Soccer & Politics meet in SLC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spencer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Interesting stuff from those nuts in Salt Lake

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660228122,00.html

RSL responded by taking down the banners and flags and tossing the fans. Its a tough spot for RSL, 11k were there and it would be pretty bad to have the opposition just walk off in the middle of the match.

China should expect this to be honest. Surely they are subjected to to tough treatment when they go to play in Japan and Korea, no?(calling krhimself to expand on this) They really should be able to handle this.

btw; T of C, you support Liverpool and reside in friggin Utah, that must suck! :3d smile:

just jawing, I'm sure Utah is only half as bad as it sounds

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I must say, that is something I would have NEVER expected to see in SLC. Damn kids must be watching too much SLC Punk!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nice to see that just the very presence of Chinese on our shores can encourage us to quash freedom of expression. These guys refuse to play if the crowd doesn't play nice? Amazing.

I am very disappointed, but not the slightest bit surprised, at our reaction to a challenge to our first amendment rights.

4. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Football is very clear on the influence a government can have over a national association - FIFA believes that politics should not be part of football, for example Greece/Iran/Macedonia have all been threaten or banned from FIFA for political interference.

From that you can argue that fans should not be allowed into a ground carrying political banners and flags as the governing body of the sport deliberately tries to make the game apolitical - it is about bringing together people, rather than tribal stuff.

Now, that is clearly codswollop and if some humerous SLC dude wants to p*ss of the Chinese, then good luck to him, shame on the local Stasi.

5. krhimself

krhimself New Member

It's actually far, far worse when Japan and Korea (and any country for that matter) go into China and play. Given the history of the area, it's not much of a surprise, but things get really ugly when either of the teams show up, particularly if you were a Japanese supporter.

I remember seeing clips from the last Asian Cup that was held in China. The home team and Japan were in the Final, and there was turmoil from the beginning. They unfurled a load of banners, then proceeded to drown out Japan's anthem with a chorus of boos. During the match, they booed up a storm whenever a Japanese player touched the ball. After the match, a sizable mob tried to overturn a car with a Japanese politician (it might have been the foreign minister) inside.

Japan hasn't played a match there ever since, I believe.

But really, the Chinese team is getting a small taste of its own medicine. Their supporters dish out their fair share of politics, so they should be able to take it as well.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member