quitting your job

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JohnnyCash, Sep 28, 2005.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Yet again, I ask you, the people of Fulham USA for some advice.

I've asked about online dating, where to go on vacation, and now...I ask you, how to quit my job (something I've never done before).

I've currently got well over 3 weeks of vacation. I'm required to give at least two weeks notice. So techincally I can quit today, give my three weeks and relax on leave for the next three weeks. But that basically screws over my company in finding and training a replacement.

Do I tell them now (even though I'm planning on leaving mid-late October) and give them a chance for a counter offer, or do I risk telling them and being unable to find another job.

I'm just bored as hell here and I can't take it anymore.

2. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

My typical response would be to say that you normally wouldn't leave one company for another unless you had something lined up already...

But, if you decided to go ahead and bail without anything lined up... I would give notice and work the last two weeks. It (1) gives them the opportunity to counter and keep you and (2) it gives you the chance to cash out the accrued vacation time for a lump sum pay out to help cover expenses in the near term.

Again, not a big proponent of leaving without a new gig.

3. Jux

Jux New Member

I agree with mnlandshark on this one. Trust me, I'm not a big fan of my job right now either! Is there anyway you can cash one of those weeks of vacation in and hit the road for a bit? Sometimes that helps me deal with a boring job. Just a thought.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Yeah, i've done the vacation thing too, and it just delays it. I enjoy vacation, come back, can tolerate the job for another few weeks or so and then get stuck in the same rut. The problem is the job itself, there's just not enough work to keep someone busy for 40 hours in a week, not even 20. This is why you all are jealous that i browse this website all day...per the sig

Yeah, i'm going to find another job before I leave, it would be cool to just quit now, give them a big FU and be off this weekend, but I can't do that. The job search has begun though.

5. Jux

Jux New Member

Good Luck with the search! You could still take a quick vacation while you work on your Job Search. That, and FIFA 2006 comes out next Tuesday :D

6. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

It would be kind of nice to take leave and just not go anywhere, just sit at home and watch TV all day

you have a point

7. Jux

Jux New Member

Yes....I am an enabler.

8. Jux

Jux New Member

Yes....I am an enabler. What else do you need help justifying?

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Been there.. but stayed till i got so bored I got fired so you are doing the right thing.

From sounds of it, problem is not bosses or co-workers ... so do the thing right and, as soon as you get the new gig, Give notice and do the training.

The wave with the finger may be satisfying personally but who else does it help?

Remember, there might not actually BE such a thing as karma.. but it often acts looks and smells like karma.

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

As much as I'd love to give the ole' FU out the door, this company did hire me right out of college and give me a pretty good paying job for three years. I think i've just gotten as far as I'm going around these parts and its time to pick up and go.

Jeez, this is my fourth post in this thread in just about an hour, that should tell you something.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Good luck Cash! I hope you are able to find a nice gig. As most of the others have said, I would not be able to quit unless I had something lined up already. However, everyone is in a different financial situation.

Like you, I would love to just sit on my ass for a few weeks and watch TV at home. That would be awesome!! If I ever won the lottery, I would not even come back to work at all. I would just not show up and soon they would get the picture.

12. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

If I won the lotto, i would touch myself all day and remind myself how lucky i am.

13. RDG

RDG Member

First off, I'd highly suggest having another job to go to before quitting. Yes, there's all that free time available for interviews, but it doesn't make you an attractive candidate, especially if the jobless time period increases.

Although giving the finger to your boss/co-workers/etc. sounds wonderful, it's not a great idea in reality. Just remember that these are the people who will be writing your recommendation. Keep them on your side. Here's an example: a guy who worked in my department decided to give two days (not two weeks) notice to go to school. Although he would not have had a good recommendation anyway, whatever he will get will be horrid. People remember what happened at the end of your stay at a job; keep 'em happy.

Find out how much time off you can get paid for when you leave. Some places set a maximum of two weeks worth of time, even if you've accrued a lot more time off. Don't screw yourself by leaving with too much time in the bank. Find out discreetly from someone in the accounting/payroll/personnel department. It's always good to have friends in that department.

Whatever you do, good luck!

14. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

Don't burn your bridges. Be nice and give yer two weeks notice. Get another job first though.

15. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

So I've got job applications out in Arizona...to be a Lumberjack...haha

well not a real lumber jack, but working for the forest service out in the woods chasing bunnies and clearing roads...crap like that.

16. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I quit my job last October by saying FU and walking out, took me till April to find another job. Quitting without another job isnt easy any more. too may others seeking the same job. Find another job before saying FU. if of course you can survive financially for several months then go for the Vacation. but I guess your like the rest of us on here and need the wedge each month.GOOD LUCK!

P.S I hear that CC is in the same boat?...

17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Well I've gone and done it. I've got a position in the forestry service in Flagstaff Arizona that starts at the end of January and told my boss yesterday that I'm leaving after Christmas.

I've got a lot of work to do before then, and by work, I mean hanging around on these boards and making inane comments the next month or so.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Congrats Cash! That is great news!

19. DCDave

DCDave Member

Congratulations--we'll miss you in DC. BTW, did you take into account that AZ, most of Fulham's games will start at 7:00 or 8:00 AM? Are you SURE you want to take this job? :)

20. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I had thought about that Dave. The other problem is that the closest bar to show EPL games is going to be in phoenix, which is an additional 3 hour drive South.