Royal Caribbean has 'deep reservations' over Miami Stadium

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jimsig, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: Royal Caribbean has 'deep reservations' over Miami Stadi

Another view from the Miami Herald, somewhat more detailed:
    David Beckham’s big project: Design for PortMiami soccer stadium revealed
    A few common sense points, based on history:
    When I first heard Beckham was gonna go with a Miami franchise, I thought he was naive...The ONLY way an MLS team can make it in Miami is with a first class 'flashy' facility. The group has done their homework there. There the game comes second, the experience comes first. This location would seem to do it.
    The cruise line is obviously 'conflicted' in noting 'traffic problems'. They have their own plans which would be worse concerning 'traffic'.
    As remarked, game schedules rarely will conflict with cruise passenger traffic. After recently using Ft Lauderdale and seeing the cruise ports access problems there, not bad but significant, there's no way I would embark from Miami.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm still trying to figure out the attraction of Florida's peninsula. I'm surprised anyone lives there without being sentenced to do so.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Fog, I would agree that common sense about Miami is that the experience is priority, but it's been proven the fans there want stars and winners and the stadium itself is secondary. There are tons of empty orange seats at current Dolphins games, but there weren't when Dan Marino was slinging it, and most of his early career was at the decrepit Orange Bowl. LeBron James is the reason the Heat sellout every night, not the arena. The Marlins had a huge payroll for their first year at their beautiful new ballpark, but started out of the season poorly and fans did not show up to enjoy the 'experience'. Unless Beckham brings an instant winner, and with stars that aren't totally washed up they'll draw well behind either goal, but the expensive seats in the middle will be empty no matter how great the stadium is.

5. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Recently reading on the Cruise Critic website and one of the complaints was how bad parking was for someone trying to make a cruise ship in Miami, ended up having to drive by 3 or 4 garages/lots as they were full. As Fog said most games will not interfere w cruise traffic, but if you can't find a place to park for a cruise, where are you going to park for a game? 25 to 40k stadium probably means 10 to 20k cars per game. Hopefully they have something in mind. As the article also says, RC's headquarters overlaps the stadium site. Guess they are maybe hoping to take it by emanate domain?

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Beckham is not bringing his talents to south beach.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Speaking of talents to South Beach, if anyone in Cleveland had a brain (technically I don't live IN Cleveland), they would get on the phone and lobby Lebron to get Beckham to bring the team to Cleveland. They could start off in Brown's stadium which is on the water and could easily find some other water-front real estate to build a soccer specific stadium. I believe there was talk of Lebron being part owner of Beckham's team so it's not completey crazy :teasing-tease: