Squad Analysis

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Han-Solo, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

I don't t know if you agree that the problems to solve with major urgency in the last attempt to avoid relegation are three (apart from the problems that can't be solved, like the lack of commitment of many players, whose the major part signed by Sanchez):
    1 - Johnson isn't good and/or mature enough to play upfront in the starting XI (even the average Healy is better than him);
    2 - Murphy is an anonymous crap and should be let to warm the bench;
    3 - Dempsey gave a massive contribute to make the few points that we have made and he should find a place in the squad either on the left wing or behind the forward(s).

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Healy isn't better than EJ. He's slow, out of shape, and horrible in the air. EJ is at least physically ready for the EPL and is doing what they tell him to do, i.e., collect the ball, hold it up, and distribute. Healy should never ever start again... no matter how not good EJ or Kamara are.

Roy has already said he wishes he didn't have to play EJ, but that he has no other option. He has also said that EJ isn't ready. So Roy and the coaching staff aren't ignorant of what's what.

Murphy, despite everybody's cries for change, has yet to be not played. That's because along with Jimmy Bullard he's the only other true central midfielder on the team (something is wrong with Smertin apparently). I think Andreasen could manage quite well, but I'm pretty sure he didn't ever play a CM role in a 4-4-2 system in Germany. Roy must think he can't either play that role or is just not experienced enough to outplay Murphy from a CM spot just yet. Also he might not play well with Bullard in training.

Dempsey can't play any role in a 4-4-2 at the EPL level. He can play his AMC role in Roy's 4-5-1, but then that's too defensive for everybody's liking in a relegation battle (not that there is much more offense in a 4-4-2 when run by Fulham players). He's inadequate in either of the outside-mid roles because he can't cross and because he isn't particularly fast. He's decent of course and probably a better bet than Andreasen out there, but EPL coaches seem to think he's inadequate.

3. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

JOHNSON - At least, Healy has made some goals, Johnson hasn't still proved to be capable of score. He never shoots to the goal, he can't be played as a striker, in Italy he wouldn'te be in the starting XI in my local team that plays in third division.
    Having a certain pace, maybe Roy could try to play him as a winger.

MURPHY - Absolutely unwatchable. Andreasen can play by the defenders.

DEMPSEY - He's one of our best players, so he must play, simple as that. It's true that 4-4-2 is not his cup of tea, but we can't renounce to one of our few players that (as we say in Italy) "sees" the goal. He could play behind the strikers.

This would be mine (4-3-1-2)

--------------------------------------Keller
    Stalteri------------------Hughes-----------------Hangeland----------------PK
    Davies (Johnson)-------------------Andreasen-----------------Bullard
    --------------------------------------------------------------Dempsey
    --------------------------------Healy----------Mc Bride

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

They won't ever play that way because Jimmy Bullard, like Dempsey, is also an attacking midfielder. Jimmy Bullard also isn't left-footed. Did you see him yell at Andreasen for passing to his left foot instead of his right foot? Jimmy Bullard is also too slow to play anywhere but the central midfield. So if Bullard plays, he will play the roving attacking midfielder role, be it 4-5-1 or 4-4-2.

Johnson has never played as a winger, except when put there by Hodgson. He looked lost and got out skilled a lot. So he either plays as a striker or he won't play.

The only way Dempsey plays behind the striker is in a 4-5-1. In a 4-4-2 he either doesn't play or he plays RM or ST (maybe LM). I don't think it is such a bad idea to play him as a RM in 4-4-2 because at least he's out there... but it isn't the best place for him or Fulham.

David Healy just isn't good. He actually hasn't scored a lot for Fulham because he isn't good enough to compete in the EPL. He's smart and instinctive, but he's slow, small, and not very athletic. EPL defenders can handle him with ease. EJ can out run a lot of defenders and can out jump a lot of defenders at least. He has put in a couple of decent shots that were near misses. He forced Blackburn to play deeper inside their half. Newcastle sat back as well probably in part to EJ.

EJ might not be ready, but David Healy isn't the solution.

5. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

Eh, eh, I was right at least for two points on three.
    Dempsey in the starting XI instead of the useless Andreasen, and Healy or Nedved as a second striker.
    Finally Roy has found out the correct asset.
    Now we can dream.....

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Dempsey proved today that he can play as a Midfielder in a 4-4-2...

7. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

Absolutely.
    But he can also play behind the strikers, imo. The most important thing is that Roy makes him play in the starting XI.....
    This team, with these players, this confidence and this committment would have easily beaten Sunderland and Derby.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Andreasen is useless? Say what?

9. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

He is useless ih he's played as a right winger, as he has been in the last games, because he hasn't the skill nor the pace for that role (Dempsey is by far better than him).
    I see Andreasen as a defensive central midfielder, just behind the other three midfielders.