Strange days

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Dec 15, 2011.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Mr. Fog, that video and song...all of these years I didn't realize how secretly dirty those lyrics were, or maybe it's my interpretation. Anyhow, that was some good stuff and I enjoyed it.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's for a number of reasons. Back then, you didnt "let it all hang out."* to prove how grown up you were. *A common street term, btw. Everything there is today.. yeah, we're even talking cougar/milfs, {2nd hand knowledge to me} there was even in the early sixties. But stand up routines weren't done on them.**

heh.. 'Good Stuff'. That's how we described it back then, too.
    You didn't turn up your radio at a family reunion when 'Why dont we do it in the road?' came on.
    And my parents had their own little word game songs in the thirties.
    Chorus of bar and cover bands ... Just see J Geils!!!
    It was {still is} a generational thing, all the adults wanted was plausible deniability. It's just like the gay issue...
    "Dont put it in our faces!!!",
    PS: OTOH, no one has ever proved 'Louie- Louie' was dirty. Pretty much an urban legend for over 50 years.

**Go figger... wife scans through channels and tosh.0 is doing his thing. Immature little potty mouth shit, that he is. His parents must be so proud.

3. pettyfog

Back to Weird Stories and Strange Days. That would be now...
    Associated Press actually does some journalism {even if the motivation is: 'Look! Over there.. squirrel!!!'} And discovers that putting food in gas tanks isnt really 'green' and even - gasp- MIGHT be political - corporate cronyism!!!!
    AP Investigation: Obama's green energy drive comes with an unadvertised environmental cost
    Obama's my ass! Ethanol fraud started back when Barack was still trying to fight the Chicago machine from the South Side. You wanna know who I despise on it? Tom Harkin, that's who. Got nothing to do with 'party' except whoever votes FOR that shit doesnt like the Tea Party.

Anyone wanna guess when yours-truly started harping on that? BEFORE I started pointing out the Global Warming fraud

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog -- I would not disagree with you about the 70+ ers. When I was a young lad, I tarried with more than one or two "older women." Since I'm 67 on Saturday, it's safe to say that several of them are now over 70. I won't say they were hot, but one or two could defrost your refrigerator from the house next door.

But I digress.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

6. pettyfog

Hey... it's in the Grauniad..MUST be germane and to the point!

Lol... remember.. I'm the guy who says everything's connected, and for Journo 'integrity and POV' this adds a straw to the man {or camel's back}

Reading the Guardizan on Football must be sorta like following NFL in the NYTimes.
    Ah, Don... how cool to be playing in bands in the days of yore. And I just went to the cover band clubs.

Coming back from Navy to the farm to find a housing development across the road confirmed all my suspicions about the 'Cougar' (Ms Robinson/Stiffler's Mom.) Sadly {Not really} for me, at 24 yo, I still looked 17... but that had other advantages. My {future} MiL gave my then GF a big lecture on 'robbing the Cradle'. ANd her dad didn't worry about some skinny glasses wearing bookworm type.
    If they only knew! Lol!!!

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

He he, I think the "years" he spent trying to please everyone must have been the first six years of his life. It will be interesting to see the Martin ONeill/Roy Keane partnership. Is this as weird as the MJ/RM partnership, btw? What is going on the world of football

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Back to amusing oddities in life:
    (link has video)
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23985 ... z2kpWPZTKU

10. pettyfog

Heather: On the flu pandemic last year... last year, just this week, it was obvious to anyone with experience that it wasnt a bad cold or regular flu-like symptoms. Went from vague not - right feeling to cant and dont want to move in under 12 hours.
    What bothered me was I kept looking for references to the odd occurrences when one person after another complained of the same it wasn't commented on anywhere in the news until well into December, as I recall. Yet half the people at wife's work were out because of it before the end of November.

As to the finger totem...it's fun to think about.. but a pox on both their houses, but mainly guy who would live right next to the EX AND do that.
    Comes under "Shit Happens, Deal with it. Especially if your coin comes from the sex industry."

Quit highlighting childish and immature and it MIGHT, sorta go away, kind of...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Donovan McNabb: NASCAR drivers aren't athletes
    Lol.. here we go again. Happens every few years.. Funny thing is it's coming from a QB, not WR or Safety*. And a freakin' MetroSexual at that.

A couple years ago Mark Martin would be challenging him to 10 consecutive Forties.

Hey DM... since no one in their right mind is gonna let you in a car at Darlington... find an ice road somewhere and drive 65 for 4 hours then tell us. I once drove I 75 in a freezing rain from Lansing MI to Lima OH. GuaranDAMN tee ya, it takes stamina.
    Yes, I went right to bed then took the next day off.

* I love this stuff.. like footy fans saying pigskin players couldn't cut it on the pitch and I say .. wrong, esp WR and Safeties. Then Running backs dispute on soccer athleticism..

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nope, it's not going away...at least not until humans are extinct. I find the humor in lengths he went to put up a middle finger statue. I mean really? You buy a what looks like a fairly expensive house just to put up that statue...really?

12. pettyfog

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

14. pettyfog

The "I'm a geezer and remember when... book club!"
    Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy
    looks like a winner in the nature of 'Catch 22'. and 'Dr Strangelove'
    - except the guy wrote it in 1st person - Present narrative. Sort of annoying but he's good enough a writer it doesn't bother too much.

Breaking: Reporter does job. Reports the facts!
    So,yesterday, I stumble across this headline "Dreamlifter taking off from tiny airport"... that was news to me so I followed bunch of links.

What happened was a freight 747 modified to carry really large stuff landed prematurely on its approach to McConnell AFB in Wichita. Wow... how will they fix that?!!!
    Well, not such a big deal after all except for the mistaken landing.

The airport was hardly 'tiny'. Runway length 6100 feet. Typical General Aviation length.
    Wind speed luckily about 25 mph which greatly reduces TO speed {by 25 mph} thus required length.
    - specs for full loaded Dreamlifter about 9200 feet
    Flight time from TO to landing about 15 minutes max.. meaning very light fuel load.
    Cargo is a 787 fuselage, meaning mostly air. Nowhere close to max load weight.
    - Plane could have gotten off in 6000 feet with no wind.

Now this may be the grumblings of a geezer but back when we didnt have the net to find out 'What where when why how', the print/broadcast news did their job and found out for us. The first thing to go back in the day was 'how' but recently why is 'optional'.
    And I had to click on 4 links from google search to find this reasonable article. That's knowing what to look for.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/travel/kansas-cargo-plane-wrong-airport/
    So hats is off to CNN's Tom Watkins and Ed Payne for doing their old school job, sorta.

15. pettyfog

On with serial replies cuz' I think it's really neat..

The Star Trek Replicator is halfway there...
    GE Turns to 3D Printers for Plane Parts

Next Up, the Tricorder!
    XPRIZE Unveils Medical Tricorder Teams
    Prediction.. The basic tool remains looking like the iPhone/iPad template. Up to and including the time when it projects holographic images. The ultimate elegance.
    ___________________________________________________-
    Related:
    NASA Rejection Letter

___________________________________________________-

[​IMG]

- XKCD

16. pettyfog

This is only political if you make it so. What it really is pointing out that old saying 'Cut off your nose to spite your face'.

We must double fast food wages!

I don't know how it is where you live but in my area 'Fast Food' is getting slower and more problems ensuing with orders because of staffing cutbacks.

Of course, fast food jobs were never intended as careers in themselves.

And of course if you want to lose jobs to robots, you couldn't do better than to make entry level labor too expensive. The 360 per hour full build burger robot

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This thread should stay more for its intended purpose, to entertain, or draw attention to humorous, lighthearted events in life. If you're intention is have everyone join in a quick laugh that is most likely not be contentious, then post it here. If you're looking for a more serious debate in something you find humorous or strange, then it probably belongs the strange days political gripe thread, or perhaps a new thread?

18. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hopefully this is just in the strange and somewhat amusing category. She is claiming she cant be sued because the targets are white men.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101243971

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No, her lawyers are countering the argument of the plaintiffs that the law they're citing identifies them as a "special class" by pointing out , rightly, that white men are not routinely discriminated against. I also can't remember anyone who was fired for being white, although I know plenty of white men who think they didn't get a promotion because they weren't black, or hispanic, or a woman.

Yeah, right.

20. pettyfog

A little Lol.. who doesn't like the cute-kittie vids! And yet here's the opposite argument:
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7znI_Kpzbs[/youtube]

Favorite poster-name from that collection: 'CatsareAholes'

Thing I like best about {adult} cats: They fit nicely over the instep of a pendulum-swung foot.
    heh...