Should Capello pick Beckham?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by shinerbockguy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Agree with your take on Donavan Hatter but that is because Winalda summed it up so nicely when Christian interviewed him. Donavan is a guy who plays soccer rather than a soccer player.

2. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

So Becks is out....for now. Could be a very smart move on Capello's part (last time he dumped Becks he caught fire - not literally, of course - and helped carry Real Madrid to La Liga title). Could also be good for MLS.
    Of course Capello said that when Becks is playing regularly, he'll be back in consideration.

Landon Donovan is talented, maybe not as motivated as he should be.
    He definately should not be captain - if he's on the team. He is not terribly classy or clutch. Be at least one or the other - or maybe just damn tough.

When he scores the winning goal at Azteca - that's when the credit for playing well against Mexico will come. Winning in LA or Boston or whatever does not have the same level of difficulty. (and yes, I know there are still more Mexico fans...)

He whined about the Copa Americana.
    You guys saw him choke in the SuperLiga final, right?
    His corner kicks are awful - rarely do they clear the first defender or give anybody a legitimate chance to score.
    He is good - don't get me wrong, but we'll never win if he's the "Talisman." Not gonna happen. I'd have no problem with him on the bench, or maybe on a wing. He can even take the PKs. I'll also give him credit for giving Becks the armband for the Galaxy.
    However, he is not a starting (USMNT) striker, shouldn't take the corners, and should not wear the armband.
    I will say, though, that he's still young - maybe he'll grow up a little. And if so, watch out. A dedicated, driven Donovan would be a handful.