The Future of Footy Broadcasts in the States

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 26, 2008.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It's an interesting study and opinion, but probably ends up presenting more questions than answering them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9702 ... in-america

First of which would be to many, would ESPN help or nearly destroy the enjoyment of watching fitba here?

(Slightly surprising stats about Euro 2008)

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

One important thing to note: the Nielsen ratings only include in-home watching; out-of-home watching (i.e., watching at bars or at the homes of friends) is not captured in the ratings.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't object to the crawl on FSC nearly as much as I do the double screen ESPN uses to promote or report on other sports. It reduces the socceer-showing surface to about 25 or 30%. So far, I haven't missed anything significant as a result, but it seriously interrupts my synch with the flow of the match.

As for announcers, I wouldn't object to hiring a half-dozen Brits to broadcast all the MLS matches. And I certainly don't want any Americans to broadcast Prem matches -- unless, of course, they'd like to hire me. 8)

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I'd hire you Don. You would be good at it I think.

5. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

from a UK eye and ear,the US presenters of football etheir US or Prem are just a joke and a bad one at that.They are trying to turn it and present it as a US game and talk about in a US way-it does'nt work,if it's not broke don't fix it! All you need is a UK ex manager and a US player(McBride?) to talk you through the games and a comantator to do just that-talk about what is happening-no stats,no fancy screen shots just the game and only the game!
    Tradition is sooooo important in UK football and if your TV plugs into that you'll be fine! :banana:

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I agree with the people on this website (I know, shocking).

But what is really shocking, or at least confusing, is the number of MSL mental midgets who think they are creating a whole new genre. They cling to the Americanization of world football as if it is a natural and proud perversion of the world's most Beautiful Game.

Truth is, it is not. Actually, MSL and how it is broadcast is the son of bitch bastard, contrary to the very uncomplicated union that has stood the test of time.

As was said, if it ain't broke, don't fuck with it. Even if you think you are the marketing genious of the sports world.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

My only concern with ESPN is where will the games be during college football season when ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN Classic/ESPNU/ESPN360.com all have college football games on.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I've seen that question asked before, but have you ever seen a college football game on at 9:00 a.m.??

Seems ESPN could get the early matches on Saturday and Sunday. FSC and Setanta could keep the laters one.