate he cant manage the players