Superbowl Champions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dave2d2, Sep 26, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well said, if just a little hyperbolic.

UNTIL that time we'll be deluged by wonkish crap on the Manning connection and maybe even the fact that, previously, the Saints only ever made it this far in fiction.

Well, you will. Not only have I stopped watching 'news tv', I also quit watching ESPN studio stuff even before that.

OTOH, I think ESPN did a great job in their first blush of EPL coverage.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Tend to agree w/Andy's assessment, but the Saints can win, here's how; win the turnover battle (they won't get 5 like they did in the Minnesota game, but +2 is feasible), run the football (Pierre Thomas is the best rb, you've never heard of), get one or two big plays (punt return/kickoff return), take advantage of Dwight Freeny's (the Colts star defensive end has a torn ankle ligament) injury, and play up the underdog role (thought the Saints and even the Superdome crowd were tight v the Vikings, given the historical ramifications for the franchise) which should have them play looser.

All that said, Peyton Manning is right now at his peak. I'm not a Colts fan at all, and I'm sick of seeing his mug in commercials, but I can appreciate greatness. Put down the chips and salsa for a few moments on Sunday and watch him operate, because he's as good in his sport as anyone in the world is at theirs. Colts 38-24.

Superflous crap; The Who rolled out at halftime (they were old when I saw them 80's, great show then, could be sad on Sunday), Commercials: to say they've sucked the last 5/6 years is a huge understatement, how about making me laugh without hitting someone with a 2 x 4 or a rock?

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Saw them too, in 1988, I was a beer vendor and they came to town. They were old then, I thought that would be their last go around. Since The Wardrobe Malfunction, the NFL says you gotta play it safe to keep maximum $ coming in. I think I'll give the Who a miss this weekend.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I think they're going to suck, and people will start clamouring for more "edgy" performers. Like the Jonas Brothers.

And no, you cannot have a funny commercial that costs 3 million or so dollars and not include moronic violence.

5. pettyfog

Well, I say it every freaking SB, I'll say it again... the penultimate halftime act to alleviate the has-been fatigue.. or maybe make the show {excuse me, ADMIT the HT show is} a self-parody, would be Weird Al. And I dont mean Gore.

Suggest: Eat it, Amish Paradise, White'n'Nerdy medley

Hell, for the money I bet he would do all new topical stuff

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Mo. As for the question in the article..Yes, I waited 30 years for my team (Seattle) to get to one, and they scored fewer points than my wife's favorite team (Pittsburgh). I'm all too aware (even 4 years later if winning or losing is possible). As for the article itself...perfect example of why I dropped philosophy and took anthropology to fulfill my Humanities requirement 8)

8. pettyfog

I thought the Onion only did satire and parody!

Made sense to me.. I can always look back to how SF had to really TRY to beat the Bengals in those two SB's of the 80's.
    And how I can point out to Browns fans that they aint done shit since the sixties.

And then, there's the Buffalo Bills. Nuff said
    - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - -- - - - -
    Oh... and there's the site on best SB ads of all time. Latest generation TOTALLY misses the point of Apple's Mac commercial and for sure the Irony in it, when viewed today..
    This guy SORTA gets it, the irony I mean

Don't get me wrong.. that 1984 ad was the best of all time and anything else should be only contending for second place, but it was a freakin' LIE!

- The punch line was, Apple was going to continue to best 'The Man'.. read IBM... because they'd already made their inroads into middle level corporate management with the Apple II running VisiCalc spreadsheets.

Within two years, however, Jobs forfeited the premise of the ad and abandoned corporate sales, as well as any pretense to 'Open Computing'.

THAT market, he left up to Bill Gates and Michael Dell.

SOME of us were really pissed off about that. But you might now understand why I will defend Bill Gates to anyone.. ESPECIALLY dumbfuck Macintosh proponents.

Because I was there and I know the REAL story.

9. pettyfog

Heh.. actually a good game.

Saints impress. Everything else to do with the spectacle, not too much.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

An honest question here: I haven't watched an NFL half-time, pre-game, or post-game "experts panel" in ages: Was tonight's half-time group specifically collected to be the most boring, most abrasive, and least pertinent panel ever? Or is this pretty much what passes for standard studio quality "expert commentary" these days? They made The Who look edgy and sharp.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Don, there are annals written across the blogosphere and literature about how awful studio analysts are -- in all sports. I didn't see any of them tonight but I can only imagine it's on par.

I managed to find a BBC feed and instead of airing commercials they would cut to analysts breaking down plays right after they happened. Sure, some times they had to talk down to the audience, but it wasn't the nonsensical hyperbole ESPN, CBS, FOX, NFL Network, and NBC commit to all the time.

Honestly, I enjoyed the game more from a foreign presentation.

Oh, right, congrats NOLA.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

timmyg, you remind me of when I watched a game of the 1966 World Series on BBC in England. Frank Robinson hit a monstrous home run and the British in-studio commentator said that it was "a remarkable blast considering he wasn't using a flat bat."

Rich