Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Apr 11, 2008.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

To make a long story short, I have a old college buddy of mine who contacted me via Facebook. Really liked the guy and recently we’ve been catching up via the social networking site. He gave me his story of how he got to where he is and I gave him mine of how I found Fulham, moved to London, got married, etc.

With that said, he asked me about FFC and how he could become a fan. He really wants to start following a team.

Should I give him all the info he desires but caveat it with, ‘it will be a bumpy ride dude, like driving off a cliff in a VW beetle’.

Or

Should I tell him to not get involved!?

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Mike, from one former Man United fan to another, the answer is an unequivocal YES. Why not? Heck, you got your wife out of the deal. You are practically a minor celebrity within the club. Sure, we are going down. Does the fact the Knicks suck drive you away as a fan? OK That might have been a bad point since they are an embarrassment. Tell him what you do with the club and have him watch the Reading game at a bar this weekend.

If all of us here are big enough boys and girls to handle the fact that being a fan of Fulham means you are going to have a few spectacular car crashes along the way, so is he.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well said, Steve; bring him aboard, Mikey

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Mike, absolutely. I knew what i was getting into when I signed on for being on the Fulham Wagon. The interaction on this board alone makes being a fan well worth it. Hell, the interaction just between Fog and Don on politics makes it worth it.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I wanted to add something else here. When I was a fan of the Evil Empire, they won a few pieces of silverware (surprise). They were -- and still are -- a fun team to watch. They had some players that I very much admire[d] for several different reasons.

This year, as a Fulham fan, I will see us win no silverware. We are an, um, interesting team to watch. Relegation is all but certain. I admire almost all of the players, but not in the sense that I admire what Rooney or Ronaldo can do on the pitch.

What I had more of this year is FUN. I enjoyed watching Fulham lose w/ Mo and her family, or screaming at the TV in my house, more than I did watching games w/ the Man U fans around Cleveland who don't know anything about their club. They do know that "I LIKE RED", or "DAVID BECKHAM/ RONALDO IS SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE" or the one that tried my patience the most, "What was Munich?". They also liked any of several tangential topics that Man U fans in the states seem to concern themselves with when the game is going on.

I don't want to use the term "front runners" because on this side of the pond, I'm just grateful they're soccer fans, and if that is how they get their enjoyment out of the game, that is fine by me. However, their is definitely a different dynamic watching a game with them that is really not up my alley.

Also, Mike, show your friend this board. I like this board so much more than Man U fan sites for several reasons, but I'll start with one small one: I have never seen a very harsh 4 letter word on this site that I am not going to hint at, and it is very prevalent on a site like Redcafe or Redtalk. United fans also seem to feel like they resent new fans being an admirer of their club, like we don't know the secret knock to the clubhouse door or something, and we came in anyway. Basically, United fans ain't the friendliest group to be around.

So, we're going down (probably). It won't be the first disappointment in my life and it won't be the last. It's still a fun-filled ride, not unlike the previous analogy of riding a VW bug off a cliff. Bring your friend along for the ride. He'll never forgive you for it, and you'll both be all the better for it.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

What's the problem?

Get him on here, like SteveM said. He's an old college buddy right? He ought'a be somewhat conversant with 'Agony of Defeat' and that's the spice of what we got right now.

Not like it's ManU v Chelsea, OSU v Michigan {Florida}, Yankees v Red Sox..or anything else.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Show him the light, he can choose to put shades on.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Everybody above is correct, bring him on in.

And, I love SteveM19's new icon.

Bienvenidos.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You can't go wrong looking at Audrey Hepburn -- I have a calendar of her next to my desk at work.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'd might come up w/a different cavaet then the 'driving off the cliff...' :roll: . However, if he isn't a bandwagon fan then he'll enjoy the ride. Just be honest and let him know that seeing the team will be difficult if the "R" word happens.

11. IanHux

IanHux New Member

By all means, let him come. I had no clue what I was getting into but I've had the most fun following the Whites as I've had in a long time. I guess it helps dealing with our current form when 75% of the teams at your high school also suffer from horrible win percentages.

12. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Got to be a bit bipolar, but it's days like today that make it AWESOME!

13. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

If we have to go through it, then I say share the pain!