Ronaldo to MLS: sorry.. you're no Valderrama, are you?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Apr 9, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Inside SI's web site two takes on the ever-present Ronaldo rumor:
    Truth & Rumors

And

He wont be coming..just yet
    It's interesting that this rumor surfaces at the time RBNY celebrates the old stars of the NY Cosmos... which both established the level of interest and KILLED Div 1 soccer in the US in the eighties.

If RBNY is gonna bring him in at that transfer fee and pay him more than the absolute current max of 1.85 million, they should be drummed out of MLS.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Ronaldo to MLS: sorry.. you

until I read the articles, I thought you were having us on. Wow. I almost bought the Teddy Sheringham to MLS a couple of years ago, but Ronaldo?

Kind of scary they have so little a grip on reality at SI.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oh, there's some reality there... the fact that the players actually say they want to play here sometime.

What most dont realize is that they wont make anything near what they do now. Thus their agents arent exactly going to bend over backwards.
    Beckham has said it... but where's he going to play? LA or NY! And that's what most of 'em will want.
    Matteus said it and he came... but wimped out after a few times of getting his arse run off by kids fresh out of college.

Like I said.. if they are going to have their hearts in it, like Valderrama or Donadoni, that's fine. Otherwise it's all talk.. and we hope that's the case.
    When MLS starts down the showcase road the end is as plain as it was for NASL.

4. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Lothar Matteus was a horrible example of this going horribly wrong. I remember when past-it foreign players started to coming to the UK to cash in for a final pay check and it was ridiculous. The first one to come and play with heart and soul, like Valderrama, was Zola for the blue pooh. As much I hated them , I loved watching that genius play with a smile on his face like it was a school yard kickabout. I think every sport needs a little more of that.