Snow day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SteveM19, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

The school district that signs my paychecks is digging out from a storm -- not a bad one, sez I, but a lot of kids there are from pretty rural communities spread far and wide, and they cancelled classes today. So, keeping in mind that I have a sick son and a sick wife, who is verrrrrry happy to have free labor around the house today, what should I do?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What do you mean what should you do? Are looking for tips to help around the house and make your wife and son feel better? Make lunch and/or for the fam (soup and sandwiches are easy and a big hit on cold days) and clean the obvious messes...that would be a big help. God, I wish my husband was a lot more tidy around the house. :)

You could, also, ask the missus what she would like for you to do.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Re: RE: Snow day

Believe me Heather, I more than pull my weight around here :wink:

THere is a lot to be said for having coffee on and doing the vacuuming.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Snow day

We're in the process of getting another 20" on top of the 30" we already have. We're also getting 30+ mph gusts and way freezing temperatures.

And no, I live in Baltimore, not Minneapolis. :-(

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

You vacuum? Oh man, that's great. I should have married you Steve. :D

Btw...I have never seen this much snow in the DC area in my life. And I have lived here for 25 years.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Sorry, my bride got me first -- and damned if she didn't get a handsome one.

I have a friend from Roanoke who is trapped in DC -- she isn't smiling right now!

Also,from Arlington National Cemetary --

[​IMG]

They have closed the cemetary to the public today b/c of the snow -- I wonder how the guards still do their walk.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Tell him 'guys do power tools'. A vacuum's a power tool
    I really havent been looking as hard as you'd think about the weather record in the mid-atlantic, but everyone says about the same thing.

And the AVERAGE ANNUAL snowfall record long term in NoVa is 16 inches

Note that's average. Hell even here in Ohio we've had recent winters that never had more than 2 inches on the ground at a time. And sparsely occurring, at that.

A major difference, I've heard: Here drivers seem to have to 'relearn' how to drive in snow every year. In the mid atlantic, every snowfall.

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

It seems like it is a every seven year thing here. 1995-1996, 2002-2003, and 2009-2010 were/have been all over 40 inches while the in-between years have not had more than 15 and have have less than 10 five times.

BTW, if you want good DC weather info, go to the Capital Weather Gang at the link below:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capita ... er-sidecar

In terms of driving in this stuff--my car has not left the driveway since last Friday. We're lucky in that we can walk every where (stores, restaurants, etc.)

9. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

DC Heather, stuck here in Alexandria, we've been cleaning and cooking since last Friday! There's nothing left to clean, there's no room left in the garage to put the trash and I'm ceretain we won't see the trash pickup until at least March! Now what do we do? Help!

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog, I'm wondering where exactly "NoVa" is. In the western part of the state, snow is very commonplace. Having said that, we only had one significant snow day in the 4.5 years I spent in The Baltimore area [blizzard of '83 -- which was their biggest ever one-day snowfall up to that date], and we just had one weird week in the Tidewater area when I lived in Hampton, VA. On Presidents Day weekend we had a blizzard; the following weekend we had a blizzard. In the four days in between we had two record high temperatures. EVERYBODY WAS SICK then.

My question about where in NoVa your getting that average is that I don't remember a lot of sustained snowfall close to the coast during the time I lived in MD and VA. And, to us, "Northern Virginia" meant the southern DC suburbs. I'll grant that 6.5 years in two batches isn't enough to get the real feel for the weather in the area.

Heather, don't diss your hubby. I remember that he bought you a McBride bobblehead when you were dating, so I think deep down he's a decent dude.

Oh, and I saw a thread on FB from a friend of mine who lives in the District that says that his liver can't take another snow day -- yet another way to fill your time!

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Do you have a Wii? Wii is a great way to pass time without making much of a mess and stay warm, or board games--family pictionary can be fun and brutal. You could also go sledding after the wind dies down.

I do remember the 95/96 winter...I don't think that was a much snow as we have now, especially in such a short timespan. But I do remember that being a more dangerous winter, since it was mostly ice if I recall correctly. My dad refused to let me get on the bus getting the track team home from a track meet. We drove from Baltimore to Crofton in god awful conditions. I still remember him having to stop at lights and stop signs and we slid through most of the stopping. Scared me...I hate driving in snowy conditions.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Hey Don, he is a decent dude and I love him. However, keeping the place tidy is not in his character, but I can keep dreaming. :wink:

13. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

Hatter Don - Not sure where 'fog is getting his numbers, but these days Northern Virginia usually refers to the cities and counties both in the southern suburbs, and those north and west of the DC. Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Manassas, even Stafford to an extent. The easy way to tell, if your driving in Virginia and sitting in traffic, anytime, day or night, you're in northern virginia.

Got a Wii, and a copy of FIFA '10. But even on a video game, I'm a better fan than I am a footballer.

14. pettyfog

$%%#@#%#@ Don. If you dont like NoVa, think DC metro... I didnt make the ##$#@@#$ term UP!

Get the fuck over your link phobia and click on the sumbitch!!!!!

You REALLY piss me off! And After I spent a half frweakin hour doing a search for you

The link is NOT to Fox News so it wont pollute your #$#@#@#$@ mindset!

15. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Snow day

Um...... think creatively!

Does the term 'Snow Fort' spark anything?

Do I have to point out the obvious to EVERYONE? 8)

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Better picture of Arlington -- the snow is almost over the headstones!

[​IMG]