Spain Vs. France [R]

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by americanmike, Jun 27, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Next up, we have Spain vs. France. France has slowly been playing better through out the tournament and Henry has found his touch. I think they are going to give Spain some real problems. Although their defense has had some nightmares.

Spain has the talent, their is no doubting that and much of their matches have been played at a fast pace. In this heat, that could be Bad News Bears for them.

I see France winning 2-1.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with the lawn gilander. Spain always underachieves at the WC, and I think that Tony Parker's best bud M. Henry is ready to do the doo today.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Laissez les bon buts rouler!!

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am taking Spain 2-0 today in what I think will be a lopsided match in favor of the Spanish. France has not impressed me at all. The lone win was over lowly Togo.

I would like to see France win, I just can't see it happening today.

C'mon Les Bleus!

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

France, 3-1. Did France finally show-up, or did Spain collapse?

6. americanmike

Re: RE: Spain Vs. France [R]

I'm still asking myself that question, although I am leaning, reluctantly, to saying that France stepped it up, albeit, with a little luck. Viera's header wouldn't of scored if it hadn't hit that defender.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Good call Mike! As usual, my prediction was way wrong.

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

RE: Re: Spain Vs. France [R]

What an ending for France. They didn't look like scoring for a long stretch of the match, then the next thing you know, they managed to put two in the net in the last ten minutes. As for Spain, it's yet another disappointment. "Heartbreak" and even "choke" could be substituted for that last word, too...

With that result, France set themselves up for a rematch of the '98 Final with Brazil.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: Spain Vs. France [R]

I missed almost all the match, but saw the last two goals. The third was so clinical. Nice to see a man who knows what he's doing on the pitch. Think we could pry ZZ away from Real Madrid?

I know; he's too old. :lol:

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: Spain Vs. France [R]

I know you are kidding, but he is retiring. Today could have been his last match. Whenever France loses or wins it all at this very World Cup, he is done for both club and country.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: Re: Spain Vs. France [R]

And I was kidding. Actually, goal aside, I think it's about time that he call it quits. His timing is a little off in his upfield passes and he looks a little tentative at times. It reminds me [old fart reference here] of Willie Mays after he'd been traded to the Mets. He was a pretty solid player, as long as you didn't remember who he used to be.

If ZZ does hang it up after the cup, that goal today will be the perfect frosting.

12. americanmike

Thierry = CHEAT

Who saw this diver go down like a sack of potatoes today??!!

I never thought he could stoop so low, even my father was suprised he too the dive. A player who I held in such high regard has stooped so low. He should of been sent off with such a display...why do all of these top players continue to make themselves look life fools.

Henry should be ashamed.

13. BoasBoy

BoasBoy New Member

Re: Thierry = CHEAT

I haven't seen it yet but was it that bad? I mean, Henry isn't one to go taking dives like that although after seeing 18 cards in one match I guess anything is possible.

There are so many to blame, the refs with all of these cards which in the end is the responsibility of Blatter and then the players for taking all of these dives! Something must be done.

14. krhimself

krhimself New Member

RE: Re: Thierry = CHEAT

Henry's dive against Spain sorta reminded me of the infamous Rivaldo dive against Turkey in 2002. Like Rivaldo, Titi went down clutching his face; the only differences were that he was elbowed in the chest, and also the player he was trying to send off (Puyol) only got a yellow card.

Really, you have to wonder exactly when he found the time in his busy schedule to take a flight over to New York and watch a show or two on Broadway.

15. martin

martin New Member

It was pathetic. Henry took a little nudge to the chest and goes down clutching his face like he was just hit with a lead pipe. The defender's arm got nowhere near Henry's face. What a tool.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It was.. it was.. hey, I know.. it was like the Cubbies and Reds, each on a streak, playing each other!

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Henry's dive was brutal. He was hardly nudged by Puyol in the chest and went down holding his face. It is sad that something like this happens in a match of this magnitude.

With FIFA deciding that this World Cup was going to be one for numerous yellow and red cards, it seems to be backfiring a bit on then. With players knowing that opponents will be carded for almost anything, more players are taking advantage of this by diving and acting with almost every single foul. FIFA needs to do something about the diving as it is just getting out of control.

I have talked a few different non-soccer fans who have watched the World Cup and the main thing that people mention to me is the acting and diving. They cannot stand it and I completely understand.

Here in the States we have sports like WWE and other garbage-ass wrestling where acting takes place. Let's get something done where soccer is not a sport where acting and diving make more headlines than the match itself. Until more is done about this, the chance of average joes turning to soccer as a sport to watch and follow will be very slim.

Come on FIFA sort it out!

18. americanmike

Can't argue there.

My father is a Fulham fan (like he has a choice?!) but he is also a huge fan of Thierry and follows Arsenal when I'm not looking. With that said, even he was dissapointed, especially when it lead to a goal. We both felt that a player with Henry's ability doesn't need to dive so why did he?! That fact makes his dive even more disgraceful.