The death of a club

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Jacob, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

This isn't EPL news, but I couldn't think of another place to put it. We don't really have a plain English league forum.

I don't have any ties to Scarborough Football Club, but I figured some people would be sympathetic to their cause. After reading the article I sure was.

The link the the story is here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A17747896

Even if signing the petition doesn't do anything I figure it was worth a shot.

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Great shout Jacob. I will never forget the support we recieved in the 80's from fellow fans when we were threatened with extinction.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

?? I was wondering what the problem was with council deciding.

Went to the club's site and I think I understand... looks like The Shed is already on the outskirts of town.

So this may turn into a 'political fight... whether council can point to monies they have spent on the ground if any as a retort to those club proponents who will say council are trying to get something for nothing out of inactivity.

This has probably happened before and is very similar to problems we've had in the states where a town will condemn private housing and acquire it to sell to a private commercial developer to increase tax revenue.

4. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Ah, I see. Well I hope it works out for them at any rate. It would be sad for a club that has been around in some shape or form since 1893 to become insolvent.

While we are on the topic of helping clubs, I remember a while back someone put up the "win a player for a club" link. Do we know what team won that?

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Yes, it was a coca cola campaign - Bradly Wright-Phillips was bought from Man City to Southamption after student Chantelle Legg won the 250,000 prize (I wish it has been one by a lower league club)!

http://www.coca-colafootball.co.uk/winaplayer/