Sheffield U v. FFC -- FA4

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

he he

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4. tim

tim Active Member

I'm putting the cart before the horse, I know. But, assuming we can take care of business in the replay, we got the better end of the 5th round draw: home to the winner of the only other replay (Forest or Preston). Elsewhere, we'll see two top clubs go out as City have drawn Chelsea, and Arsenal will face 'Pool.

As for the match, I'd rather just forget it. It was sloppy and not just due to the conditions. It was one where you just have to hope that, up a man, you pick up a garbage goal late, chalk it up to luck, and move on. Didn't happen.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I didn't check the start time of the match - so when I go to turn on GJ, I find the match completed and a 1-1 scoreline. I did notice some new faces in the Fulham XI - which is nice. And so is the next opponent draw.

COYW

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the 'View" HD, glad to read about the kids getting another run out. Hugo has been making a habit of saving our bacon. As stated, 2 home matches against lower league opponents to get to the Quarterfinal and 1 step away from Wembley?? COYW!!!!

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Different starting XI, same Fulham. Thought we weren't aggressive enough on offense, preferring possession over production. We did create a fair number of half chances, but they were too finesse oriented for the conditions and as a result, we had 0 shots on net in the first half and finished the match with 4...the same number produced by 10 man Sheffield despite their paltry 26% possession. In slop, you need aerial balls into the box and hard low crosses, much like the one that Porter scored on. On the plus side, we got to see more of the kids get a run out. I can't say I was impressed with any of them outside of Tankovic. He made some nice runs and made some good passes, but it was clear early on he was as likely to take a shot on the Blades net as I was. It's hard to judge them though given the lack of familiarity with most of their teammates on the day and the conditions. On the negative side, against a relegation battler in the 3rd division, the only Fulham player who looked a class above was Kasami. We didn't provide a lot of good service into the box, but the majority of what we did generate came from him.

I felt both sides were equally deserving of a clear-cut penalty, so those offset. The no call on ours was probably more damaging as it would have brought us level right after they'd gone ahead. But that presumes we would have converted it. Missing it could have made things worse.

The red card was quintessentially English. Doyle mugged David in his effort to use him as a step ladder to get a head on the ball and in the process caught an inadvertent (and clearly accidental) hand to the upper lip or nose. He steps away, touches his face & sees blood and feels himself the aggrieved. So he stamps David right in front of Mariner. If that's indicative of the discipline on regular display from their captain, it's not hard to see why the Blades are in a relegation fight.

What else? Taarabt used a cameo appearance to reaffirm his stranglehold on the title of the single stupidest player (especially in proportion to talent) I've ever seen play for the Whites. Karagounis continues to make me look foolish for praising his passing acumen. Not sure why, but the courage has gone out of his game. Under Jol, he often found himself on the ball without teammates making runs. But that's not the case under Rene. Yet he's gone back to tepid sideways and backward passes in lieu of playing through balls and balls over the top to runners out wide. I'm sure someone on another site will say he was MotM today and his passing stats will show a deceptively high completion percentage. I look forward to the day these two leave.

Anyone else see Herman Munster and Festus when they show Rene and Wilkins on the touchline together? Yeah, I know they're from different shows.

All in all, while the match was a bit of a bore in the first half and frustrating in the second, we did come away with a result. It's a disappointment that we couldn't see off a 10 man side from the bottom of the third division, but I for one, don't lament a replay. It's just another chance to give youngsters a run out and attempt to keep the benchwarmers somewhat fresh. Seeing as we're likely going to be depending on the youth a lot next year, the more experience we can give them without (potentially) hindering our attempts to beat the drop, isn't such a bad thing. Now if Rene goes back to playing the starting XI in the cup, I may change my mind. But for now I only see our continued participation as a good thing.

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

How did Bent miss his chance around the 85th minute?

10. SoCalJoe

:lol: Looks like my brother in law on the golf course. Didn't see one second of the match, so reading Hugo scored and should of drawn a pk is all I can go on.

11. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    I was finally able to watch the highlights. Classic Fulhamish performance of snatching a point from the jaws of victory. At least we didn't go out... assuming we can get it together and win at home, we then face a lower league side at home. We should be through to the quarters... but nothing comes easy for this lot...
    ~Steve

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

From Fulham FC's twitter feed.

New signings are not eligible for tomorrow's match, and hinted the youngsters will feature again. Also, Rene has been consulting with Sir Alex Ferguson.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

diction lessons?

I'll be watching -- hopefully life -- and, if so, I'll be in the chatroom for at least part of it.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

We're in trouble. :lol:

The more I think about the situation Fulham are in, the more I think a complete lack of confidence is most likely a big part of the problem at the moment. Nobody seems to showing it at the moment. Either the coach isn't having a lot of faith in his ability to manage or ownership is not having it in him, don't think that would be lost on the players (and after going behind in games, the body language is pretty telling). If there isn't a lot of faith going around at the club, we might as well pack it up for the rest of the season.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Niokrpa4Q[/youtube]

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Did you just make a case for Paolo DiCanio? Because HE'S certainly not lacking in confidence (among other things).

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Confidence is one thing, arrogance another. We don't need a dictator who only inspires a coup d'état from his own players. We need another Roy Hodgson, Murphy, McBride, et al. That was a team that didn't fold. I don't get that same feeling of belief and determination from this group. Maybe these new guys can and will bring a new attitude here. I hope so, I really don't want to quit believing when we have 14 games left and are only 4 points from safety and 6 from from 12th place. Everybody seems to writing us off and right now they have good reason to. We're bottom with -31 gd. If I was looking at the table right now with the team names and table positions covered I would pick us, Cardiff, Norwich, and Crystal Palace as pretty sure bets for relegation (poor defending and not scoring a lot of goals). This needs to be fixed soon, faith is being lost.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

or an unwavering Viking striker, those were the days

18. tim

tim Active Member

Stockdale; Passley, Hangeland, Burn, Amorebieta; Kasami, Tanković, Parker, Kačaniklić; Dempsey; Rodallega

We're definitely not rolling over for this one. My media blackout starts now until I get home this evening and watch my recording. For those watching/listening live, enjoy the chatroom. Hoping I'll have a win waiting for me when I get home tonight.

19. SoCalJoe

COYW!! That is all!!

20. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

HUGE :text-+1: We need a convincing win for the ol' confidence.