The Hex Opener: US v Mexico

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 5, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

3. jumpkutz

nevzter likes this.
  4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Pleased to see Carter-Vickers in the squad. Two years from now, he'll be the best central defender the US has -- and quite likely starting in the Premier League.

5. SoCalJoe

If he is better than John Brooks in 2 years, who is our best and only getting better himself, then we'd really be on to something special.

Really bummed about Cameron, I'm guessing JK will go with a Brooks-Besler combo. On the flip side it sure is nice to know Tim Howard is back between the sticks.

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I think it is more likely that we'll see either Birnbaum/Brooks or Omar/Brooks since Brooks and Besler both seem to prefer to be slotted in on the left.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Yup, my guess is Omar/Brooks.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm fairly sure that JK will bring in Carter-Vickers for a five minute cameo in the second match, just to tie him to us.

nevzter, encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.
  9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Getting excited in 3, 2, 1... Looking forward to this one.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  10. SoCalJoe

High of 54 in Columbus tomorrow, which means it's going to be in the 40's come kickoff :)

HatterDon likes this.
  11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Pulisic looks like he is going to be a good one. Wood-Altidore looked great in the second half. Nine more of these bad boys.

Onwards and upwards.

nevzter likes this.
  12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Tough loss - a point I thought was Rough start but righted the ship and for long portions of the match in the second half the US looked good. Thought a point would be fair overall (with thanks to the woodwork) and then the announcer stated 'this is the first corner of the night for Mexico' and I thought "bad time to get the first corner jitters." Bam. And it had to be Marquez. Definitely room to improve for the US. It's a long and winding road...

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A funny thing happened on the way to dos a cero. I agree with Lax Attack. I've not seen Jozy play better for the USMNT against quality opponents and Wood was our man of the match, IMHO. I was cursing JK almost from the beginning. We're doing a 3-5-2 and our best possible wingback is on the bench. We looked like we were playing Germany or Spain for the first 20 minutes, but the coaches eventually figured out what to do.

Question: am I the only one who yelled "Fulham" when Mexico scored in the second half? About a minute before the announcer asked the question, I turned to HatterMom and asked "Why was there nobody on the far post?"

It was a bitch losing the point in the last five minutes, and a bad result on Tuesday could cause us a ton of nervous moments for quite a while, but I like the way we adjusted and took the match to them in the second half. I hope that bodes well for us in the future.

14. jumpkutz

Regardless of personnel or tactics, I'm of the opinion of one thing: they deserved the result. We were outhustled and outplayed all night. They got every 50-50 ball and won almost every second ball. They were always a step quicker and faster. And that will earn you what you deserve almost every night.

HatterDon likes this.