Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Feb 13, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I guess it's never too early to start these threads?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... iguez.html?

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

You should rename this the We Need Strikers But Won't Buy Any thread. Not unless we lose some first.

Rodriguez (22) isn't a bad prospect with 26 goals in 73 matches this year and last in the Championship. However, since he's the first name to come out, I'd put the chances of Fulham signing him at 0%.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, are there any RELIABLE sources for transfer news, i.e., someone who gets it right more often than not? I realize there are broadsheets and tabloids and what not, but does anybody really know what's going on? Or are there just too many bases to cover?

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My take on transfer rumors...they usually don't happen for multiple reasons. 1. They can be complete BS. 2. Sometimes when someone is mentioned as available suddenly a bunch of other teams become interested. 3. Coming to agreement with the team and player is a challenge. For these reasons, it's difficult to gauge which paper is more reliable than another. There's just too many players, teams, and other tangibles in play to really understand what the heck is really going on behind the scene. Papers try to keep up out of interest to sell newspapers...they will try to be as accurate as possible, because nobody is going to read you if you're wrong all the time.

Your question has given me an idea though. We could use this thread to track the rumors...add each rumor to a post (where it accumulates line by line of rumors)

For instance:

Fulham want Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez, 22, who is expected to be sold in the summer...
    Andrew Johnson being pursued by Houston Dynamo?

Then move each rumor into a category such as confirmed, unconfirmed, etc.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jumpkutz, the short answer is "no." There is no reliable source.

What we have here is a classic case of "There's a young Championship striker who's doing well. Who needs a striker in the Prem? Okay, that's who we're linking him to. Now we can say 'he's been linked with' etc. etc." You must remember that the English press is under no pressure to tell the truth, and it takes some work to actually find out what's what.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

The Premier League needs its own Adam Schefter. The English press are notoriously bad at this stuff and it's frustrating because American sports writers know everything about every team. A player can have a hangnail and it will be reported by Buster Olney. That being said, we were linked to Pogrebnyak back in October so I guess rumors this early can happen.

7. jumpkutz

Sounds like there is an opportunity for real journalists in this field.

8. jumpkutz

Who linked him to us in October?

9. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

It was the Daily Mail.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

11. jumpkutz

Guardian says we're "keeping tabs" Hoffenheim's Ghanian defender Isaac Vorsah. Since they're usually one of the top sides in Africa, I assume he's pretty good.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love that we're looking at a guy named Norden Bombsight [check your WWII aviation history] and also Rakish Bingham. I like a man who can wear a bingham with a rakish air.

15. jumpkutz

LOL! NB sounds like a propaganda cartoon character! Rakish Bingham sounds like someone wearing an ascot, a smoking jacket and some comfy house slippers.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

17. Ghoul

Ghoul New Member

Wow, I'd hate to see Dembele go but he has shown flashes of brilliance that would make him a target for bigger clubs. And that would be a hefty veteran exodus, but I do like the idea of getting younger across the board.

18. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Call me naive, but I just don't see Dempsey leaving England. Fulham, maybe, but even then I get the feeling he'll wait it out until he hits 30. He seems to get the big fish/small pond nature of his situation.

I also don't see us jettisoning that many veteran players. Especially Murphy and Duff. They're a little too critical to what we do. AJ, Hughes, Davies and any others on the bench I'm omitting, I can see. Of the rumors I think Rodallega is interesting and Vorsah would be a very smart pick up. Can't say I'm familiar with the others aside from Jay Rodriguez.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Alright, you're naive. Happy? I can see a move to Italy or Spain. It would hurt to see him line-up for another English club.

I can see the need to get younger, and Fulham have taken steps in that direction already. But if we get rid of too many of the old guard, I think Fulham would struggle next season. Murph should be kept for at least another year. I can live with seeing AJ and Duff again next year, but not sure about the rest. Davies and Hughes have given Fulham some very good play over the years, but their playing time has been cut significantly this season and haven't shown a lot of reason for more time when they have played.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Depending on where Roma place this year, I could see it - Demps gets to play for a "big" club, get paid and he doesn't have to play against Fulham. Sad as I would be that he's gone, I'd be far more sad if he donned the Red at Anfield, etc.....

I could see any number of Spanish or German (even Dutch) clubs coming in for him that are already in the CL next year. His selling value will be at its peak this summer - for the good of the club (arguably), I think the board will seriously consider unloading a 29 yr old for maximum value. If Demps and Dembele both leave, I may rent my clothes, and perform a sacrificial ritual.