REAL R&B... bringing back memories!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 10, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

While perusing Powerline so as to know what to think about current events, I saw this:
    http://powerlineblog.com/archives/010703.php

It's about one of the magical voices of the late fifties and early sixties which kept me tuned to WLAC in Nashville... while all my schoolmates were listening to stupid top-forty crap by Bill Haley and the Comets, Pat Boone, and Elvis... I was listening to a black-market R&B station that faded in and out.

That was where the REAL magical music was... Chuck Berry, great as he was and is, was hardly on there... though they played Wilson Pickett soon as he came on the scene and I actually heard some Roy Orbison on there.
    Muddy Waters was on there, though and the bawdy comedy of Moms Mabley.... who would be like a Sunday-School joke teller today... but WE got it, and it was delicious fun. Without crotch and boobs stuck in our faces.

But Jackie Wilson was the best and purest voice I had ever heard! Roy O came close... and you had to put Johnny Mathis in your record collection so you could get the girls to listen to what you liked...( just dont bring up he was queer.)

Oh, yeah...I had my Elvis... all ballads as much as I could make them; but King of R&R..NO WAY. That was for Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard and Chuck Berry to fight over!