Sorry, kids ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Oct 3, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

... but I finally realized that I have to stop spending.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... 9020071003

After miring the nation deeper in debt, and mortaging our children's future through his profligate spending, the president has decided to stop $35billion being added to the deficit today by vetoing a bill passed by bipartisan majorities in both houses.

The fact that the money was designed to enhance medical coverage and care for children made the veto even more attractive to the president. After all, somebody has to pay for runaway deficits caused by:

a. huge tax cuts for the wealthy.
    b. no bid contracts to administration cronies like Halliburton and Blackwater.
    c. the obscene cost of the unnecessary war in Iraq.
    d. the billions in tax dollars continuing to pour into Star Wars or the SDI or whatever it is these days.

Of course, what the president doesn't seem to realize is that those kids he hung out to dry with the veto are the very ones who'll have to bear the burden of his this administration's obscene spending. But, certainly, having been denied decent health care when they're young shouldn't affect their ability to learn and earn and pay taxes down the road!

It's really hard for me to conceive of any presidential action in the last 30 years that matches this for just basic cruelty.

But I'm sure I'll be told that I'm wrong and that the best thing for those kids is to deny them all medical care and blah blah blah crap.

HatterDon be pissed.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You should not drink so early in the afternoon. At least wait until after 1:00 p.m. Central.

Oh, you meant the other pissed. Damn, and I was going to join you!

3. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I was just talking about this very subject with a friend. I'm with you all the way, Don.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wanna bother refuting the REASON for the veto... or just spout the party line?

I know.. it just FEELS so wrong.. and ALL the wonderful progressive informed are FOR it.

It's for the CHIRRUNN..George Dubya Bush HATES the little chirrun.

Bah!

Don REALLY hates that veto because it was a stalking horse for Hillary's single payer national health care.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So are you telling me that Orrin Hatch is creating legislation for the Clinton's now? This bill is overwhelmingly Republican in its content. It's state administered with little or no federal control.

No, Petty, the president doesn't hate the "chirrun" [you're so cute when you're dismissing other people's opinions] -- he just doesn't give a crap about children who's parents aren't the big checkwriters for the party.

I've disagreed with all four of the president's vetoes. The first two -- about stem cell research -- I understood because each bill ran afoul of deeply held personal moral beliefs. The third veto was a calculated effort to stop the Democrats from showing cojones, and I understand that. But this bill was vetoed simply because he needed an opportunity to show the base that he was still a member of the Republican Party. He needed to cut some federal spending and so he chose this bill.

Instead of cutting back on spending on the "missile defense system" [what a frickin' joke that is], he cut back onspending on children's medical care.

Instead of cutting back on tax cuts for the wealthy, he cut back on children's medical care.

Instead of cutting back on the incredible waste of the Iraq war, he cut back on children.

And he's hoping that everyone will buy the lie that this was a bad bill designed to Help Hillary -- and that this is a lifelong goal of Orrin Hatch -- so that they won't feel too uncomfortable supporting him.

No, I don't think that the president "hates chirrun" -- I think that he is the cynical leader of a cynical administration who just doesn't care about the human costs of his cynical acts.

6. pettyfog

The TAX cuts for the wealthy short circuited the recession from both the burst internet bubble and 9/11.

it wasnt that much money.... he blew MUCH more than that on that stupid prescription bill. No it wasnt the money, Don.

Whatever... either the veto will be overridden or the thing will be negotiated over. The program isnt going to fold up.

Notice that the bill expanded the coverage to more than the poor, though?

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'll laugh, out loud, if the House manages to get a veto-breaking majority; the Senate already has it. This was a bad political move by Bush; badly chosen and badly timed. A veto-breaker will be another nail in the GOP's coffin for this upcoming election. It's a badly chosen bill because the GOP representatives who vote against it (veto breaking or not) are going to be crucified for it by their Democratic competition during the next election (if you want to alienate women voters from a candidate, tell them that the candidate voted against taking care of children).

So the GOP is left with two bad outcomes:
    1. The veto is broken, which makes the incumbent GOP President look week
    2. The veto is not broken, resulting in an even larger Democratic majority in the House

I'm sure the GOP leadership has some nice choice words for Bush this week.

8. pettyfog

See ... it's that "voted against children" thing, again.

When I pointed that out it was one thing. When Andy does it, it means.... oh, yeah.. the SAME THING!

9. pettyfog

The GOP doesnt need nails in their coffins.

They already nailed in more than enough.

[​IMG]

I am OUTRAGED! The criminal Bush has reacted against poor Muslim children!

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

pettyfog. It's all about spin, and the Dems are a lot better at it than the GOP.

11. pettyfog

That's what I mean. When they're not establishing 'concensus' with Dems, they're operating from the same playbook.

witness the earmarks, witness the stinking pile of poo that is the Alaska GOP.

This is NOT the 'Contract with America' GOP... they all got disgusted and left.

Or were pushed out by character assasination, like Newt.

There's only a few left, like Tom Coburn.

12. pettyfog

Update:
    You know the kid that gave the Dem response on the veto:
    Well, that is fortunate, that you had it, but Bush isnt going to take your CHIP away.... he only vetoed it because of the likelihood that more well off families will opt for it and invest the money in their businesses or private schools for their kids instead of on private health insurance.

Halsey, Graeme and Gemma... sounds like people who would rather NOT go to Baltimore public Schools, I'm thinking.

Hmmmm... wonder if there's something phoney, here.

Just sayin

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"There's lies, damned lies, and then there's RNC spin doctoring" -- with apologies to Mark Twain.

14. pettyfog

Spin Doctoring?!!!! Did you READ it? THAT paradigm is why Bush vetoed it, these people qualified under the old plan. SCHIP expanded qualifying.

Poor kids my ass! "$45,000 family income" where annual tuition for their kids is $40,000!!!!

Tell me WHO SPUN WHAT.

Needy people dont hold over a half million dollars in non-farm {an important distinction} Real Estate assets and send their kids to private schools.

What it WAS is they opted out of health care because CHIP covered the kids.
    In effect we are subsidizing part of their school tuitions.

You know, I am getting really worried about the state of our politics. surely the Dem leadership isnt that stupid. They knew these people are REALLY upper middle class.
    Did they REALLY think no one was gonna check out the background here?

No... this is another case where there's going to be hardening of the lines. This is going to blow up.. and the Dem supporters wont budge. Out of pride and surety that anyone who complains about this 'hates needy kids'.

Truth means nothing, perception is everything.

15. pettyfog

Dem Derangement Syndrome!

Is THAT all you got? The RNC had nothing to do with it... it was the DNC that's spinning whole cloth. The hubris of the Leadership Elite evidently DOESNT think much of us average guy citizens, but just as in Rather's case they will squeal like little stuck pigs when someone calls 'em out with the inconvenient truth.

Here's some MORE 'Spin':

Tainted campaign donations will be kept, Democrats say
    'Policy'? Not a BYLAW or a Rule? Well, it IS a convenient 'policy'...

Jack Abramo-who?

We will end this culture of corruption.
    - Nancy Pelosi

And promote the democrats' instead
    -pettyfog

WTF is OUR 'Ronnie Earle'!????

16. EricD

EricD New Member

IMO, when a politician uses the, "It's for the kids" line, it is BS. That is the ploy of demagoguery.

17. pettyfog

Unfortunately ALMOST ALL politicians do it.

And NO ONE is against programs for needy kids, and IN FACT, I am not even against those particular people playing the system as they have.

It is there.. when it's used for advancement of the family good, then who am I to say it's wrong.
    They did NOT use the money saved from no health care costs to buy drugs or throw parties. But uses such as this only encourages more people to suck from the tax payers' teat, when they can pay for themselves.

But get THIS... the DNC HAD to KNOW they were spinning this in a crass appeal based on the two kids' injuries and EXPLOITED THOSE INJURIES to appeal to all those who FEEL that full,' free' healthcare is everyones' right.

THAT is what the VETO WAS ABOUT. Anyone want to apologize to Dubya?

No... I didnt think so! Just f@#$g slink off and wait until the NEXT chance for a cheap shot!

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

keep on spinning, 'fog.
    The fact remains that the bill was a bi-partisan bill that had all the Republican "need-to's" in it. The ONLY reason that it was vetoed was because the president had to cut spending to appease the Republican's conservative check writers. And the truth is incontrovertable that, by making this decision at this time, the president has shown that when given the choice of reducing deficits by:

a. rescinding tax cuts to the wealthy,
    b. cutting back on no-bid contracts to firms like Blackwater and Halliburton,
    c. cutting spending on the so-called missile shield, [OR]
    d. cutting funding for children's health care,

he has shown which group he's least interested in.

You can quibble about how much family income makes someone eligible; you can say that the DNC knew that this was a good time to call the White House's bluff; and you can even do the Rove Rhumba and bring up a host of unrelated history to try and distract us. But what you can't do is change the facts. The president used his veto power at this time on this bill and this spending because the RNC's major checkwriters care less about the health of poor children then they do enriching themselves.

And so does the president, and so does the party.

But don't let that stop you from trying another 325 methods of justifying the veto.

19. pettyfog

And dont let that stop you from REALITY.

the REALITY is it's the Dems who DONT give a f@#$k about the 'poor' getting OUT of the morass. What the hell would they run on if there werent victims?
    And the DNC doesnt give a F@##$ about YOU either. As long as you swallow that crap you're in their camp.

The CRooks just keep on coming up with ways to 'soak the rich' so they can dole JUST ENOUGH out to the poor to keep 'em in line. You tell ME what good it would do for conservatives to maintain a base of the poor?

Oh, you can come up with that Corporate Greed thing and 'exploitation of the masses' but it holds no water when looked at close. They richer people are the more stuff they buy, the more they work to buy more stuff.

Why do you think I aint constantly drumming on China? It works, there... no matter WHAT the Central Government tries to do to manage it.

Marxists and their fellow travelers just freaking HATE what China is doing.

The thread ISNT about Iraq or anything else. It's about stopping anohter runaway entitlement that will ultimately wreck our health care system for the poor and low-earners.

ALL the bumpersticker 'TRUTHS' you can come up with WONT change the FACTS!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

no doubt about it, dude; you are the Dancing Harry of this site. :banana:

Enough of politically-related posts on this site for at least the rest of the year for this little black duck.