"Something's happening here

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Dive or no dive - I would take him... He is the best player in Concacaf at the moment.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Jens, I'm a little surprised you would say that considering you're a Spurs fan. Dos Santos has been better (even with the little girl hairdo) of late, but the best player in Concacaf plays for Spuds now and that's Wilson Palacios.

Back on topic... :?

Gooch isn't even on the bench for the CL today. From what I've seen the problem in the back for AC Milan isn't in the middle, but w/the fullbacks. Barring injury Gooch ain't replacing Nesta or Silva anytime soon, except for the occasional Cup matches (whatever the Italian version of the Carling Cup is called). The allure of going to Milan was too much to pass down, but France with all the advantages he already had (language, culture, etc..) should have been the destination. I hope I'm wrong, but a Jan. loan would not be a shocker.

Adu...If he doesn't get playing time on a mid/lower end of the table club in Portugal, it's time to come home. I've never heard anything about his attitude over there (remember his up w/the DC coach), but he should be the first one at the training ground and the last one to leave.

Bradley, the advice I'm hoping his Dad gave him is to keep your mouth shut, and do what the coach says.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I dont know why you would be surprised - he is scoring and/or involved in almost 100% of the goals scored for Mexico.... But Concacaf suits him - it is perfect for his quick (but wimpy) twinkle toes - playing style.

Dont get me wrong - I think anyone would take Palacios too, but I have not seen him be as dangerous in this competition.

But yes - on topic...

Wait - what is it? Oh yeah... the US guys not getting time.

I dont believe in the conspiracy, but I do believe that international coaches do not have a belief in he American player. When looking at the team sheet for an upcoming match, the American kid must be thought of as a risk and not someone that can be counted on when it matters.

That was the case for Demps - remember all of our discussion on that? He only got in the side ad proved his worth because of injury.

It seems all of our guys are in this same boat, but I do no believe that we have time to wait for a coach to be desperate enough to put them in. Bring them home, send them to Mexico, Holland, France, Scotland, or 2nd division clubs from the big 4 leagues. Let them quietly work their trade and grow into fan favorites and build a resume in a place where there is some major fan support so they are thrown into the fire a bit.

Problem is - I think some of them get their heads messed up when they start thinking all the hype about them is true and that they are entitled to something.

They are not. Beyond the Confederations Cup they squeaked into - They have done next to nothing, and won nothing - and that is the honest truth.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

... As much as I love them.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Your words ring true to my ears, Jensers.

Maybe squeaking out victories against CONCACAF minnows equals something?....

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

How are you going to tell a guy who has been working his ass off for such a long time, many times waiting patiently for his opportunity, that he is not allowed to reach for the brass ring?

That may be the MSL's idea on how to grow their league, but it is undeniably at the expense of some of their players' dreams. I don't like it, nor agree with telling these guys how, when, where to ply their trade.

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You are right - it isnt up to us, or MLS to tell these players what to do with their careers (once they have completed their MLS contract).

I think IT IS the job of US Soccer to tell them to seek out first team football and to encourage them to request loan opportunities if they are not playing.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Man, I really hate to parrot Wynalda, but part of the problem is that the MLS season structure is restrictive to players gaining transfer to Europe. You're essentially reduced to the winter transfer window b/c the summer window comes at an essential time in the season. Not the best time to let your best players leave and have to acclimate new players into the squad.

It's tough, what's best for growing MLS and what's best for improving US Soccer are at odds.