Redeem Team

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Anybody watch? They were very impressive vs. China. So so so quick. It also appears the Olympics and representing their country means something to the players and US basketball this time so that is refreshing.

However, what I found most refreshing was the commentary to the game. While what's-his-name ponytail face has to constantly condescend to the American soccer team (yesterday the first thing out of his mouth after Josy's goal was that it was lucky), the bball commentators showed respect for both teams in the US-China game.

It is interesting that Bball was invented in the US (by a Canadian) and that the US has completely dominated the sport on an international level. Since 1936 the US has never failed to medal (except in '80 due to boycott) in an olympics and has won the gold in 13 out of 15 tries. Yet I dont see the reverse of what you see with the beautiful game. No one talks about how the Italians, Spanish, or Chinese just dont understand basketball the way the Americans do. There are no accusations of arrogance on FIBA's part for changing the rules of the game that was invented in and dominated by the US. Instead the US participates and accepts those rules. Foreign players in the NBA dont make less than American players just because they're not American (e.g. Dirk Nowitzki makes more than LeBron). When the Cavs got Varejao, I didnt hear fans deriding his Brazilian basketball upbringing or saying it prevented him from being NBA material.

Just food for thought.

2. IanHux

IanHux New Member

You make a very good point there mo.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yeah very good point mo. People mostly concern themselves with bringing USA basketball down (oh my god they can't shoot, oh my god they have no fundamentals) even if they do win.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The fellas just beat Dirk and zee Germans by 51.

You hit the nail on the head Mo, this team is refreshing. When your best players (like players 10-12 aren't great?) are committed on the defensive end it's going to be hard for any team to keep it under 20 points.

The best way to fast-break and play up-tempo is not to pick the ball out of the net (George Karl are you taking notes?) but rather by smoothering and breaking the opponents will.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dude, you have any relatives named Popovich? :D