The Great Global Warming SWINDLE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Read the commentary on Real Climate, they're outraged and many concede to not watching two seconds of the thing. They do however point out some interesting things.

Since this was made to prove a view point its not surprising that the producers would stretch a few things, the same way Moore stretches things in F911, and Bowling for Columbine, or how Gore makes a reach or two in Inconvenient Truth.

The problem for me is as I said I have trouble holding on to a C in Highschool Biology, both arguments look to me to be solid, but then what do I know. Nothing. Both sides seek to prove their view and I feel caught in the middle.

That said, much of the population seems to have defaulted into believing the Global Warming theory is set in stone. (While all the people who say its real are on the cover of Vanity Fair, so gee it must be right) type of thing. But this program points out some things which ought to be talked about.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

A concession, of sorts, by Monsiuer Petit?

You do realize the objects of your questions are quite easily interrelated. But I think this little snippet actually provides us your point of view more than anything else you have said or quoted so far. Good to know.

Haven't found the hour and a half or more to watch the movie yet or completely respond to your previous accusations. But the day is long.

3. crazy_neil

crazy_neil New Member

If you have read the paper that makes this claim, the comparison is the volume of CO2 emitted by volcanoes over the history of the Earth (~4.5 billion years) to that emitted by humans (~300 years). I am not surprised that volcanoes, given 1000000 more of an opportunity are able to surpass us. I think watching both movies is a good idea, but you have to be careful of what is put forth as 'fact'. Sometime it pays to check the sources.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's only a concession if you havent understood what I've been writing. Yes, I acknowledge warming cycles. Yes I acknowledge that CO2 may play a part... but PLEASE...
    The dogma of the New Cult is that man caused it and man must -or can- do something about it. It's THAT part I question.

Of course, as in any cult, the religious Zealots are threatening the unbelievers with death.

5. pettyfog

I'm not even going to put a link in this... you liberal/leftist lemmings can look it up for yourselves.

The evidence is coming in... in the mainstream international press, no less.

Every point I made is valid. There IS NO man-made 'GW' concensus the ONLY concensus is 'Gimme some research grants'!
    Amazing there have been papers found by about 500 different REAL scientists, many not addressing MMGW, that show these are natural cycles and within bounds.
    and
    ... bio fuels are distorting basic foodstuff prices.

I was raised on a farm, I know farming business problems .. 'WE' are being ripped off around the world by AGro-biz lobbies and idiot politicians.

The rain forests are in danger, the poor are seeing basic food prices going up and the only reason seed based 'Alt bio Fuels' can compete is thru subsidy... not just now, EVER!

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Brazil uses an alt-fuel using sugar cane that is more efficient than the alt-fuel we produce in the US. I'm definitely not an advocate of pursuing it at all costs, but I do at least recognize the potential of alt-fuels being economically viable, at some point in the future. i.e., it's not ready for prime time, but is worthy of continued research.

On Global Warming in general:
    - Greenland received its name because of the temperate climate in the coastal regions at the time of its discovery and initial colonization. It has gotten a lot colder since them.
    - England used to be known as the wine capital of Europe as it had the optimal climate for vineyards. It has gotten a lot colder since then.

The earth goes through heating and cooling as part of its natural cycle. I am unconvinced that the current warming cycle is anything more than that.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the ONLY reason we pursue corn-based rather than sugar-based alternative fuels is that the Iowa caucuses are more important than the Louisiana primary to people of BOTH houses. Anyone who has an inkling that they might want to run for president -- and that includes all 100 senators at any time -- doesn't want us to go to more efficient methods and risk losing points in Iowa.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: The Great Global Warming SWINDLE!

This is a big issue with regards to a response to global warming. Responding to global warming will most definitely affect poor people the most, because economies will shrink or slow down. The political sides in America and Europe who want to most stop global warming, also want more resources to go to the poor. You simply can't have both. It is actually a lot of environmentalists who have blinders on when it comes to global warming. Conservatives may not be as pro-poor as liberals, but Green liberals really could give a damn if the poor and working classes suffer as long as we're maintaining the current population levels of polar bears.

Research is definitely the key, because right now there is no alternative source that can replicate our fossil fuel system. It is an engineering problem. Ag-based alternative fuels are woefully inefficient though and won't work. Ethanol is simply not viable on a mass scale and doesn't even totally reduce carbon emissions.

9. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: The Great Global Warming SWINDLE!

Thanks for the thoughtful input... it's apparent to me that anyone who even THINKS about this is ahead of the curve relative to the politicians making the decisions. Because WE have to use common sense to live our daily lives while a politician is usually just a failed lawyer.

As to Iowa, I have this amazing optimism... I think the majority of Iowans presented the facts would NOT base their elections on narrow focus issues.

I'm gonna repeat..ANYTHING you grow for fuel is inefficient and potentially environment damaging. Even sawgrass.
    There is NO oil shortage, period!
    Find a way to make the mobile oil use more efficient, switch to nukes for stationary use.

Make power a cabinet position overseeing a 'national non-political' committee to designate rights of way for refinery and transmission.

Sorry you built your high end housing there.. tough shit.

Teddy, you too.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: The Great Global Warming SWINDLE!

Six months on I still have the same general feeling. There has been a ton of media push on this and it is now not an option for a public figure to come out against the consensus on this. If you’re labeled a "climate change denier" you'll face an onslaught and be ostracized. Similar to how you would be if you used the "N word"(unless you’re a rapper) the other "F word" or demean the troops or military in anyway. Sometimes the creation of these social taboos can be good as is the case in with the "N word" but most of the time it just stifles debate and is no good in my opinion.

One view I heard on the subject the other day, the world has been lost and saved many times. That’s right really, we human tend to latch on to things and run like hell with them. The modern media can only intensify this. I’m open minded but still less than sold.