Summer 2008 Ins and Outs Part 2

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jmh, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

Umm, ok, since 'fog closed the last thread for no apparent reason even though there's a week and a half left in the window and probably one or more moves still to come...

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, and while we still don't have definitive word on who is still leaving and who is still arriving, perhaps we should continue on.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

no prob. If anything significant happens, I'll just tack this onto the locked one once window closes.
    I'm betting there's nada to add.

4. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Here's an Out (per the offal):
    Eddie Johnson to Cardiff City on loan. 8)

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Summer 2008 Ins and Outs Part 2

Oh great. Now we're down to 3 strikers? I've said this before, and I'll say it again: SEOL AND GERA ARENT STRIKERS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WOY???

Here's hoping CJ comes back from the mia list...

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

7. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Although EJ wouldn't have done Fulham any good if he hadn't been loaned, his departure (combined with the sale of Healy) does highlight the lack of strike options left in the squad.
    Either Roy's going to use the Healy and Davis money to buy another striker or he's going to use Dempsey as a utility striker, should an injury occur. I'd think that Roy would rather use the Healy/Davis money to buy a more dependable CB or LB and take his chances up top, but who knows ...
    Here's to hoping that AJ stays healthy once he's introduced into the starting XI.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

It's looking like he's going to go with both Seol and Dempsey in that 2nd striker/attacking mid role. If I'm not mistaken, that's where he had them in the reserve friendlies and again this past Sat. Looking at it that way, that gives you 8 striker/attacking mid options once Kamara and CJ return from injury.

Now how much value you put in Gera, Demps and Seol in that role is certainly open to debate, but from a numbers perspective, the most recent moves make sense.

I think EJ has nothing to lose with this move. He needs to toughen up to play at this level and on-field experience in the CCC (which is still better than MLS) should only help him adjust to the Prem down the road.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

In a sense we have 3 strikers, I guess, but not really. On top of AJ and Zamora and Nevland, you've got CJ closer to returning (I thought I heard, anyway) than Kamara, Seol who Roy clearly believes can play there (and he did score a goal in his first game playing striker for us), and Dempsey (our leading scorer last season let's not forget).

Or maybe we're signing Robinho and not Chelsea, who knows?

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If that's our only choice, Josh, I'd say let's go for Robinho. Who wants to sign Chelsea? 8)

11. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

QPR would probably put in a bid for the scum. :lol:

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Letting Andreasen go would be a mistake. He was a solid player while on the pitch for us last season. He may not get you loads of goals, but he is a strong box-to-box midfielder. I like him and I think he would be missed if he left.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think highly of him too and wish Fulham could keep him. But I understand his feelings of wanting to play in a starting role.

15. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

He showed real signs of quality last season, but our midfield is pretty crowded as is. That's what happens when you basically bring in 20+ players in to the club over the past two years and two different managers. There is going to be some collateral damage along the way. But with Bullard and Murphy playing well together, Andreason just does not fit in to the equation.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

I can see why Andreasen would want out, and if the number quoted is accurate then we'd be making 1.4 million on him, but it still seems strange. You've got a guy who's got experience in the EPL and the Bundesliga, or you've got a guy who's never played outside South Africa's domestic league. I mean, it's possible that this Dikgacoi guy is really good, but Andreasen's pretty good too.

Not sure why Hamburg would view Andreasen as a replacement for van der Vaart either; they don't really seem the same type of player to me.

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The papers are reporting that Fulham are ready to make a sizeable bid for Valencias Zigic. Source = Daily Mail

"Fulham are the latest club to show interest in Valencia's 6ft 8in striker Nikola Zigic."

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

6 foot 8????? Cool! Someone to call Hangeland "shorty."

19. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Zigic has been a consistent scorer wherever he has played, but I highly doubt that Fulham will be able to land him. Villa, Sunderland and Everton have been showing interest in him for quite some time. Villa and Everton can offer him the possibility of playing in the UEFA Cup as well. Hopefully London would be extra incentive enough to join Fulham.

Here's to hoping though... Would be an interesting partnership with AJ.

20. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member