The Dempsey and Dembele to Spurs thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, May 10, 2012.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Re: The Dempsey a̶n̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶m̶b̶e̶l̶e̶ watch thread

This is almost as sad. Didn't expend much time or effort for this. Where would we be without him? Why even bother. Seriously. Bad, bad, bad on all sides.

"Fulham Football Club can confirm that, on Friday evening, Clint Dempsey joined Tottenham Hotspur.

Clint was a very influential player for Fulham over a number of seasons and the Club thanks him for his contribution and wishes him well for the future."

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Where'd you see an interview with Dempsey?

I'm actually of the mindset that there is no real benefit to the truth coming out. We all pretty much knew his last match was the last time we'd see him play for Fulham. While holding out, if that's even true, isn't the most noble of things (and too common here in most of our sports), it allowed Fulham to prepare for the season without him which is something we've undoubtedly benefitted from. We got the money (or very close) that the club reportedly valued him at. All in all, he didn't harm the club any more than leaving in any other way would have. So I see no further benefit from him badmouthing anyone, even if it is to defend himself. The very people who he'd be trying to improve his name with would either be offended that he damaged the club with accusations or wouldn't have changed their minds regardless of what he says or does.

As for the tweet, it was likely just the same instinct to defend himself that we all (or most of us) would have when our reputation and character are disparaged. Especially if we felt that the other party wasn't being honest. I don't think it was intended as any sort of promise. I could be wrong and maybe he'll talk at some point. If so, it'll likely be in an interview with American media and whatever he says will be carefully crafted in much the same way as the messages the club put out there during this mess has been. Either way, I doubt it would give anyone any sort of solace and would only serve to reignite a fire that is currently extinguished by his departure. I'd rather he say something nice about his time with the club and it's fans, share the blame (as I'm sure we can all agree there's probably no scenario that would make him 100% innocent in this) and move on.

I'm sure there are those who will go on with the Champions League stuff, but a player can't control who comes in for them. Many of us thought someone would at the close of last year. Many pundits out there thought the same. However, if a CL team doesn't, at the age of 29 & coming off your best year, you probably have to go with the next closest thing. In my opinion, City, ManU and chelsea are pretty much locks and Tottenham and Arsenal will be fighting for that last CL spot. Regardless, any CL criticism assumes staying at Fulham was an option. With the club accepting a bid from Villa today, I have to assume it was not.

That's just my take on it though. Everyone is entitled to their own.

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Seems to be our standard going away statement.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was going to quote Shinerbockguy (great to see your posts again) w/Clint's pic on the previous page, but I too wanted to vomit.

5. tim

tim Active Member

I was going about my business this evening, running errands, grabbing dinner, trying not to think about this. But, inevitably, it would pop back into my head: Dempsey plays for Spurs now. And I'd want to throw up (seems to be a pretty universal reaction). Maybe not the last place I'd want to see him, but darn close. I swore I'd root for Dempsey except for when he was playing against us. But I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I really, really, really don't like Tottenham.

6. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)

I may be in the minority here, but if Clint had to leave and still stayed in England- the only teams I could really take him going to would be Arsenal or Spurs. I was forced to accept that he was leaving with the whole Liverpool fiasco and related fallout- so I pretty much skipped all the stages of grief straight to "Acceptance" (I have perspective on this and don't mean to lessen the grieving of people who've actually gone through tragedy, I'm just using a metaphor). I was hoping he'd go to a CL side somewhere on the continent, but him going to Man U or Chelsea would've made me violently ill (the only positive would've been using the "You were supposed to destroy [insert team here], not join them!" Star Wars meme- and obviously, that is more than overwhelmed by all the negatives). After the whole situation with Liverpool, I really didn't want him to go there either. Still, I wanted him to save some face by going to a side with a legit shot at the Champions League, which leaves Arsenal or Spurs. Most of the Arsenal fans I've met are smug and/or glory hunters (they're not nearly as bad as Man U fans- and I absolutely love the book "Fever Pitch" and the original film with Colin Firth, but still they're a "Big Four" team...), so all things considered of the teams at the top I'd go for Spurs (since I consider City's spending spree disgusting, Man U's fans are terrible, Chelsea is our biggest rival, Arsenal's Big Four, etc.).

Of course, I'm NOT actually happy to see Clint leave, but I'm relieved if he was staying in England that he didn't end up elsewhere and that both FFC and Clint managed to save face, even if they parted on poor terms. I understand people's revulsion to Spurs since we haven't beaten them in the league since November 2008 and they knocked us out of the FA Cup Quarterfinals a couple years back, but again among worst case scenarios- this might be the best.

One of the reasons I don't really follow individual sports is because individuals can fail off the pitch/field/court as human beings in really awful ways (domestic violence, sexual assault, attempted murder, etc.) whereas, except in incredibly rare cases like Penn State football (and even there, it had nothing to do with any of the players on the team), a team can't fail to the same degree- obviously having a verbal spat with your employer isn't in the same stratosphere as those things, but it was really hard to see my favorite player fight with my favorite club. Truth be told, Clint will remain my favorite player though- I was a Fulham fan before I was a Clint Dempsey fan and I was a Clint Dempsey fan before he joined Fulham (his goal against Ghana and ensuing celebration in the 2006 World Cup was the moment I started to like him, I was thrilled when he transferred to Fulham 5 years ago...), I'm just glad this saga is finally over. [I think I'm able to take this in stride, partly because I've spent my whole life as a White Sox fan watching all my favorite players- from Robin Ventura to Frank Thomas to Jose Valentin to Mark Buehrle leave via free agency or trades- I'm hoping against hope that Paul Konerko can retire in a White Sox uniform].

~ Steve

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I am not overly surprised by this. Insert Tottenham for Arsenal and this played out pretty much as I thought it would. Thannks to Clint for his service to the club. Time to move on.

8. tim

tim Active Member

Dembele scored for Spurs today. Is it too early to start drinking?

9. jumpkutz

Too early to quit, for damn sure.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That sux.
    I've actually got an Arse shirt {30 yo} shirt around here somewhere. It was between it and Spurs shirt. And based purely on coolness of the badge at the time.
    Just KIDDING folks.. good luck to him >>> Clint<<< couldnt care less about Dembele or Spurs

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The ol' cock and ball - decide which is which...

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/prem ... ture-09012?

Glad that he is just moving on and not looking to settle any old grudges.

13. jumpkutz

Clint posted a link to the story on his fb page. Some of the comments are sad. Very un-Fulham like. Like stuff you'd expect from Liverpool supporters. Oh, yeah, they're their too.

http://www.facebook.com/clintdempsey23

14. jumpkutz

The actual interview...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-0Iq9emGI[/youtube]

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

But like I said earlier, if Clint had done for Liverpool what he's done for Fulham, I dont think the Liverpool supporters would be trashing Clint like Fulham supporters are; he'd be King Clint. It's really disappointing and Fulham has fallen a notch in my eyes because of it.

16. Clevelandmo

17. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Big losers in the Deuce fiasco - 'Pool.

Clint didn't come out looking that good, but the fact that he hasn't slung obscenities and mud on the way out is nice - a few goals and it'll all blow over for him. Jol didn't look good, but if we can score goals and compile enough points to stay above the relegation fray (not terribly optimistic though) - he'll come out ok.

'Pool, on the other hand - looks stupid. Their fans are livid. Watching the loss vs. the Arse was funny - thinking they sure could've used Deuce (or any goal-scorer, really). Letting Carroll go without replacing him - dumb. Paying large amounts for Borini (Roma wasn't that interested in keeping a young Italian striker? should've been a hint there), Joe Allen (though he may be good) - but not buying goals? Oops. Should've kept Ji-Sung Kuyt. Not to mention the money they threw away previously on guys like Downing, et al.
    It makes me kinda giggle a little. I can't wait for all the "Being: Liverpool" jokes and puns that are soon to pop up.

18. jumpkutz

[quote="Clevelandmo"} I wish Dempsey would say what was said that wasnt true.[/quote]

I suspect, in time, we'll learn the truth. The variable is, how much time.

19. Clevelandmo

There you go, and I believe him since McBride and Nicols backed him all the way through this. Fulham :naughty: or perhaps it was all Jol and Sarah Brooks because Clint did officially thank Al fayed for taking a chance on him. hmmmm

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z25l11Hw6P
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...lint-dempsey-tottenham-usa-jamaica/index.html

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... ompted-his