Summer Transfer Window 2015

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoCottager, May 12, 2015.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What's the second step? Become our manager?

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

No, that would be a 1 step plan. While I'm sure he loves his kid, I doubt it's enough to take the paycut and massive step down in exposure.

Step 2 would be to sell or loan Lonergan & go from there.

3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham signs FB Luke Garbut from Everton on a season-long loan: http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/july/25/season-long-loan

Looks like a promising improvement for our back line. Would still like to see one or two more options back there, maybe some permanent ones too rather than a loan.

4. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Yeah Micah, Garbutt is a big time addition to our backline, a lot of folks talking about not adding enough to the defense, well here it is. Saw him a few times with Everton, great quality, will attack with pace and with something to prove to Martinez and potential suitors, I expect we will get the best out of this player while we can. I also like hes the first to mention promotion in his season goals, which I like. Makes me wonder if Kit is asking the rest of the team to downplay this so early on. But I think its important, especially for the Dembele's on the side, guys who want to play in the EPL should be talking about the possibility for us going back up.
    Great signing from my point of view.
    #Backwherewebelong

5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Winger Ryan Williams has moved permanently to Barnesly. He's one of those guys who's name I saw on the roster, but I'm not sure if I ever saw him play. I think he might have gotten on the field during the Magath era. If I had remembered he was on the roster I would have wondered why he was still there to begin with.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/july/26/ryan-williams

6. Andersons11

Andersons11 Member

I got a kick out of this, this is from Don in 2009. Do we really have trends going back this far? It would seem so.

I agree with most about our needs:

1. a new left back
    2. a new [or another] target man
    3. a young player to mould into Murphy's replacement -- I know one who plays for Borussia Moenchengladbach I'd like us to sign
    4. someone to play on the left of midfield who has a left foot
    5. stronger 2nd-level defenders than what we have now
    6. Eddie Johnson back from Cardiff

I suspect that 3/4 of the signings Roy makes will be people we've never heard of that we'll love before mid-September [i.e. Hangeland, Paintsil, Etuhu].

nevzter, AggieMatt, Dynamo and 3 others like this.
  7. Dynamo

Dynamo Member

nevzter likes this.
  8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

These days, Fulham find their CBs at the pub.

9. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

Need to find a different pub, the one they been going to hasn't had good results

10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I am not sure why everyone seems convinced Fulham should be looking at CB's more urgently than strikers unless they know Mitro is staying and playing. Even then if McCormack or Mitroglu go down Fulham will be in the weeds for goals unless Smith, Woodrow or Dembele show something as of yet to be seen on a consistent basis.

11. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Gayle is a definite upgrade over Woodrow, Dembele, and Taggart so I'm certainly not against this. With all the strikers Palace have now, it seems possible that we could work out a permanent transfer for him after the loan finishes. Especially if we go up this season.

AggieMatt likes this.
  12. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Because we scored more than 13 Championship sides last year while conceding less than only 1. We can't compete for the top half of the table if we allow the second highest number of goals... no matter who our strikers are.

13. astroevan

encorespanish likes this.
  14. BarryWhite

True but we've lost quite a few goals and assists with Hugo's departure. We've probably covered some of the assists with the midfield additions but I am doubtful on the goals until I see Mitroglu regularly suit up. If he doesn't we don't have the same number of goals in the team in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    AggieMatt likes this.
  15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Gayle is an astute signing & should cover for the loss of Hugo. Hugo scored 10 in 24 matches last year. In his last season in the Championship (12-13 for Peterborough), Gayle scored 13 in 29 matches as a 23 yr old. He's had 2 years experience in the Prem, so he should be even better in this run in the 2nd tier at 25. Anything that makes Matt Smith an option off the bench instead of a starter is a good move in my book.

I highly doubt Mitroglu plays for us this year. That may be a shame b/c it sounds like he looked good in his cameo v Palace. It probably just doesn't make sense financially. We loaned him out to get him off the books last year.

We've been rebuffed on Dunk a couple of times now. Brighton seem keen to keep him regardless & the reported numbers being thrown around sound like they're verging on the overpaying level. Transfermarkt had him at £1M last time I checked. Anything over £4M sounds like a reach. I wouldn't rate Dunk's & Brighton's defensive performance higher than what Burn did at Birmingham. We already have Burn, so I don't see the point in overpaying for Dunk. Further, while he got roasted a bit last year, Hutchinson was key in a stellar Motherwell defense prior to arriving at Fulham. Given a consistent partnership run, I really don't see why Burn & Hutch couldn't be effective for us. Especially with better support from midfield.

I'm of the belief that Bodurov was one of our bigger problems in the back 4. He doesn't appear to communicate with his partner & pretty much anyone played with him has looked bad.

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.
  16. BarryWhite

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/04/fulham-sign-mattila

Fulham Football Club is delighted to confirm the signing of Sakari Mattila from Aalesunds FK on a two-year deal, with a Club option for a further 12 months, for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old defensive midfielder began his career in his native Finland with HJK Helsinki, and made his professional debut with the club’s reserve side, Klubi 04. He soon progressed to the senior side and was given his first top flight run out in April 2008.

He was on the move soon after, though, as he made the switch to Serie A after agreeing a deal with Udinese. During his time in Italy, he went on loan to Ascoli, before taking in a similar spell at Swiss outfit AC Bellinzona, for whom he later signed permanently.

Mattila returned to Helsinki on loan in August 2012, before rejoining them on a permanent deal just under a year later. In November 2013, it was announced that he had agreed to sign for Norwegian side Aalesunds on a three-year deal, and he was soon appointed captain.

He made the first of his appearances for the Finnish national side in March 2014, having previously represented his country for a variety of age groups.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com after putting pen to paper, Mattila said: “Of course I’m very delighted and happy to officially be a member of FFC. From day one when I heard about the interest I was looking forward to this moment, and now that it’s official I’m really happy.

“I haven’t been training with the team yet but the facilities and the atmosphere that you have here in the Training Ground is very special.”

For the full interview with Sakari, tune in to #FFCRadio on fulhamfc.com on Saturday morning ahead of our season opener at Cardiff City.

17. ChicagoCottager

Beat me to it Barry! I think we can file this one in the "Out of left field" department.

Some highlights from his 2013 season:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    dcheather likes this.
  18. astroevan

Wow. They really stretched those highlights out. There's not much evidence in them that show what kind of defensive player he is. I guess we'll see where/if he fits in our line-up.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, he likes to hit the low corners on penalties, shoot from distance, and can hit a nice pass from time to time.

AggieMatt likes this.
  20. ChicagoCottager

Seems like a depth signing to me. By most reports O'Hara has played well in preseason and looks likely to start with LVC in the center of midfield.