talksport radio/fusa volunteer

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by dcheather, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The site received the following email from Talksport:

Anybody willing and able? Perhaps the perfect opportunity for someone who has been with us since the first version of the site and writes articles. :whistle: :cool:

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if nobody else is interested, I'll be willing to give it a shout. Now that I'm retired, there's a lot more of my own time available. Send me what details you have via email and give them my email.

I think it would be a good thing to get more than one of us involved. I'm thinking a woman of strong opinions who has lived near Leeds, went to college in Houston, and now resides by a lake somewhere where they have snow. Was I as subtle as you, Senator?

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Maybe not quite as subtle. :lol:

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Great opportunity for free press for the site!

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wait a second :confusion-helpsos:

How about another clue about the 2 people you guys are talking about? :angelic-green:

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Nice of you to think of me Hatter. I'm certainly willing to do it but I would prefer it to be as part of a team with you; it would be more fun. I actually did this once for an online skype broadcast in England called Sports Live Tonight since no one on here volunteered. It was fun and I dont think I came off looking too overly stupid and ignorant, just a little.

7. tim

tim Active Member

However this shakes out, please keep us posted. Do we know if the show is available for streaming? Any chance to hear it on this side of the pond?

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

If it's the same station I occasionally listen to on my lunch hour (when I get one), yes.

I listen to it via an app on my iPod called "TuneIn Radio" (yes, it's free, at least when I obtained it).

When you get the app, you can browse by location, via continent (Europe), country (United Kingdom), then pick "Most Popular."

It's the ninth choice down the dropdown list, between Capital London 95.8 (Top 40 Pop) and Choice FM 107.1 (Hip Hop).
    It's called "talkSPORT 1089 (Sports Talk).

You can mark as a preset, kind of like on your car radio.

They're fairly entertaining lads, but they don't seem to talk about Fulham much, at least when I've listened to them. This would be an opportunity to change that.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Right now there's a program on called "Andy Goldstein's Sports Bar." Right now they're spewing about DiMatteo and the dog trackers and Arsenal, Van Persie and Wenger. Typical, and not that unexpected really, since Arsenal just bowed out of the CL for this season to Milan, thought they gave it quite a go, didn't they?

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Thanks Jump! They have it for the android as well. There is a free one and I got to talkSPORT as you described.

11. tim

tim Active Member

Excellent. Thank you!

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The Senator told me that Skype is free, but my desktop doesn't have a microphone. I have recently gotten a new Macbook Pro that I'm only using for my new business endeavor -- for tax purposes -- that does have an inbuilt mic. Can anyone tell me if Apple makes a program similar to Skype, or if there's a version of Skype for Macs?

And I love the idea of tag-teaming with Ms. Maureen. I did a few podcasts with timmyg and various Brits, but timmy left that site for Craven Cottage Newsround.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Brilliant job at setting this up, everybody.

And, I'd be very interested in dropping into a broadcast, if for nothing else, than to put my audience to sleeeeeeeeeep.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Just go to skype.com and click on "get skype." There you will see the different downloads for each platform, including Mac. You'll need to create an account, which is free. After that the program will walk you through testing the sound and web cam features. You don't need to use the webcam if you don't want to, you can "call" others. Skype to Skype is free and there are some optional pay plans to use the call feature to call landlines and mobiles.

I hope this works out for the site as it would be good way to get the site's name out there. But it's still early. And I wonder what time and day these segments take place. Overnight in the UK can still be pretty late here in the States.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

give me a couple of days to get my feces assembled, and I'll let the Senator and Ms. Maureen know when I've downloaded it/figured out how to make it work.

16. Clevelandmo

I dont think I will ever hear the phrase "get your sh!t together" the same way again now that you've said that. Thanks for nothin' Hatter.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Still haven't heard anything from talksport. But if it doesn't work out, maybe we can put together our own "show," like there was on the old site?

18. Clevelandmo

I would love to hear Nevzter in a broadcast. I have a sneaking suspicion that no one listening would find themselves drifting into Lala land.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you should have a beer with hm sometime, Mo!

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I got a response from talksport. Here's the latest:

I replied that we had several volunteers willing and able, but we would narrow it down to one if needed. And I also mentioned HatterDon's concern about calling overseas and if Skype or a Skype-like service would be used to eliminate the phone expense. Let me know if you guys have any more questions at this point.

Basically sounds like it would be a quick 5 min discussion about Fulham with one of our members on their program, along with a bunch of other club's supporters as well.