Terror strikes: press hyperbole

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 7, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Praying that the casualties are relatively few as they seem to report.

But again, I am struck by the overuse of the terms, "panick", "terror" and "chaos" in the reporting of events by the Brit press.

If the descriptions were applicable, there would be ultimate reports of "secondary casuaties" caused by overreaction. Such is rarely the case and that is as I would suspect from a society who has, as their legacy, the endurance of the Blitz, and more recently IRA "bombings for effect".

Despite the Headlines: Terror of passengers stuck on tube the text of the article tells a different story.
    Which is to say, everyone reacted normally to the surprise, then reason and survival instincts took over. In other words, there was NOT PANIC!

And never mind the plankish reactions, from the non-involved, such as:
    {ummm.. we are ALREADY in that war, idgit! And we were in that war BEFORE 9/11}

Brits are tough people... always have been and always will be... as long as they manage to keep the kneejerk, overwrought sympathies to a reasonable level, there is nothing that can ultimately bring England or her offspring to their knees.

2. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

This is a time to give our thoughts and prayers to those tragically impacted by this barbaric act. My wife has relatives who ride those tube lines and we will be anxiously awaiting to hear from them. You can rant about the media and make your stupid political statements once we know more about the scope of this tragedy. Show a little class - although in your case that may be impossible.

3. pettyfog

Of course, you are right.
    No reasonable human being could NOT have his thoughts going out to the victims and their families and friends.

As well as hoping and praying that there is no kneejerk reaction against the innocent observant people of Muslim faith.

Sorry that was not clear.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

CNN saying that 40 dead and I heard in the radio that over 300 injured being treated.

It seems like most of it happened in the Northern part of the city, but lets still hope our London friends and their families are ok.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Hello fellas. Well I arrived in London at about 7:30am this morning (London time) and to say the least I'm sickened by what has happened. Dan, I hope your wifes family is ok and from what I've heard thus far, all of our Fulham friends are ok.

6. ob

ob New Member

I'm still waiting to hear from friends in London. I'm sad that this has happened to my city, and sad that this was so inevitable...

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I've heard from all of my friends in West London. So I'm a little bit more at ease

still sickened though

8. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: Terror strikes: press hyperbole

Thanks Mike - hopefully we'll hear something by tonight. Please let our Fulham friends know that our thoughts are with them.

9. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: Terror strikes: press hyperbole

I'm sorry for being so nasty Fog. It's just that now's not the time for posts like your first one. Please wait a few days out of respect and until we really know what happened.

10. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Terror strikes: press hyperbole

It's no problem to me. And I understand your point. I dont agree with it but Ill respect YOUR view.
    Just that WHOEVER it was.. and that's not certain.. the idea was to strike terror.

And I get fricking tired of the press aiding and abetting the image of their goal when they write about it.

11. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Gutted...hate being this far from home....w@nkers. Mike, keep safe...I wish I was there with my family.

12. pettyfog

I realize that, in an interpersonal light, I appear to be oafish and classless, but my point is the larger view.

"Who is this and why is it happening".

Like most I kept glued to news all day just as i did on 9/11 where I actually watched the second plane go in. Like most, I had a sinking feeling.. and because I had worked with a NY based company, was sure that I was watching the end of someone I knew, at least as a casual business acquaintance.
    Only several days later did I find that a family friend was killed in the Pentagon crash.

I lost relatives and acquaintances both in Viet Nam and soon after return, due to what we now know is PTSD.

So i am not being cavalier about it..I truly believe that how we react to this and the path we take from here on is vital to the survival of civilization.

No surprise to any here that when I left the house due to business, I listened to Limbaugh... his content was about the ramifications and how we should proceed and who was commenting on the attack and their take on it.

Would it surprise you that he played the audio of Ken Livingtone's statement... would it surprise you that he posts it as exactly the RIGHT position to take?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.guest.html

Meantime, I switched over to Air America to hear what Stew Smalley had to say on it.. evidently the polls hadnt come back, because they stuck to their scripted show on Tom DeLay and his crooked pal Rep Cunningham with the second segment being mostly about Gitmo abuse.

Of course they occasionally threw in the requisite one or two line smarm about the tragedy but one could get the feeling they just hadnt worked it completely into a treatise proving that it was ALL Dubya's fault.
    Here's what was on:
    http://shows.airamericaradio.com/alfran ... /node/2938

And no... they really DIDNT deviate all that much.

I ask, humbly, WHICH content is most important to maintaining the "culture"... or lack of it... that we all know?

13. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Pettyfog has been itching...he waited his 24 hours to spin this politically...lets all give him a round of applause for being so patient

they're still dragging bodies out of the underground and you're spewing your political bullshit

14. pettyfog

That's just the point... it's NOT political. And read my post again, to TRY to understand WHY it isnt..

15. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

You cite Livingstone, Rush and Franken in your story and claim that its not political.

16. pettyfog

Wake the f#$$%# up and learn to read!

Rush (Right Wing 'fascist racist creep') said Livingstone (communist) was right.. Franken too busy bashing Bush and Republicans to devote a lot of time to it.

What Livingstone said got down to the core of what it's all about.

17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

The livingstone clip didn't work right for me

I'm just annoyed at your digs at air america...i know your chomping at the bit to teach us yunguns a lesson, but let it rest for a while

18. pettyfog

And I'm annoyed at your digs at Limbaugh.. so what!

They're often wrong, their people are the ones that use the personal expletives... but they got every right to do what they can get away with.

AGAIN my point is that, JUST LIKE the LAND CONFISCATION decision,... this defines where we are and where we are going. And should NOT involve politicization.
    -AND-
    I wouldnt yell if I didnt think you were smarter than this.

We can argue politics after we save civilization

19. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Terror strikes: press hyperbole

I rescind my apology. You really are a complete zero who doesn't know when to knock it off. There are still bodies in the tube and families who don't know where their loved ones are. in case you haven't heard.

20. Bee

Bee New Member

Regardless of political affiliation, wouldn't it just be great if we could just STOP KILLING each other?