Southern California Wildfires

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 23, 2007.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

We all get caught up with our teams' struggles and a bad result putting us in a poor mood, but what's going on out here is a reality check. There are currently a dozen wild fires that AREN'T under control in LA, San Bernadino, and especially San Diego counties. Over 300,000 people (yes that 5 zeros) have been evacuated (w/over 600 homes burnt to the ground) in the San Diego area alone.

For those not familiar w/the weather here, we have a condition called Santa Ana Winds where the wind blows hot (it was 95F yesterday) and between 30-60 mph. Needless to say it makes fighting fires a near impossible task.

The closest fire is 30-40 miles away from my house, but it smells like smoke outside, and the sky is an eerily sunset hued color (even at high noon). Very surreal and very sad.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Mrs PF flew out of Burbank Sunday and she said it was pretty amazing, then.

Wouldnt it be nice if some of the rain pelting the mid-nation would have dropped there.

3. EricD

EricD New Member

We need the rain. It is actually ridiculous how dry it has been out here. One of the fires was in part of Irvine, which is fairly close to my house. The air was thick, but it appears to have dispersed some. I am glad the winds have gone down a little. I hate to see these sites on the news.

The drains in my house backed up due to the roots in the yard yesterday. I was complaining about it, and then I realized that my problem is nothing compared to those who stand to lose their houses and possibly more.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wildfire Map!

Click here for fire map

Note: for those familiar with Google Maps it's easy.. for the few that arent, I suggest picking the hybrid view and zoom in/out as you wish to see particular communities.

My son Kevin's house in Sierra Madre -across the 210, north and east of Pasadena- is safe at the moment but as he is one block away from the San Gabriel foothills, nothing is certain.

5. Fern72

Fern72 Member

When i went to my car this morning there was ashes all around. The air is horrible right now. I'm about 20 miles from the closest fire, but the affects of it are reaching my home.

Please pray for the firefighters, that they keep their strength. Weare in some bad shape over in California.