Recreational Soccer Tips and Pointers for New Players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, I was finally able to find an indoor and outdoor soccer league to play in thanks to my brother-in-law in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Thus far I have played four games and scored one goal. I have played all over the place but probably feel most comfortable either in midfield or playing defense.

This is the first time I have played soccer since the age of 12. Thus, I am a bit rusty on the ball. Watching the game as much as I do, I understand the game, but I need some help in getting better on the ball and in my conditioning.

Thus, my question is this, can anyone advise me of some drills that might be helpful in my quest to be able to run and dribble relatively quickly? I am getting better over the first four matches, but I need to get better.

Also, while I am in good shape, I am not in great soccer shape. Are there any conditioning exercises or running activities to get me in better soccer shape?

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers and thanks!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

1. Do ten yard sprints, over and over

2. Visualize!

3. Run the tires

4. visualize!

5. condition for start-stop, esp for indoor. work on knee and ankle stretch and extension.

6. visualize

7 Sit at desk with feet caressing soccer ball, get the feel with every part of your foot.

oh.. and did I mention VISUALIZE!!!!!!

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

One thing that I wish I would do more of is get out there by myself and practice. While it is always great to play on a team and in a match, I find my skills pick-up significantly if I get out to the field early or show up when no one is around and just practice dribbling, cross-overs, juggling, and whatever else I can think of. Shooting is one of the last things to practice. You can REALLY hurt yourself by going out there and just shooting the ball and nothing else. Your quads will thank you later.

Also, practice shifting your weight abruptly from one side to the other in sharp changes in direction. I wish I could do that quicker, as I frsutrate myself way too often by not getting to the ball sooner. Not sure of an exact exercise for that, but there must be one or two.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm with PCB, you just have to practice often with the ball--juggling and dribbling on your own.

Fitness for soccer--just run a couple a miles a few times a week, some track work (sprints) and tempo runs and you'll be alot more fit than most for recreation soccer. Also, work on the the hamstrings, quads, stomach, and back muscles in the gym if you can. Be sure to stretch and take a few rest days during the week.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good point, Heather. Stretching, at my age, is key. I don't do enough of it, but I make sure I do the butterfly(?) stretch, sitting with the bottoms of my feet together, and then I rotate legs tucked to the side leaning forward to touch toes of extended leg and lean back to stretch tucked leg. Those seem to stretch the hammy and then the quads pretty well. Both very subject to pulling while out on the field.

6. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

ten yard sprint, then 10 push ups, ten yard sprint, ten sit ups, keep repeating until you can't! did this in high school and it killed!!! gotta sprint though!!!