Soccer and a seven year-olds mind!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BarryP, Aug 16, 2007.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

There are three things you must know about my seven year-old daughter to understand my story.

1. She LOVES soccer. She likes playing more than watching but she will sit and watch a match with me. She is actually quite good for her age and comprehends the game well. She understands the offside rule, appreciates a good pass and dearly loves to see the ball hit the back of the net.
    2. The soccer club she plays for has uniforms that are primarily navy and white. Therefore she will root for almost any team in a blue uniform. I did mention she was seven, right!
    3. Unlike her dear old dad who has a soft spot for the underdog she loves a front runner. When we watch any type of sporting event she almost always finds out who is winning before deciding whom she will root for.

Now my story. My daughter and I had just come in from one of her soccer practices and grabbed a quick bite of supper before I settled in front of the TV to watch a replay of the Reading/Chelsea game. My daughter on the other hand high-tailed it out the door looking for neighborhood friends to play with. Much to her disappointment nobody could play and she ended up watching the match with me. At the time Reading was up one-nil. Upon planting her bottom on the floor in front of the couch my daughter asked me who the blue team was (Reading was in blue and Chelsea yellow) and after checking the score declared she was rooting for Reading. Given the above this came with little surprise but was good news cause old dad was rooting for Reading too.

After about five minutes of watching the game my daughter turned to me and said she changed her mind she was rooting for Chelsea. I have to admit Chelsea’s passing game was working well but Reading’s defense had not allowed Chelsea to even sniff the goal in the short time my daughter had watched the match. Knowing my daughter to love the front runner as she does the change in rooting preference had me curious so I asked her what had made her change her mind. Without hesitating she told me, “I like the way they (Chelsea) work together and they (Chelsea) just look like they were having more fun. That’s the way coach teaches us; work together and have fun.”

The second half started and Lampard scored after two or three forward header flicks without the ball touching the ground and my daughter exclaims, “That was cool!” A few minutes later Drogba knocks a screamer in from just outside the box and with the biggest I told you so grin on her face my little darling turns and declares, “I told you they were good.” My only thought was; so this is what it is like to watch a game with a Chelsea fan.

Wait until she finds out Chelsea usually wears blue.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Your story gave me a good laugh. Thank you much for sharing it. You seem to have a Chelsea fan in your midst. The adolescent years could be even rougher for you and the missus' than originally anticipated...

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Thanks ToM. I already know this one is going to be a handfull but if she picks a team like Chelsea I may have to gag her during any Fulham/Chelsea games.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

love the story; thanks for sharing

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I can relate to that, every time a game is on my five year old sister will ask "who's better" and then cheer for them.

I think shes sort of coming around though, lately when a game is on she'll sometimes ask, "is Fulham playing" or "is USA playing"

6. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

RE: Re: Soccer and a seven year-olds mind!

LOL. Good story. My 13 year old sister loves Chelsea. A die hard fan since she was 7.

Her reason why? Her name is ALSO Chelsea. So I am sad to say that I often buy her Chelsea FC gear for her birthdays. I feel tainted when I do it, too.

:p

7. jmh

jmh New Member

She's young, she'll learn.

Cool story, though. 8)

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Re: RE: Re: Soccer and a seven year-olds mind!

Sadly, my brother fell by the wayside and became a Chelsea fan as well. Original a Real Madrid supporter, then Chelsea, then Spurs and now back to Chelsea. Pretty tough to keep up with what club he supports.

Unfortunately, when his birthday rolls around I always seem to pick him up something football related. Whenever I go into a shop to pick up a Chelsea shirt or scarf I always seem to hang my head in shame. Always gives me the willies