The Beckham Watch

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 9, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

which is why I did not see from the beginning, nor do I see now, any up side to the transfer of Beckham to Milan on the part of the Galaxy or MLS. He is worth more to those two entities than he is to Milan, and Milan is not offering the type of compensation they would need to offset financially, never mind in terms of prestige.

which is why I'll believe it when I see it. Why am I so skeptical, aside from the "no upside" argument? Here's several recent reasons:

Daniel Cousin, Peter Lovenkrands, Marlon King, Sami Hyypia, Gooch Onyewu, etc. etc. etc. etc. -- all definitely signing with Fulham in the last 18 months or so.

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

This is such a weird deal. There has been so much bad info in the press, I'm not sure what to believe. Either way I just want it done so I can stop hearing about it, expecially from the non soccer media on espn.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

It is done. So now it is just a question of how he is going to play when he makes his way back to MLS. He should have a nice little break between the end of the year with Milan and when he will be playing in MLS so hopefully he will recharge his batteries and come in with the intent to play well.

Of course he could come in and be a big whiner and put out very little.

Either way - he is back for little more than a cameo. Wouldnt it be funny if Galaxy were playing well, and he returned and they started dropping points...

Regardless... David Beckham - Frrrrrrrrrrrr..... Galaxy - Frrrrrrrrrrrr.....

5. EricD

EricD New Member

I wonder how the guy who is going to be playing on the right for the first half of the season is going to feel as the time nears for Beckham to arrive. It might be Mike Magee (young MLS veteran).

I think Beckham will put forth a good effort when he returns. He always has for every team he has played. He still has to impress Capello to stay on the radar for the 3 Lions. I think I read that there are going to be 3 matches that he can potentially appear. I think I also recall that the Galaxy will have to release him for at least 2 (assuming he is called).

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7933407.stm

This is more for you MLS supporters. Does this revelation change your opinion any or ease the aggravation for the way this deal has gone down?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Is he going to move it to Milan occasionally?

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I think it all still makes sense to Beckham. Shunned in Europe (actually, he really was), he came to the States not knowing much except he could probably help a league that could absolutely, positively use the help. He got here, he helped, and the he realized, "crap, I'm better than they had me thinking." So true to a real premier athlete, rather than packing it in and collecting the check, he is now continuing to push himself for the remaining 2-3 years that he has left in the tank. You honestly cannot blame him if you have any respect or consideration for being an athlete that is good at any sport. It is a no-brainer.

That said, I think he really likes the U.S.A. and will want to try to continue to improve things here, albeit off the pitch. He'll feel he owes some of it to the States, but mostly I think he wants to see the game succeed here, or anywhere.

So I'd say, don't be a DICK to or about Beckham. Whatever you want to say about the guy, I think he stays true to a premier athletes convictions. And to compromise less, is a HUGE disservice to being.... human.

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Get a room!

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don't just dismiss my man-crush!!!
    David and I could find a beautiful place on the Amalfi Coast and hang out in our underwear all day. Victoria would of course have to do the same.

You, and Alexi Lalas, are just jealous...

11. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I dont know - Victoria is like walking death with two cantaloupe halves shoved in her chest. Maybe if you got her to eat a little I would be jealous.

If he comes back and puts in a shift then I wont fault him.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It doesnt surprise me a bit. I always assumed some connection with the soccer world after he hung 'em up.

Jensers.. if you'd bothered watching the Victoria Special when they came over, you'd understand that she plays the role she expects people want her to play. She came across much more human than the media would have you believe.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Fog, I did watch that show and that's an hour of my life that I will never, ever get back.

14. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Just having a laugh...

I am sure she is a fine person.

I do like a little bump in the trunk tho.

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: THIS JUST IN..........

For some, yea MANY, being 'at home' makes you fat, as opposed to TDY. UNLESS you use eating as a comfort exercise.. My four months in London, I lost 15 ill afforded pounds DESPITE an extra Big Mac value meal to keep up.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

THIS JUST IN..........

The Mexican food in Dubai isn't as good as it is in LA.

Quick quiz: how many FUSA posters suffer with a BFR as "poor" as Beckham's pre-Dubai 13.7%???????

Yeah, that's what I thought.

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Its what is on the inside that matters.

I mean come on - any fat ass knows that!

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

:3d smile: :3d funny: :3d laughing: