RNC review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 2, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I saw a bit of her last night and was impressed but not surprised. This is a tough, smart politician here and people underestimate her or marginalize her at their peril.

Having said that, the convention speech should be the last one in which she touches all the conservative "hot button" issues -- you know "San Francisco values," Dems hate guns, no abortion, dissenters are traitors. Why? Because the primaries are over and you win elections by running to the middle. There was nothing in Palin's speech to attact a moderate to the McCain ticket. In fact, there was much in what she said [and in the fervor it caused in the sea of smug, superior middle-aged white faces] that would turn a centrist completely off McCain. Why are all those powerful, rich white people so angry?

Granted, it is the job of the VP candidate to take potshots and be the "mean guy." They do this so that the presidential candidate can appear above the fray and beneficent. The GOP got the right person for this job. The question is this: is the McCain campaign going to continue to focus on appealing to the far right of the GOP base and cede the middle -- who eventually decide who wins in EACH election -- to Obama? You'd think not, but McCain's campaign management hasn't shown a lot of brilliance thus far.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Don, you're right about moving to center, in normal times. This RNC was NOT normal times.

It was JUST last friday the base got on board. This convention is to lock 'em in.

Starting next week, now the conservatives are on board, the leftward crab begins.... that is Palin's real challenge; she started on it last night... now the 'Hockey moms' are looking at her.

By the way... TalkLeft are so furious they're puking out the silly kos huffpo memes again. Jeralyn and BTD ahould have kept a reign on it. Now they're just drinking the Obamabot kool-aid.

- - - - - - -
    BTW: Didja notice I linked the video of "ABC idiot" in your sig.

Also CNN chiron last night reporting McCain roll-call over the top "Wins Democratic Nomination"
    The PUMAs thought that was delicious.. "Yeah, they had a real roll-call. They didnt let us have one"

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Da fog sez

I hadn't noticed you did that. I've been collecting these howlers since the 1960 RNC when, in his acceptance speech, Nixon referred to his running mate at "Henry Cabot Liar" -- something the Nixonites had been doing during the primary season. Hard to break those habits.

Check out the sound bite folks, it's delicious!

By the way, the signature isn't necessarily political on my part. I've been collecting quotes with "black and white" in them to use during the current season. This just is the best so far.

4. pettyfog

Geez... All I keep hearing and reading, starting with the Hillary forum is "Maybe a new Thatcher".

It's everywhere.

It may be so, later, but for now it's pure hyperbole and nowhere NEAR defendable. I can take 'star is born', but Thatcher? PUH-LEEEZE!

I guess I SHOULD have put that on the scandal thread, but it's just dumb.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Just saw the video about Cindy McCain's life and how she and John met

. . . . . OMG get me a barf bag

Just totally omitted McCain's previous marriage and 3 kids, the fact that he left a wife who raised their kids alone while he was imprisoned, the fact that his first wife, a former swimsuit model or something like that, was crippled in an accident while he was overseas, the fact that he disguarded someone who had suffered like him for a rich woman 17 years younger.

That is the worst possible thing that they could've done at this convention.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know, Mo. The only thing that I didn't like about Bob Dole was that he ditched the wife who nursed him at his bedside for more than 5 years as he recovered from his horrific battlefield wounds for a hot, young tobacco lobbiest from North Carolina. Once he married her, she became his top political asset, and the first wife kind of got disappeared in history.

You know what they say ... Democratic politicians stay married but cheat. Republican politicians are serial monogamists. Once they sleep with a new woman, they divorce the old one and make the girlfrien the next missus.

7. pettyfog

Well.. I aint touching the above posts with a stick.

I'm watching mccain speak and my stomach hurts.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

i was a mr. mccain supporter in '00, but i'm not voting for mr. mccain (at least to this point) in '08.

this speech hasn't swayed me back in his direction either.

9. pettyfog

After Obama and now Palin, I think we grow to expect too much.

He didnt 'hit it out'

I give content A, Presentation C, passion B... would have only been C except for the last.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was out of the room during the speech. Like the failed candidates last night, did McCain also ridicule people who provide service to their communities? Did he use the codewords for bad people -- east coast liberal elitists [Jews], Hollywood liberal elitists [Jews], San Francisco elitists [gays] -- or did the real John McCain speak?

11. pettyfog

Naw... nona those ... just San Antonio Elitists

Seriously, it'll be rerun... you will probably like it.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ah! Mexicans! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

13. nevzter

nice one. :banana:

and, if s.a. elitists didn't exist before, they do now! should i consider petty the "msm?"
    :banana:

14. pettyfog

Seriously, it'll be rerun... you will probably like it.

A lot of 'kitchen table' stuff... he feels the pain and will do something about it by kissy-facing HArry and NAncy.
    {strike above line.. not nice. I dont think he meant meant Soros' sockpuppets when he referred to bi-partisan}

Yet Wolfson said he didnt go far enough to convince the center

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: Wolfson ... I'm reminded of a line from an old Bob Dylan song:

"You know, there's a lotta people who don't have enough to eat,
    but they got knives and forks, and they gotta cut somethin'."

I'll check out the speech. You're right; I probably will like it.

16. nevzter

so, are you saying 'patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel?'

17. pettyfog

Rush on the phone with Greta..
    Loved it! HE said Palin revived the base, and she will take care of it. Now McCain is free to go out as he started tonight by emphasizing his 'Country First' message.

And that McCains speech defined how he IS and stands for Country First.

Rush speculates that Palin has killed Biden without firing a shot and that Biden will withdraw, and Hillary be on the Dem ticket. And he says it's long shot, but Obama has to do something Gotta run over to PUMA they'll be going nuts over that.

18. sublicon

sublicon New Member

If I hear another pundit use the term "home run" or phrase "hit it out of the park" . . . I will punch a baby.

I don't think Palin's "community organizer" crack last night will come back to haunt her but my dude Jay Smooth makes a good point.

I can't wait till the debates. That's when we'll see what she's made of. I'll be honest - I never hated McCain and before he made his pick, I wouldn't be as crest-fallen if he ended up winning though I'm voting for Obama. But now that he has Palin as his VP pick, I have reason to really hate the Republican ticket.

She's a whack job, and not the person he needs as his No. 2 if he actually wants to unite this country. She's a too polarizing a figure, and I think that will become more and more apparent as time goes on.

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I dont have a problem with what he did in his first marriage or with marrying Cindy. I dont know what it is like to fight in a war, to think you're going to be killed any day, or to be imprisoned and tortured for 5 years. What I have a problem with is showing a video that omits his first wife and the children he had with her. As if when they met he was an unmarried officer who instantly was smitten; omitting that he was married with three children at the time. Then in his speech he honors his mother for raising him and his siblings while his father was at war without mentioning that his first wife did the same for their children. It's disgusting.

20. pettyfog

That's why I started the Palin scandal thread... "She's a whack job" is made purely out of spun smoke on the lefty blogs and MSM. Go over to scandal thread and support that view.

Whack jobs dont get 80% approval, even in a state of whack jobs.

You'll note that McCain is running against real and perceived Dubya sins, and she has the cred to buttress that argument.. While Biden is SAYING they'll investigate, it's never gonna happen. Unless M/P does it.. {but still wont}
    And if you look at time stamps, you'll find I used baseball before any of them did. I cant help it if I'm prescient.... and it might look like they copied me.

- - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - -

Back to the RNC analysis: From one Dem wonk ".. against the most unpopular administration since WWII."

What is THAT.. I THINK he meant 'since the Korean war', didnt he? Yep. Looked it up, that's what he meant.