Summer '08: Ins and Outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamlocal, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreekFootballer

GreekFootballer New Member

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Fulham's midfield seems to have plenty of talent available at this time. Unless Roy believes that Etuhu would supplant one of his starting XI I would say he should hold on to Healy.

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

screw Ethuhu. Appiah is extremely unhappy at Fenerbache. Lets get another Ghanaian!

4. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

He's not really a defensive player though, is he? I don't know much about Ethuhu to be honest, lots of people on TIFF (who I suspect haven't seen as much of him as they say) say he's terrible. Roy probably knows what he's doing though, if his previous lower-profile signings are any indication.

I still think Andreasen is a fine player, and would like to see him get another look first. Johnny Paintsil could probably do a good job in that role too.

5. psand22

psand22 Member

Well, the Daily Mail is reporting that the Healy - Etuhu deal is going thru...

Sunderland boss Roy Keane will end his search for more firepower by signing Fulham's Northern Ireland marksman David Healy. The 29-year old is heading to the Stadium of Light in a swap - valued at £2m - for midfielder Dickson Etuhu

6. jmh

jmh New Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

cheer up; maybe Roy K will ask him to take a penalty against us.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I take it this means we have £5m to spend on a CB now. Man City are buying Vincent Kompany (no idea where the money is coming from), so that makes one of Dunne or Onuoha expendable, I would think.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I'll opt for Dunne in that case, but odds are Roy already has somebody already in mind.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I always liked Dunne. I thought he did a marvelous job shepherding young Richards as he learned the CB role. I think he'd be a good partner for the HangMan.

I think it's a mistake to send EJ to Cardiff. With Healy gone and CJ most likely gone, we need depth at striker. Nevland is a 3 inning guy. EJ can back up both Z-bird and AJ.

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Why is Nevland a 3 inning guy? Not questioning it, it just seems the consensus from many on the board that his is. I know Roy has played him that way and I can't remember if he even got a start last year, maybe one but what is it about that says he can't be a starter? Fitness? Inquirying minds want to know. :)

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just my opinion, RR, but I thought Nevland was least effective for us last season in those matches he started. You want a 60th minute sub striker to be either quick, pacy, and aggressive [like Nevland was last season, and like AJ was a good bit of last season also for Everton], or big, burly, tough, and aggressive [this was the role Helguson and CJ played for us a lot, and Z-Bird played very well for West Ham a few years back when Pardew was coaching them].

The former stretches a tired defense and creates/exploits holes with his speed and quickness. The latter batters and overpowers a tired defense and beats them to balls they'd win in the first 30 minutes of a match. Each of these methods works best, by the way, when you've spent the first 60 minutes attacking. If we're playing cautiously or negatively, then no substitute really helps.

------------------

Oh, and Healy is definitely gone:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... parts.aspx

14. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Makes sense Hatter, thanks again. Nevland is not a big guy and I don't know how physical he is around the goal. He doesn't look all physical of a guy but has some speed. I just haven't really watched him around the box, while not on the ball.

15. Bradical

Bradical Member

Au revoir Healy... He'd better not start scoring at his International clip with Sunderland...

Keep EJ by all means - we will need him.

What is going on with (Vodka) Collins John? Is he on the practice squad? Talk of him being loaned out -- but it seems like Roy is too disgusted to deal with him.

16. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I'm not sad to see Healy go, but not sure if I'm thrilled that he's going to another Prem. club.
    There's also talk of EJ being loaned out to Cardiff City ...
    If EJ were loaned out, with Healy gone will Roy move for another striker?

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Why would both EJ and/or John go? That would peg us down to what...3-4 strikers? Kamz won't be healthy until at least Xmas.

Keep 'em both. We need the cover.

and no, gera and seoul aren't strikers. if woy continues thinking they are I'm going to get angry...

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Didn't Citeh just sign Dunne to a new contract this summer?

19. sublicon

sublicon New Member

He did. We're not getting Dunne unless ManCity find themselves REALLY strapped for cash, haha. No chance. 'Eys Citeh frough and frough.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Which doesn't mean Roy doesn't have his eye on another center back, of course. (I hope.)