Should Capello pick Beckham?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by shinerbockguy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Two questions:
    1. Should (and will) Capello pick Beckham for the Switzerland friendly?
    2. (more importantly) Should (and will) Beckham have a place on the team for the World Cup Qualifiers?

Bonus third question:
    Will Bob Bradley have the cajones to kick Donovan to the curb?
    (which he should do, by the way...)

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think that Capello should pick Beckham for Swiss friendly and Becks should have to clearly win/prove himself for WC Qualifiers, something that I believe he could do if he spends less time getting tatoos and more time on the pitch.

Bradley will not have the cajones because Donovan deserves to be on the team. There I said it. I know it's not popular but I said it.

3. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Re: RE: Should Capello pick Beckham?

You sound like a kid who's mom just made him finish yucky-tasting medicine.... :D

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Should Capello pick Beckham?

The way Adu is playing, I have my doubts that Donovan will start in WC2010.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm witcha, Mo. I don't like the guy either, but we have nobody who can match Donovan for pace, positioning, versatility, aggression, and field smarts -- NOBODY. The last time any of us has seen an American player so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else on the USMNT talentwise, the name on the back of his jersey said "RAMOS."

If the 2010 team isn't built around Donovan, then he's either injured or a whole lot of "pretty good players" got real good in near record speed. Or Bradley is an idiot.

As far as Becks is concerned, he's still one of the 11 best English players on the planet, but I wouldn't pick him for the next match because he's not match fit. Wait until the MLS season is under way and then see what happens.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yes, yes, and no.

Beckham brings an intangible that no other English national possesses.

Cakes is a fixture, whether we like it or not. He is just too much of a powerhouse in matches that count for nothing.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

So... basically, the problem is that Donovan is really good in friendlies and WCQ against minnows, and merely pretty good in bigger matches?

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

"Pretty good" is probably an overstatement. He is known to get overwhelmed and exposed against the better teams. Could be part of the reason he moved to MLS from the Bundesliga.

I'm pretty sure you know all this already.

9. EricD

EricD New Member

I think Beckham deserves an opportunity for his 100th cap based on what he has done for England over his career. The game is meaningless, so what is the risk. He will probably play well like he has in the past England games.

Becks may get a spot in the bench for the important qualifiers, but Capello needs to develop his players. David Bentley is a nice young player who will probably start on the right side of the midfield. He is also making some nice free kicks.

With regards to LD - I think he should be on the team. As the focus of the attention goes to players on the USMNT like Dempsey, Bradley, etc..., I think LD will be more valuable. He has speed, vision, touch and he hustles his tail off. I do not think those attributes can be discounted. I like him on the outside of the midfield as opposed to in the middle. I think he should have to fight for the job because there are a lot of guys hungry to play for the team.

Are there things about LD that drive me nuts? Yes. I do not like the kissing business, the dramatic dives and the invisible factor that sometimes kicks in. But, he can change a game with that break away speed with the ball at his feet. He is also unselfish given his assist numbers.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Right mid/winger is a good spot for him.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

No, I kind of disagree. I think Donovan gets more than his fair share of criticism, maybe because expectations were so high so early. I think the idea that the USMNT would've been better off without him over the past 8 years is pretty absurd.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

At the risk of sounding like pettyfox, disagree with which part?

His record speaks for itself. You can disgaree with the record, but it is what it is.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Disagree with the over-the-top criticism that Donovan receives.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well, that you are certainly entitled to, and while it may be over-the-top to you, he will be "cakes" to many of us for the remainder of time.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

All good, you're entitled to your opinion as well.

16. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Josh and I discussed this at the Arsenal match and I agree with him. It's like people hate Donovan because he didn't turn out to be the Michael Jordan of soccer. Well, he's still a really good player. As Josh pointed out, it's kind of like when people call Adu a bust.........he's 18! There's a disconnect between our expectations and reality and then we blame the player because he got overhyped. Donovan isn't a superstar, but IMO, he's clearly one of the best soccer players in this country.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

We have most definitely hijacked this thread, and this is a discussion that comes up often. I don't think people dislike him because he is not the Jordan of soccer, nor do I think he is not one of the better players currently on the squad.

BUT, he is ONE player who better figure it out, quickly. He's got younger guys nipping at his heels and he ain't getting any younger. My impression why people don't necessarily warm up to him is because:

1) He looked like a cissy boy for leaving Europe;
    2) He looks like a cissy boy when he blames not going back to Europe on the fact that he thinks the trip over would be too traumatic on his dogs;
    3) He looks like a cissy boy when he kisses his hands before a PK; and
    4) His lack of stepping up in big matches, especially after dominating lesser matches, makes many think he's got no heart, nor enough desire.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, aren't we the macho man, PCB!

First, he DOES go for it against Mexico, and those are always big matches.

Second, against great teams, he's had his moments. Completely skunked England when they played here last with a chip that shaved the far post with no keeper or defenders around. Why weren't they around? Because nobody would have tried that tough a shot.

I think the Michael Jordan thing rings true, and here's why. Michael was extroardinarily talented and gifted. That's a given, but he did everything he possibly could to make himself greater. He could have relaxed and still had a 10-year NBA career and gotten himself lots of all-star votes and endorsements [Hi Duane Wade!], but he worked harder than all the players in the league that weren't as good as him, and there's the difference. I can't consider a situation in which Jordan would ever say, "I can make good money playing in California and being with my girlfriend and the surf. Why should I want to go off to someplace else and make myself a better player."

So yeah; he's our most talented player since Ramos, and I think he's a lock for 2010. But he could be so much more and, the fact that he doesn't care enough to be as good as he could be is enough for Sunday morning park players like me to dislike him a bunch.

Oh, no hijack, Christian. The original poster talked about both Beckham and Donovan.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well I did drink tree bark coffee, kill, skin, and eat a bear, smoke a carton of cigarettes, and rebuild the engine of my Shelby Cobra this morning....., but I did have scented deodorant on, so that kind of cancels any of that out.

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think that come Winter 2010, Adu will have proven himself better than Donovan in every way - and they are very similar players.

Sorry, but 2 seasons at LA doesn't compare with 2 seasons at Benfica for player development, and the gap is already pretty small between the players.