Six Americans In a Prem Game!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by McQ, Mar 17, 2008.

1. McQ

McQ New Member

Every American in the park played yesterday. By my count 6 (Howard, Keller, McBride, Johnson, Dempsey and Boca) that has to be a record for Americans in a Premiership match. If you take into account Hangeland - who was born in the USA (Texas - but chose to play for Norway his fathers country), that would put the number at 7.

It shows the progress the USA is making as a footballing nation - pretty impressive.

(and I didn't even bring up Canada being the 51st state which would add Stalteri out of respect to our Canadian friends)

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Of course, five of the Yanks play for a team that's in the relegation zone. :oops:

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: Six Americans In a Prem Game!

Ayup.... best keep the self congratulations low-key

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

And don't forget Feilhaber and Lewis at Derby. Reading isn't clear of the relegation zone mess either.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you young guys have no idea what all this means -- all these Americans in the Prem -- to someone who first started following the English game in 1966. I NEVER envisioned an American starting in ANY division in England. I NEVER envisioned a USA team in the World Cup Finals, but we've been ever-present since 1990.

As far as the yanks in the Prem, there's a lot of credit to MLS and the extensive college program, especially the presence of English coaches in the college system providing good scouting. But probably MOST of the credit goes to the EU and the breakdown of work barriers.

In the mid-60s, English teams could only feature players from England, Scotland, NI, Wales, and Ireland. Scottish teams, for some reason, could also field players from one of the Scandinavian countries. Italian sides could field Argentinean players and Portuguese sides could field Brazilians, but most of the other leagues were stuck with home-grown players. Once EU ruled that if you could get a work permit in any member nation, cause had to be shown for restricting you from others, all leagues became multi-national. This immediately benefitted Brazilian players -- I read that there's around 450 Brazilians playing professionally away from the home country -- and later benefitted Asians and Africans.

We're playing in England because (a) we're fit (b) we're disciplined [Clint Mathis is the exception that proves the rule], and (c) we're CHEAP. Brian McBride arrived for 700,000; Spurs paid 18m for Bent.

Anyhow, for an old fart like me, seeing Americans playing in the Prem is reward enough. Seeing them excelling -- Friedel and Howard have both made the EPL season best 11 in the past -- and seeing them embraced by the home fans is still remarkable to me.

Good days.

6. tim

tim Active Member

7. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

I have a bet with my brother (who still lives in England) that the USA will win a World Cup before England does again. I think its easy money.

8. AttyInVA

AttyInVA New Member

I had the privilege of being at that game and I told my wife she witnessed history. When McBride scored I startd chanting USA. Haha - yes, I am a dork! But, I have followed every American in the Premiership since the internet became available and it was very special (plus this was my first ever Premiership game).

Was this the first time 6 were on the pitch or did it happen earlier this year?