RNC review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 2, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Rather tepid.

Fred Thompson made a good speech on McCain. Better than a lot of his own when he was running.
    Laura Bush should have given the 'keynote of the night'
    Dubya held to a minimum, gave all the expected props.
    Joe Lieberman gave a good speech, tho he's no Zell Miller, and for good reason.. he's only slightly to the right of Hillary. But he'll piss off HArry Reid, nonetheless.

In other words, they did the best they could with Dubya's baggage hanging over them.

The whole thing hinges on Sarah's speech tomorrow night. She can load the bases and then it's up to McCain to hit it out of the park and dont be surprised if he brings up a certain speech Teddy Roosevelt made almost 100 years ago.

Note... I wrote that baseball refence BEFORE Newt used it at 11:44

2. jmh

jmh New Member

W stumping for McCain after his people dragged McCain through the mud eight years ago makes my stomach turn.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Re: RE: RNC review

It's the price you pay for getting to use party resources to get elected. I honestly doubt if Romney is a big fan of McCain, either, but he knows who writes his paychecks, metaphorically speaking.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Lieberman really has to stop pretending he's a Democrat or an independent. He's a mainstream Republican and he has been for a good ten years.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Lieberman is poorly served by the two-party system. A lot of his views (abortion, gay rights, gun control, climate change, stem cell research) are nowhere NEAR most Republicans.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Agree, Josh. The Republicans are no longer a "big tent" party, and there's no home for his opinions there. He served them best as their "inside man" in the Democratic camp. The thing is, he could have stayed inside the Democrat's big tent, but he became so openly Republican this wasn't possible any more. I've seen several independent members of both parties in the past, but I've never seen one make a speech on the opening night of the opposing party's convention before. The greatest coup I've ever seen the Republicans pull off was getting their "pet Democrat" nominated as Gore's VP candidate.

Based on the opening night speakers, are you thinking Lieberman for Secretary of State and Thomposon for AG?

7. pettyfog

Ever consider that Lieberman's views on all those issues havent changed at all in 20 years?
    They haven't.
    So....he's not a good democrat?

"GOP - Big Tent Party" They havent been since Nixon led to Carter.
    {If you young guys think Nixon was some kind of 'conservative' you're wrong}
    That was the end of the influence of the "Rockefeller Republicans". Giuliani's one of the last.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Because:

As you like to scream: read my entire post once in a while.

9. pettyfog

Don, read my first post... he's no 'Zell Miller' Now he was a 'pet democrat'

Why dont we talk about Lindsay Graham? Wouldnt surprise me a bit to see him at the Dem 2012 convention.

But you're right about Fred..
    Thompson would make a great AG. Not just because he could play one on TV, because he's got the cred in real life.

Whoever wins is going to have to address the governmental corruption mess and they'll need someone who can do more than screw up cultist arrests and deport kids. I think Fred's energy last night was because he really wants the job and McCain would do well to get him on board in public for that role right now. That would give McCain a two-three point bump.

Fred is like Palin... he'll go after anyone.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have no problem with Thompson as an AG. He would be a significant improvement over the last 8 years. Once again, though, I think your deep and abiding love for Thompson clouds your vision. I don't think announcing his cabinet picks now would do anything for his popularity. It's going to be up to his performance, and to a lesser extent, Palin's in the next two months. Who may or may not be a part of the administration doesn't really excite anyone -- much as Thompson failed to do when he was a candidate [except in parts of Columbus, OH evidently].

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Speaking as a pro-Israel Jewish Democrat: Lieberman as Secretary of State is a TERRIBLE idea. He rubs WAY too many people the wrong way.

12. pettyfog

I'm sorry...Don. You can try to spin it any way you want. I was really excited about Fred before he started 'walking' {you couldnt actually call it 'running'} and I held out hope for a while... but it was sure apparent that not only did he think he couldnt win, he didnt really WANT to win.

I didnt say announcing ALL his cabinet would be good. I said announcing Thompson would be good. And maybe whoever will be the Sec'y of State.
    {no, NOT Lieberman}

And I know you'd like to keep the focus where it is right now, but voters want to know what McCains gonna do about the current swamp, besides Palin. All she can do, as VP, is make speeches and snoop around.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

And shoot people, if we've learned anything from our current VP. 8)

14. pettyfog

Ah... you just got that post copied onto TSPST. forgot another 'malfeasance'

15. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I'm looking forward to seeing how she does tonight. My inclination would be that she'll do well and really energize the republican base, but you never know for sure ...

jmh - do you ever find it conflicting to be a democrat and a pro-Israeli? I ask out of honest curiosity since when a lack of support for Israel is voiced it's almost exclusively from the extreme liberal side of the spectrum.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

really?, you must be very young. Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, and Clinton were all strong protectors of Israel. Find me two current senators and 5 current US Representatives who are anti-Israel, by anybody's measure. The only member of congress I can remember in the last 20 years who spoke out about our support of Israel in a less than enthusiastic way was Senator Abouresk of one of the Dakotas.

If you go back 50 or 60 years, on the other hand, you'd find plenty of anti-Israel talk in congress -- almost all of it eminating from the right.

Unwavering support of Israel from the right wing is relatively new [last 30 years] -- and is tied to the heavy influence of fundamentalist Christianity in the Republican Party. Revelation theologists believe that it is essential that Israel exist. If it didn't, it would be hard for Armageddon to occur. Believe it, Reverend Hagee's support for Israel has as little to do with his love for Jews as it does for the care and concern he has for the region's Christians -- and to my knowledge, he's never visited an active Christian congregation anywhere in Palestine.

17. pettyfog

Don's right....mostly.

It's only in the last few years that the Dems along with the PaleoCons, not the CC of which Don speaks, have started using anti-Israeli sound bites.
    But the more Allen Dershowitz influences reduction of wealthy 5th Avenue jewish contributions to the Democratic party the more the Dem base will turn 'anti-Zionist'

To be fair, Israel has not helped their own cause with the totally inexplicable placement of 'settlements' in what should be 'Palestine'
    And then there's Jimmy Carter. who changes his tune depending on the direction of the breeze, and missiles, from Gaza.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Examples please of the Democratic Party base that is now or is turning anti-Zionist?

19. pettyfog

You said that you dont want to read them.

20. pettyfog

Well, I said she needed to load the bases.. she did. Old John can breathe a little easier and that's good because now the crowd is going to expect him to hit the ball out.

And to amuse myself I lurked at the PUMA forum.

These women were super pumped up by it. But how many do they represent? Their role says 5000 members and 1200 on line still as I write this.

From various web sources:
    First reaction from Obama camp: "Bush's speechwriter wrote her speech"

First reaction from Harry Reid's staff : "Shrill"

From Andrew Sullivan of the Atlantic who has spent all week mentioning every rumor, saying she's unfit: "I'm simply STUNNED! Now they're passing the baby around, what does that have to do with the issues?!

CNN after forgetting the script and gushing about the speech: "Well now she has to hit the campaign trail and perform that act in the spotlight"
    - Whhaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Keith Olbermann HEir apparent to Walter Cronkite and Edward R Murrow* compares her first to to Tracy Flick {The Movie "Election"} and then to 'Delores Umbridge, a character from Harry Potter '

* Or is that Bozo the Clown?

CNN's feminist analyst Candy Crawley: ""oh this is not going to play well outside because it does not bode well for woman to attack a man like this I don't think our politics has grown that well to allow that. We shall see how it all gets play out not thinking it is going to be good for her/them."

I didnt think the speech was ALL that. But it was very good, in the backdrop of the incessant attacking. What it did show is she has a remarkable presence and ability to deliver. I want to see what she does when the staff takes off her leash.

Now WHO was it said "putting Palin in a debate with Biden will be like putting Howdy Doody into a knife fight"? Hmmm he just might have something there, after all.