Superbowl Champions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dave2d2, Sep 26, 2009.

1. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Who do you think takes it all in American Football this year? My pick: Baltimore Ravens

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not a bad call Dave. Since my Seahawks haven't got a prayer I'm pulling for New Orleans, who have the best offense since the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams. However, unless the Saints play a little defense I'm afraid Brett Favre can hand off to the best player in the league Adrian Peterson and have the last laugh. I'll pick the Vikings. I will add that a New York-New York Super Bowl wouldn't be a shocker.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's too early yet for me to pick a Team of Interest to follow.

Obviously I'll watch a few Bengals games but that has nothing to do with 'Superbowl'. For several reasons I will root for Ravens to implode.. {note I picked Steelers, for several years so the Div rivalry factor has naught to do with it}.

Since I'm a big fan of Kurt Warner, maybe I'll follow the Cards, depending on if they stay close in the hunt in the next few..

4. pettyfog

Well, it's still way up in the air, innit!

Just watched a helluva game.. Bengals at Vikings and I gotta say the Vikes are the real deal. Oakland was an aberration. This one wasnt.
    Despite all the penalties, they signified passion more than sloppiness.. that's my story, anyway.

Ah, well... just seeing the Bengals sweep the division is damned good for me. The 'old paradigm' would have specified that IF Bengals beat the Steelers and Ravens both games, Cleveland would have beat them once.

5. SoCalJoe

First playoff games in the books. The Jets and Bengals (sorry Fog) turn on a couple of performances. Very rarely comes a player that plays in New York and is actually underrated and under the radar, but Darrelle Revis qualifies. He is the best at what he does (go cover the other team's best reciever everywhere on the field, and shut him down) and makes the Jets even with a rookie QB, a dangerous team. Revis versus Reggie Wayne is must see tv next week. The other big swing in this game was the kickers. Jay Feely of the Jets not only made his kicks, but was pressed into emergency punting duties and did a great job. Shayne Graham of the Bengals?? misses 2 chipshots (35 and 28 yards) and doesn't give his team a chance to push the game into overtime.

Cowboys maul the Eagles...again. Proving last week was no fluke Dallas crushes McNabb and company. Felix Jones makes defenses look slow and can go to the house on any play. The NFL is a little better when the Cowgirls are really good or really bad (I like to hate/and or/laugh at them). They look very dangerous and capable of winning in Minnesota next week.

I'll take the Pats edging the Ravens at home, and the Pack being too much for an injury riddled Cards team (even in AZ).

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

You also forgot to mention how terrible the Bengals coaching was. Marvin Lewis should really lose his job over that.

Also, Carson Palmer was absolutely horrid -- receivers aren't 10 feet tall, buddy.

Thirdly and lastly, I hereby refuse to listen to TV announcers in this country. They can never say anything negative; they just spin things into a positive. Yesterday was a prime example: instead of pointing out that Palmer was having the worst game ever in the history of the postseason, they just lauded the Jets' secondary.

Hell, they might as well hire Baghdad Bob to shill, erm, call the games. What a goddamn joke.

7. pettyfog

It's all in timing, aint it! I feel like deja voo all over again! First the Crew's end of season performance, now this.

But.. speaking of that; No matter how horrid the Bengals looked; dont use that to downrate the Jets. I am truly impressed and wouldnt be surprised to see them in the big game.

Remember RLS!
    Momentum MEANS something! Peaking at EOS MEANS something!

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I hope it's not The Vikings. I so enjoy telling my friends and acquaintences up there when they ask "What's so great about San Antonio," that "Well, we have four more NBA Championships than you do and just as many NFL Championships as you do."

Come to think of it, Fabens, Texas [population 8043 sa-LUTE] has just as many NFL championships as MSP.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

The match-up we all want to see: San Diego v. New Orleans, 62 - 56 in 3 Overtimes.

The match-up we'll most likely see: Baltimore v. Green Bay, 15 - 3 all field goals.

10. SoCalJoe

Usually the best games of the season happen during this weekend. Some great matchups, and it would not be surprising for any of the road teams to win.

AFC; Baltimore at Indy; Can the Colts slow down Ray Rice and Willis McGahee? If they can, Flacco will throw a pick or two. The Colts have all the pressure on them since they took their foot of the gas pedal and choose not to go for the perfect season. I'll take the Colts...barely.

NYJets at San Diego; San Diego has scored at least 20 points in every game this season. Cincinnati was tailored made for the Jets, the Chargers aren't. The Lightening Bolts advance

NFC; Arizona at New Orleans; The Saints appear to be the classic team that peaks too early in the season. Kurt Warner showed (again) he can flat out scorch teams if given the time. I'm pulling for New Orleans, but something tells me the Cards squeeze out a tight one.

Dallas at Minnesota; The game of the weekend, Favre & Adrian Peterson vs America's Team. Minnesota's D has not been the same since their middle linebacker got hurt. Dallas is red hot and I think they go into that hostile environment and find a way to win.

11. pettyfog

[​IMG]

Jets
    Jets
    Brown
    Jets
    Jets
    :banana:

12. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Shonn Greene is a beast.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Why would anyone posting on this thread care about that article?

I am hoping to see a Saints-Colts Super Bowl but both conference championships have a good appeal for me. Saints-Vikings should be a good matchup and Colts offense vs the Jets defense should be interesting to watch.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Because if you have a forum where anyone can post, then anyone will. Cheers Barry!

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I figured the Cowboys-Vikes game would come down to which qb turned the ball over more. Unfortunately, my team came out on the wrong end of that one.

I've had a bad feeling about that crap kicker we'd brought back and it finally came to fruition.

But the real shocker was how poor Minn made the o-line look. Granted, Adams left injured, but the whole thing fell apart from there.

Good on them, I hope the Vikes take out the only people in the history of the world to endure a hurricane. Embarassed that the Cowboys are whining about running up the score though. Of course, being embarassed by the Cowboys isn't really anything new.

17. SoCalJoe

Conference Championship games today.

Jets at Colts; Can the J E T S pull the Colts into an ugly 17-14 game in which the opposing kicker misses chipshot fieldgoals (the last 2 victims missed a combined 4 fgs inside 40 yards) and Sanchez gets away with throwing it for 100 yards more than the rest of us? I think they can, but the Colts will win.

Vikings at Saints; The Vikings have been horrible on the road of late. Farve needs to keep feeding the ball to Adrian Peterson. If he tries to do too much (which happens with him) they'll lose. If he stays within himself they'll win and the nation will be Farverized for the next 2 weeks. However, I'm pulling for the guys in black and gold. Let's go Saints!!

18. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Saints to win it all.

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The Superbowl will be over by half-time.

The Saints, at home, required FIVE turnovers to take the Vikings to overtime and a chance to win the game (during which they also needed a bogus pass interference call).

The Colts pass rush with their front four is almost as good as the Vikings and Manning is not going to gift interceptions like Favre did. The Saints won't get more than two turnovers against the Colts and that won't nearly be enough. The Jets shut down the Colts top two receivers, so #3 and #4 had career games; i.e. doubling doesn't help.

The Vikings would have had a chance against the Colts, because of their good running game and the ability to put pressure on Manning without using Blitzes (and even then, even as a Viking fan, I'd have given the odds to the Colts). The Saints running game is not as good and they can't put pressure on the QB without blitzing.

I'm thinking something in the ballpark of 40-14.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, the playoff results were perfect for me before the first whistle of the first 6 hour game -- The Deadskins didn't qualify, so I WIN!

Usually the SuperBowl is a reason to get together, eat too much and drink too much and watch the commercials, but this season I really do kinda care who wins. New Orleans is the ancestral home -- I used to be related to about a quarter of the population -- and the Saints have an owner from San Antonio and a quarterback from Austin. I like the entire Manning family -- Archie may have been the best college QB in history -- but I remember too well several Mayflower moving vans sneaking out of Baltimore at 0400 one morning ever to root for the Indianapolis Kidnap Victims. Curse you Bob Irsay!

Just think, in 8 days time the game will have just ended, and we will be able to spend all summer hearing about where Bret Favre will play next season.

Go Aints!