1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

No work today! Go South Africa!

I picked SA and Uruguay to go through in this group. I know people will think I'm crazy, but I believe the host nation has always advanced. Being Irish, I cant support France this time. Forlan is amazing for Uruguay. Mexico, well, you know

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Note to self:

If there's really a LOT of vuvuzuelas - BEING USED- they arent nearly as annoying.

FIRST RIDICULOUS blown call of the WC
    ummm... yep. And everyone involved is gonna try to see that happen.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

If you're talking about the offside call on Vela, it was not a blown call, the SA GK had come out and put Vela offside. There have to be two defenders between an attacking player and the goal line for the player to be onside, which normally is one field player and the GK.

And that was a Murphy-esque ball from Chicago to put the ball in for TSHABALALALALALALA!

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

SA vs. Mex

DOH!!!!!!
    {I'm a newby.. only known that for ummm 35 freakin years}
    Amusing that the commentary seemed to have missed that, too.
    Seems like everytime I check the chatroom.. someone else signs out at exactly the same time...
    Going back in.

Well, SA is VERY much deserving of points in a result. Good, disciplined form.

Gotta say, Blanco didnt disappoint me.. because I thought he was well past it last year with the Fire. Like GBS this season, touches aint the only thing that count.
    - What I'm saying is he might figure into goals but that doesnt address how Mex might play if they werent relying on him.

5. articbob

articbob Member

RE: SA vs. Mex

Good opening match. Big ups to the SA goalie for keeping them in it.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: SA vs. Mex chatroom

McManaman noted it at halftime, but Tyler and the guy he was with didn't. But hey, you're not paid to talk about soccer on TV, so I think you're excused.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

well I found it hilarious that the two import commentators with accents didnt realize it was offside. I dont think any of the 'mericans would make such a mistake, unless of course it was Harkes talking 'bout a Dempsey goal.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I didn't realize that this thread existed when I posted this on a thread called "WC Match Thread"

Just to keep things together, I deleted that thread and here's what I put in right after the match ended.

Just finished watching the South Africa-Mexico match, and it was fun for a neutral observer. Mexico dominated for long stretches, but are so very vulnerable to

dead balls
    counter-attacks.

Geovanni [Crybaby] Dos Santos was brilliant today, but Vela and Franco looked like idiots. Aguirre needs to rethink his starting lineup if Mexico is do do anything out there.

Digkachoi had a good match and assisted on the Bafana Bafana goal with a great cross-field pass. I would like to have seen South Africa convert any of the two or three chances they had to make it 2-0 and 2-1, but there you go.

Good start!!!!

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Thinking about it a little more, the Dikgacoi pass and the Tshabalala (TSHABALALA!) finish were a bit reminiscent of Murphy's pass setting up Kamara for the winner at Man City during the Great Escape. The angle of the pass maybe wasn't quite so narrow.

Now, let's hope France and Uruguay stomp El Tri so they can take an early exit.

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I was surprised that Mexico went with Perez over Ochoa between the sticks.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

First, Siphiwe Tshabalala is the name of my fantasy soccer team for next year -- that's the best sports name ever.

I found it hilarious that Martin Tyler was so adamant about the offside call on Vela's non-goal. I felt proud of myself that I saw that right away. And that keeper Kune did everything wrong on that play and had it come out right. Someone on high wants SA to advance, and I don't mean Sepp Blatter.

I'm just super fired up that it is finally here. It was hard for me to get ready for the world cup coming -- teaching emotionally disturbed students in an alternative school will command a lot of your attention. School's out, and I'm glad the WC is here.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Me, too, Steve. Although it was Efan Okoku who was the color guy. As soon as the goal was disallowed I knew why.

As for the SA goalkeeper, I was very impressed. He was brilliant at distribution. His 40-60 yard punts were right to a teammate every time and his throws were immaculate. Here's the killer. According to the info I have, today was his 26th cap and he's only 22 years old.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

I thought I heard earlier today that Ochoa has been in really poor form lately.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was at an El Tri party this morning and here were their concerns:

Aguirre loves his veteran players too much, they all wanted Barrera (#7) instead of Blanco.

Nobody knows why one of their best players Guardado didn't start, he had the assist on the goal.

Perez aka El Conejo (the rabbit) scares all mexican fans, he's the shortest guy on the field (not a great attribute for a gk), and was frozen on the shot that hit the post. Ochoa has all the commercials, but has lost Agguire's confidence.

The Univision announcer was having some fun w/Tshabalala's name, it was funny as hell.

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was gutted for the South Africans after hitting the post in the 89th. What a celebration that would have been. Plus I'm obviously not a fan of mexico...

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

He had a great game, aside form the Vela/ offside situation, bu one supersized mistake is all it takes usually -- he must be living right I guess.

My Dad watched the SA-MEX game at a client's Mexican restaurant -- no prizes for guessing who they support. When Mphele hit that post, Dad said that he thought everyone there was going to have a heart attack -- he said the front staff, a lot of the customers, and the cook staff that he could see just about had a conniption. I hope to see a Mexico game there.

Man, I love the World Cup. I love, love it, love it.