Summer '08: Ins and Outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamlocal, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If we're in Europe, we should be attracting bigger names. I can understand if UEFA doesn't give us that European spot that names will not want to come here, but if we do get that spot then I see no reason why the likes of Saha and Odonkor would not want to play for us. If we get that spot and fill our squad with Andreasens and Nevland we would've wasted the best opportunity we have ever had in getting bigger names. I've heard of all 3 of the players Roy brought in. I think he can do well in the market, but he needs to bring in a bit higher quality to the club. We have been stuck in shit since we've been up. Where is the ambition? The board needs to look long and hard at what they're going to do this summer. If they bring in the players of decent quality, but players who will just keep us up or maybe sneak into the top 12, then they're obviously quite happy with where we've been. If they decide to spend like crazy, then I think that we have a chance to break into the top 8 and stay there because of our brilliant manager.

About the wage thing, we need to improve here. We really need to start thinking of giving players what they want(as long as it's reasonable). It's time to stop paying the minimum for the players and time to start paying what the likes of Everton and Tottenham pay. I don't think it's gonna hurt to give somebody 50K a week. It's not like we're paying all 35+ players this amount. Time to solve this.

Also totally agree on London. Not only London, but our Cottage and our damn location. If a player saw this and went to Newcastle because they were interested, then there is no reason why he shouldn't want to come here. Honestly, the likes of Newcastle and Tottenham are old news and we should really beat that in the head of players that we're interested in.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Gudjohnsen would be a welcome addition. He can definitely score goals and provide a target man, a la, Brian McBride up front.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Here's another few players that we should be interested in. Maybe these lot would be more realistic.

Kevin Doyle

James Harper

Steve Cherundolo

Phillpe Senderos

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought Senderos was off to Italy?!?!?

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Not that I know of. Flamini is off to Milan, but that's it. Appearently Senderos will still be a Gunner next season, but I highly doubt this. He has underperformed and he's out of favor.

Gudjohnson would be a damn good signing. I could see him and Kamara playing quite well. Lots of goals, provided they play to their capabilities.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Anyone hear anything about whether we might be interested in and/or able to sign Stalteri permanently? He's played a significant role down the stretch and I can't imagine he'd be in line for much playing time at Spurs after they paid a big pile of money for Alan Hutton in January. He's not getting any younger, but he might be a good option for a couple of years, since Roy doesn't seem to think Omozusi is ready to be a starter quite yet.

8. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'd still like Ljuboja. I think Baird and Boca are worth keeping for depth. One of Smertin or Elliot will be gone, but it might be good to keep one for cover and maybe as a player-coach, kind of like Billy McKinlay a couple years ago.

9. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Fulham has signed GK David Stockdale from Darlington

I wouldn't freak out about the overweight thing, I think he has been good for Darlington this year, and will make a good backup behind Keller (if he stays, I hope he does).

Niemi...SOLD! (not yet) Batista...SOLD! (not yet) I think we should keep Tony as our 2nd/3rd choice.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

C'mon, Christian. We're never going to sign Eto'o. He makes more in wages than any 4 guys who turned out at Pompey.

Sublicon, thanks for reminding me about the Darlington keeper. I've heard nothing but good things about his form and maturity this season. He could be the young guy that can break through this season. SOMEBODY needs to stake a claim to the #1 shirt by January -- either Batista or Stockdale would work for me.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I know that, Don. Just my way of highlighting the folly of the rumour mill this early in the transfer timeline.

You caught me.

13. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm really excited about Stockdale. 22 clean sheets now, and his career path is looking frighteningly similar to Joe Hart's. Even their transfer fees are the same! I'm still hopeful for Batista, but I have a feeling Admiral Stockdale could be better.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

WHO AM I? WHY AM I HERE?

I feel dirty for making fun of a decorated war hero, but SNL's spoof of him was really funny.

Regarding Ljuboja... I dunno. I was intrigued by the possibility the last couple of times it was mentioned, but I thought the development of great chemistry and an us-against-the world team mentality was crucial to the Great Escape, and while I obviously don't expect the team to stand pat, I'm concerned about the prospect of adding a guy who's known as a headache to what seems to be a good mixture.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Admiral Stockdale? Man, you guys are older than I thought you were!

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I was reading an article yesterday (Times, perhaps) and Roy said he felt 30 was too large a side. Article implied he'd be shrinking the roster. How many players does a non big 4 typically carry? I think I recall hearing Villa had the smallest side this year.

I'd like to see a striker added above all else. McBride's getting older and may not be back and the rest of our forwards don't excite me. And since I'm playing 20 questions (sorry, still new to eng football), isn't the #9 reserved for your big gun scorer? Why is Healy wearing it?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ag, the only "Magic" number per se is "10." Pele wore it and, in this hemisphere at least, it's reserved for your most creative player. In the USMNT, Tab Ramos was considered the NATURAL #10. Donovan usually wears it.

11 and 7 are usually reserved for wingers and 3 and 2 for fullbacks, but everything else is up for grabs. #9 is usually reserved for a striker. The "traditional" #9 would have been a Brian McBride or Peter Crouch type, although Bobby Charlton wore it as an attacking midfielder.

Oh, and don't forget that Sanchez had counted on a Healy/McBride partnership at the top all season. It was working well until Brian went down against 'boro in the 3rd match.

18. sublicon

sublicon New Member

I'm sorry but Keller still has a lot left in the tank. Sunderland performance aside, he's been stellar . . head and shoulders above Niemi. I think he should maintain his spot.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Going by what's on clubs' Wikipedia pages, including players in on loan and excluding players out on loan:

Man United 27
    Chelsea 26
    Arsenal 37
    Liverpool 35
    Everton 31
    Villa 22
    Blackburn 31
    Portsmouth 26
    Man City 27
    West Ham 31
    Spurs 31
    Newcastle 26
    Middlesbrough 26
    Wigan 27
    Sunderland 35
    Bolton 35
    Fulham 33
    Reading 41
    Birmingham 23
    Derby 29

Average: 29.95. I think this is skewed by the listings for Arsenal and Liverpool both including a lot of youth players.

So you can get relegated with a small squad or win the title. You can get relegated with a huge squad or make the Champions League. The key isn't the number of players, it's the quality. Villa obviously treads a fine line with their squad size; a few injuries and they'd be in lots of trouble, but a fixed salary pool pays for better players if it pays for fewer of them, and Villa have capitalized on that. I think Roy is also recognizing that fact. Cut loose (for example) Christanval and Baird and that money goes to pay one player who's better than either. Clearly there's some dead weight that can be cut loose.

20. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Josh, Ian Pearce is furious right now that you didn't mention him :lol: