"The Game": Aftermath - No Rematch, Please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 19, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It has turned out as I said.. or feared; Michigan a 3 point loser in Columbus, which may result in them ending up ranked as #2 at the end of the season.

Mike Hart of Michigan said after the game that he wanted a rematch and that it would turn out differently on 'neutral turf'.

It very well might... the problem with that idea, though, is that the National Championship game is being played in the home of the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is 'neutral ground' you havent been paying attention the last few years.
    It might as well be Paul Brown Stadium. Guarantee Buckeye fans already have scooped up most of the hotel accomodations... and to locals who are interested, the Buckeyes are probably their second team.

There's lots of opinion in the press.. including the Detroit papers.. against a rematch, and I think they are right. It would cheapen the unique BCS process which I'm beginning to like more and more {obviously dont know if I'd feel the same if the Buck's lost, but I think I would}.

And if OSU plays someone else and beats them soundly, and Michigan trounces whoever they play in the Rose Bowl, that will do more to establish who is really king on the hill than if they played each other.

Unless you want to see the Buckeyes REALLY paste the Wolverines.. which I dont.

2. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I dont want to see a rematch either, I think it would cheapen the National Champion but I do think Michigan is the second best team in the nation. Also I would love to here all the Michigan fans bitch and cry about not having a rematch.

3. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Yeah, but what the hell happened to Rutgers in Cincinnati?

All the talk radio shows here were full of..'what if Rutgers go undefeated for the rest of the season, should they be in the final?' I guess we got the answer to that one a lot sooner than expected.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Sorry to be blunt, but FUCK the whole BCS system. It is complete garbage. I would be saying the same thing even had Michigan won.

Don't give me any of this "cheapen the BCS" crap. It is cheap and a pile of shit in the first place. Lord help us all if they actually got two teams who are the best in the country playing against one another.

I don't understand why there is NO playoff system. I know it is all about money and such, but it just pisses me off to no end that there are idiots out there, yes, i am calling out all of you on here, who think there should NOT be a rematch.

Do you honestly think USC, Florida or lord help us all, Arkansas, can give them a better match than Michigan did?

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Ohio State v. Boise State in the Fiesta!!!

Neva, eva, eva, gonna happen.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: "The Game": Aftermath - No Rematch, Please

And thank God.. It should not happen. Boise State would get hammered by no less than 40.

If you are not in a big time league (no, the Big East is not a big time league), you better play some tough non-conference teams if you expect to get any respect from myself and the pollsters. If no, piss off and enjoy your MicronPC.com bowl.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: "The Game": Aftermath - No Rematch, Pl

Wha, you mean Oregon State doesn't classify??? (note sarcasm)

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There is no national champion in Div 1 pointy football. Your attention is invited to the "BCS Championship Game" a couple of years back where LSU beat Oklahoma. The result? EVERYONE in the press referring to last year's BCS championship game as USC's chance to win three straight national championships [the first, of course, they "won" when they didn't go to the "BCS Championship game."

Either have a playoff, or admit that there is no championship game or champion. I'll grant you that OSU and Michigan deserve to be rated #1 or #2, but how many times [outside of hockey] has the NCAA championship game in any sport been between 1 and 2. That's why they have a tournement.

What a joke; what a joke.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree with you Don. There should be a playoff. Effin' dumbass college presidents are the ones holding this back from happening. Giving us excuses like "the student-athletes" need to do their school work and they need time with their families over Christmas, etc. Rubbish!! Complete Rubbish!!

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Another subject I have spent too much time thinking about. My opinion is create farm system a la baseball, footie, etc., that young players who do not want to study in college can go playn in and develop their game. Then creat a playoff sytem or not for REAL student-athletes who play in college. Then that guy in the fraternity who thinks he can play better than the starting cornerback can get his shot, and at least the college football team players and student body can actually fell like they really are part of the same school. No reason not to apply it to basketball also.

11. pettyfog

Okay...IF there's a playoff, the same arguments still exist, they are only shifted.

It's 'one and out' and in some, or maybe many, cases there will still be arguments as to which was really the best team. Esp if the first game is played at the Leaders home stadium.

As it is now the entire season is a playoff of sorts and I cant understand footy followers, of ALL fans, insist that what's BAD for MLS* is GOOD for college football.

* Accepted that too many MLS teams are involved.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

In college hoops it is one and out and no one complains. I would just like to see a playoff system. I could care less what MLS does or the Premiership for that matter. I am talking about college athletics and in every other division of college football there is a playoff system and I see no reason why there should not be one in D-1A. It's all about $$$$ though. Which to me, is just dumb because if set up right, a playoff system could generate more money than ever for college athletics.

13. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Game": Aftermath - No Rematch

We already HAVE that system... it's called 'Junior College' or CC.

For folks that argue the liberal line on here, all the time, that attitude is amazing... we already know that many college jocks ended up with few or no skills, and there are attempts NOW to prevent that in the major schools.

While the major schools have done what they can to IMPROVE the academic qualifications of 'scholarship' players, the Ivy League opted out altogether.. there's a good article in the NY Times on that, if you care.

Meantime, there's a place for the Craig Krenzel's of the world to achieve both in sports and academe.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Game": Aftermath - No Rem

You don't get paid in a JC or CC, usually.

Start over Petty. You need to re-think your assumptions about me also. I don't fit quite so neatly in the box you'd like to put me in. Doubt any of us do.

15. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Game": Aftermath - No Rem

You often argue the liberal line on here... yes or no? How is that putting you in a 'box'?!!!!

The POINT is that NOW the colleges ARE getting back to the 'student athlete' prototype... yes, even if it's 'Communications' which USED to be taught in HS; before we had to take 'Cultural Heritage' into account and not bruise self-esteem, but that is a whole different subject.