Sir Bobby Dies

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Martin-in-Nashville, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Rest in peace Sir Bobby.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

RIP Sir Bobby, we are all worse off wthout you.

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

A Fulham legend, among his other accomplishments. Sad to read this.

RIP

5. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

As I said on my blog this morning, Heaven welcomed a great man today.

RIP Sir Bobby.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I haven't posted about this on the English Fulham sites, because my memories of Bobby begin with his time as manager of Ipswich. I thought he was a great manager -- both with club and country -- and a fine gentleman. I can't think of a single player, manager, commentator, or club director that didn't think the world of the guy.

As football gets more and more about the Drogbas and the Redknapps, it's good to remember that at one time the most respected man in English football was MOST respected for his integrity.

RIP Sir Bobby.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

He was a true gent. England has lost a famous son. A hero at Fulham who played at a time of Fulham heros.

Not our most successful manager though :). A measure of the man that after the incident he still cherished Fulham and was a frequent visitor to the cottage, always met with a standing ovation.

8. RDG

RDG Member

Sir Bobby -- RIP

This is an email I received from "johnnyhaynes", whom some of you have met and more have heard about.

:cry:

Another Fulham legend bites the dust.

He joined Fulham in 1950 (same year as Johnny H). Fulham sold him for £25k in 1956 and then bought him back 6 years later for £20k

I never saw him play until he re-joined FFC in 1962 from West Brom (his only other club). Then I saw him regularly until the end of his career.

He played right half and (on a good day) he and JH would dominate the mid-field.

One evening in the mid-60's, I'd just captained my school team to win the Harrow Schools Cup (and also scored the decisive goal). My dad and I were standing in the clubhouse having a cup of tea and sarnies after the medal presentations when a hand went on my shoulder and someone said "well played young man".

I looked up and it was (Sir) Bobby. With my dad glowing in the background he said he liked the way I played. He explained that he was doing his FA coaching badge (for when he retired from playing for Fulham) and as part of that was coaching the Harrow Schools teams (composed of boys selected from all the schools). He said that he would like me to come to his training session the following Wednesday - (dear God, I remember all of this as if it were yesterday!).

Well of course I went and (for once!) I was on fire at that training session with him. So much so I went straight on the team sheet for the next game. Prior to the game, I had to fill in the FA schoolboys forms - and that's when it was discovered I was 8 weeks too old to be eligible! (long story).

That incident and a second one when I was 18 (involving a car accident) made me think that perhaps a career in football was just not meant to be.

Still, I was coached by Sir Bobby Robson! - another true Fulham gentleman!

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Sir Bobby -- RIP

GREAT STORY!