Star Wars from Thread for Rants

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 14, 2015.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oh, and anuvver f'ing... that annoys me and no one else gives a crap what I think..

Passages!​

I find it a little disturbing that I simply can't bring myself to give a crap about the new Star Wars.
    I'll probably be interested in watching it, eventually.
    I think.
    Maybe.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

See! Yet another example of why we really agree more often than we disagree. I am a fail-safe go-to person NOT to be the spoiler on the Star Wars flick. I don't think I'd watch it without a gun to my head.
    So, right on, bro.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I got 20 dollars that Luke is on the dark side now.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Joe, I think Star Wars is a generational thing. Those that grew up with it at a young age are more likely to be anticipating the premier with giddy dorkiness, especially if they have young kids now and want to share that excitement with them. Not that I am talking from personal experience or anything. :rolleyes:

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No... it's not exactly generational. I saw 'Empire Strikes Back' in Leicester Square London on about the third day of release. Stood in line, of course. Later that day, unknown to me, the wife took the kids to see it at the Drive In. By the way that was my first experience with Stadium Style Cinema seating.
    I didnt like it, all that much, and that prevails to this day.. have no love for super size TV's

We had a lot of fun over that. My kids loved the figures, they had about everything between them and I didnt mind giving them at all.
    I was a Star Wars geek but recognized it for what it was. Brilliant adventurism and I never once considered it a 'Morality Tale' as some try to make it.
    I guess that's why I'm annoyed. Not that I dont like it... that I'm barely interested.
    Because AGE
    More involved with Downton Abbey.. enough so that I consider 'Monarch of the Glen' to be derivative crap. Which I wasted many hours watching on Amazon Stream. Only to find I had to BUY the final season. Which was just more of the same shallow stereotypical Schlock. By the final episode I was hoping they would all be caught in the house and perish in a dead of night fire!

Come to think of it.. that's my biggest rant. Getting caught up in something that turns out a waste of time. Sort of like Episodes 1, 2, 3 (4th, 5th, 6th releases)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The original trilogy was fun because they were basically episodes in a Cowboy Serial we used to watch in theaters when I was a little boy. Silly, fun stuff.

The first episode of the new trilogy -- which HatterMom and I were looking forward to -- had so many irritating moments in it, that we didn't bother with the other two.

I'll watch the original trilogy several more times before I take the big dirt nap, but not the new 35 films that JJ Abrams will foist upon us over the next 20 years or so.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Saw the first trilogy in the theater as a kid when they came out and LOVED them. I saw the first installment of the second trilogy at the theater and hated it. I've seen parts of the 2nd one but still haven't finished it or watched the third.

I have a 9 year old nephew who was introduced to the original trilogy at an early age and is a huge fan. Ironically, he's not big on the 2nd trilogy either. But he loves the rest of it, from Lego Star Wars, to the cartoon series to every manner of toy you can imagine. As a result, I'm excited for the new trilogy. Unless I go with him and his Mom, I'll probably wait to stream it at home, but that's more of a reflection of my feelings on crowded theaters.

Hopefully Abrams doesn't screw it up.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Star Wars update, I have a feeling they're going to get their money back. I was going to buy tickets for Lucas and myself online yesterday for the 10am Imax3D showing on Saturday, saw the tickets were still available and thought I needn't worry about about buying them online and could probably buy in person. Wrong. Checked again this morning and they were no longer available. Purchased tickets to the 9am Real3D showing, oh well. Here's hoping Lucas is okay waking up a little early on a non-school day.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

your son is named Lucas? You ARE a Star Wars fan!!!!!

dcheather likes this.
  10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

You have noticed my Facebook avatar right? Also, Lucas and Rachel dressed up as Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia last year for Halloween...so, um, yeah you could say I am a fan. :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    HatterDon and nevzter like this.
  11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Opened a new thread because I can't say a Star Wars discussion belongs under the original thread title.

12. AggieMatt

Agreed. Besides, you run this joint, you can do whatever you want.:)

HatterDon likes this.
  13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/star-wars-force-awakens-tickets-fandango-1201664109/

Yeah, I have to say I was a little surprised and not surprised that a showing was sold out at my local movie theater 3 days in advance (my hometown isn't exactly a bustling metropolis).

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

My little guy and gal were gutted when they found out last week we wouldn't be attending on opening night. I was probably too young to have watched the original when I did (sweet uncle took me during one of its second runs after it'd been released a year or two earlier), but I've been hooked ever since. And my kids have followed suit. The trench run in the original Death Star battle was my cinematic heroin for years ("you're all clear, kid!"). I know, nerd...

And my little guy was Anakin this past Halloween. In retrospect, shouldn't give 6 year old boys lightsabers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Loved the original, then became more and more indifferent with each subsequent sequel/prequel. But I've seen them all. Will probably see this one after the opening weekend crowds lighten.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Brief Rating in order not to give anything away: Enjoyed the movie, and would recommend going, just don't go in with inflated expectations. Solid addition, but would rank it around 3rd or 4th in the series with Return of the Jedi. I'll just say it's a Far Far Galaxy away from the OG and my personal favorite The Empire Strikes Back.

dcheather likes this.
  17. AggieMatt

My best friend's (of 36 yrs) birthday is today, on what is probably the most hyped Star Wars premiere date ever & my sister's birthday is May the 4th. Maybe the universe...er, galaxy...is trying to tell me I need to make seeing this flick a higher priority.

Or maybe I'm just looking for excuses for not doing yard work today.

HatterDon likes this.