Sad news for Spector/USMNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Apr 21, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Got this from Yanks Abroad. Since there's so many Chicagoans in the group, thought it would be of interest.

US defender Jonathan Spector will definitely miss the 2006 World Cup Finals following a dislocated shoulder he suffered playing for Charlton on Monday.

"There is no possibility of him going to the World Cup," agent Steve Kelly confirmed to YA on Friday. "The shoulder is dislocated and he is going to have surgery on it on Tuesday."

According to Kelly, a return date for the Illinois-born defender whose loan from Manchester United expires this summer is still 'up in the air', but is likely to be 'at least a couple of months' away.

"It is very disappointing for everybody, but that is the way the game is sometimes," he stated. "He will need time to recover, but we are all very optimistic about a positive outcome."

The 20-year old has returned to Old Trafford for treatment having made 24 league and cup appearances for the Addicks this season.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Attn: Arlington Heights Folks

According to Americans-Abroad, Spector has rebounded from his injury in record time and is to make the squad for today's match vs. Watford. It would be nice to see him line up against DeMerit of the Dirty Yellows in the match beginning in 20 minutes on FSC.

I am working hard, so will not yield to temptation and watch, however.

In any event, Spector's a quality gent with a good future and it's good to see him back on the pitch. :D

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Attn: Arlington Heights Folks

Darnit...i forgot to set the Tivo this morning. I've been wanting to see Demerit after all the good things I've heard.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

No worries, Omsdogg. There is a replay of the game on FSC at 11pm EST, just set your tivo to record then.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Heather, that was like angels whispering in my ear. Thank you.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, although both Y-A and ESPN said he'd make the squad, there was no Spector on the bench today. Hope it was just a precaution and not a breakdown of some kind.

7. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member