The Boa Morte recollection and discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jan 5, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

-Chicago Tom on frontpage

so, how will this affect? Who will replace him on wing?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

At present time I am not exactly sure who will replace him. BUT....with the rumoured five million pounds they got for him, I think that is an ample supply of cash to bring someone in.

I also think his departure will allow for some new players to step up in leadership roles. Players like McBride, Michael Brown and others will perhaps be given bigger roles and one of them will be the captain. I vote for McBride in all honesty.

I just think it is a new day at Fulham. Out are the old signings made under Tigana and in are the new, hard-working players in the Chris Coleman regime.

Good move Fulham!!

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

There's a couple points to consider:

Seven years at any club is well over sell-by.
    Boa himself should have sought the move if for no other reason than to keep himself sharp

Sorry tom... have to point out, again that McBride has never accepted the armband. I think Brown would be good for the short term

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am aware that McBride has not accepted or even been offered the armband, but I think he would be a good candidate. I am not saying that as a biased American, because as you all know, I am far from that.

Brown is a good choice as well. As long as someone takes the armband who plays hard and works his socks off every match, I am okay with the appointment. It does not always have to be the best player, rather the hardest worker and best leader on the team. Both Brown and McBride fit those adjectives.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's some argument -- and I've seen it on the Offal -- that getting the armband changed Boa's game to the negative. Conversely, I think that both Zat and Brown shone in that role.

My bet is on Brown to be the captain.

As for who does it on the left wing, there we have a problem. 3Us can overlap, but we don't have a natural left-footed player left that I'm aware of. Whenever Radz or Routledge play over there they have to cut inside and switch feet to cross. We've nobody who can turn the FB inside-out, race to the baseline and cross from the left the way that Routledge and Rosenior [and Voltz] can do it from the right.

6. oliversummers

oliversummers New Member

Boa Morte

I just got back from London a few days ago and managed to catch all of Fulham's games. I've never been a huge fan of Boa's. The one outstanding contribution he made was that winner against Chelsea last year. That sums up his ability. He can do nothing for one or two games then something outstanding in the next game. He's going down with West Ham.
    I always questioned Cookie's choice to make him captain. Brown's going to do us proud though.
    Just a quick note about Wayne Routledge. No wonder Spurs put him on loan! He's small and quick but he needs to learn how to shoot!
    McBride was outstanding throughout the Christmas Period. He wins 99% of all headers he goes up for. Now that we'll have a quick striker, Montella, to run on to his head-ons we'll start scoring more.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

RE: Boa Morte

I have always been a big fan of Boa, it is no surprise that we lost the best of him when Saha went. Saha was the perfect partner for Boa, he could motor down the wing and put balls in knowing there was someone fast enough on the end to knock them in.

I think he will enjoy working with Zamora who is quick and when he is back fit Ashton will profit greatly from the work Boa does.

The other outstanding contribution that he made was the volumn of opposition players he put on yellow cards early in the match. It is a massive tactical advantage to any team to have a right back who cannot tackle for fear of getting sent off.

He was part of the best midfield I have ever seen at Fulham - with Malbranque, Davies and Clarke (I am too young for Key, Mullery, Haynes and Chamberlain).

While it is no longer relevant, giving the skippers arm band to a striker is normally a bad plan as they are not involved in enough of the game or get a good enough view of what is going on to be effective.