Talking about Volz!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SCFulhamFan, Sep 28, 2006.

1. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good news! Have to admit I am much more of a Rosenior fan, but Volz has shown recently that he will play hard where ever needed. Maybe Cookie has plans for such.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Why isnt there a definitive discussion about whether Liam or Volz is better at taking the ball up and feeding it?

Whoever is, should be playing on the RW... leaving good opportunities for overlapping play.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

There is a young lad on loan from Tottenham, Wayne Routledge, who is so far quite impressive on the Right Wing. But, I think Routledge plays the LW position as well. With Boa out, that is very useful at present.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think Liam would be better in the midfield with Volzy at right-back. Until Boa gets back, Routledge will have to play on the left.

I think Liam is better on the ball and has better passing skills and can cross better. I would go with him.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I like what Volz has done in the right midfield. Until Boa comes back, I think he should continue to play there. The X-factor to me is Collins John. We need him to nab a goal and go on a nice run because I feel like everywhere else we've been pretty good...especially Brownie and Boca in the middle...I think they've done a terrific job of harassing the opponent and winning possession back for us.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Talking about Volz!

Off on a little detour, I think Boca will always be more effective either as an outside DB, or perhaps he can transition into a midfielder. He just doesn't have the size for a CB, in my opinion.

One thing, he and Volz have shown that they are good enough to fill-in anywhere on the pitch. I'm sure both of those guys would step up front if it ever came to it (hope it never comes to it). Two players who Fulham should hold onto dearly. They have the attitude, with enough skill, that we are looking for to define the type of squad that is representative of what Fulham is about!

COYW!!!

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Talking about Volz!

Can I ask why people feel think Boca and Volz have done so well in the midfield?

Have they filled in admirably and caused problems for the opponents? Yes.

Have they done anything productive to either set-up and create goal-scoring chances for the strikers? No.

The lineup the last two weeks has called for a defensive approach to the game and with Boca and Volz in the midfield we get that. Unfortunately, with those two having to play because of injuries and such, we are sacrificing our attack as both Boca and Volzy do little if nothing to hold possession and create scoring opportunities for the forwards.

People want to come down on Collins John, who is admittedly lazy at times, and the other strikers for not scoring goals, but these strikers need service from the midfield and right now they are not getting that with the midfield we have in there.

Playing in the center of the park does not just mean making good tackles. It also means holding possession, finding players in attacking positions in front of you, distribute the ball well and score goals once in a while.

Boca and Volzy have done okay filling in and in the situation the team was in, I cannot complain. However, in getting ready for winnable matches at Watford and at home to Charlton, I can't help but think if these two play, the attack will be yet again, non-existent. They bring nothing to the table offensively and to win games, you have to defend AND score goals. They can defend, but do nothing to help the team score goals.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good points. Unfortunately, we are one natural midfielder (at least) away from being on the offensive again. I'm afraid we'll have to bide our time and hope for lucky breaks until we get at least one more midfielder back.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

You are right that we do not have a natural midfielder to play right now because of injuries. That being said, when we do, we must insert that person into the lineup if we have any hope of trying to score a goal.

The lineup we have trotted out the last two matches might the be one to use if we are playing the big boys and looking for a draw.

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Talking about Volz!

great points....

No one said Boca and Volzy should be stalwarts at those positions for the rest of the season. They've done well in light of the situation for which they've been thrust into the lineup out of position...and in my opinion have done a great job. Are there better options for serving John? Sure...and had we played Watford or Sheffield Utd instead of Chelsea or Tottenham, I'm sure we would've seen them in there.
    As for John, no one is coming down on him either. I mentioned that he is just a goal away from what I feel will be an onslaught, and you're right...with better service I'm sure it will come soon.

Basically what i'm getting at...is in light of the injury situation, I feel we've preformed admirably and have confidence that the boys will bring their lunch pales everytime we step out on the field. Hopefully we can attack better than we have and get more W's. Agree Tom?

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Talking about Volz!

yep...that was my point...you're spot on as I knew you would be! haha

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Talking about Volz!

I am with you omsdogg. I just wish we did not have to play Boca and Volzy in such positions. However, with all the injuries, I have been proud of them and the rest of the team for their workmanlike performances.

I just hope one or two attacking and offensive minded midfielders will soon be available or we may not see a goal for quite sometime.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Talking about Volz!

Well, leave it to me to leave out the obvious disclaimer:

"When a sub for a natural RW is needed."
    Good that most of you caught the implication.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hey Gang,

For those of you addicted to Volzy.com/diary, here's the latest entry. Good news about the auction; a little non-committal about the results of Saturday's injury.

check it out!

http://www.volzy.com/diary.html