Pros and Cons of Chris Coleman

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is NOT a Coleman In or Out thread. I am just curious as to what people see as the pros and cons of Fulham's current manager Chris Coleman. Whether good thoughts or bad thoughts, just be honest when posting and make sure you leave the rose-tinted glasses on the table before you post!! LOL!

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

He does not strike me as a deep thinker. Which, while in some ways can be a benefit, is something I want in a coach. I expect a coach to come up with winning game plans that are so diabolical, no one would have ever thought them previously,or to use such simple winning gameplans, that no one else would have ever thought to use them.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have many thoughts on this issue so I will throw one of each out there:

Pro: Coleman definitely cares about the club and wears his heart on his sleeve for the team.

Con: Why is it that no players have developed or gotten better under his reign as manager? Coleman and his staff have done an abysmal job in teaching and developing the players on the team. Liam does not seem to be getting any better. Papa Bouba Diop seems to be figment of his former self. Boa has not improved at all. As I have said many times before, none of the youth team players have improved at all. That comes down to the manager and the coaching staff.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First thing to say: I like Cookie, and I always have. Wish I could have seen him play.

Second thing to say: I don't like changing coaches once the season has started:

Having said that, on the ChiTom's premise.

Soccer coaches, like basketball coaches, have four basic roles on which they can be judged:
    a. maintain a good relationship with owners to the benefit of the team.
    b. find/secure/train/maintain a good quality squad
    c. develop workable game plans/create "plays" or set pieces
    d. recognize when someone is underperforming and make the right substitution.

I think cookie does well with 'a' and to a certain extent with 'd'. I think he does the best he can considering the monetary constraints with 'b'. What I haven't seen in the last few years is outstanding performances in 'c'. I'm not sure he's a great tactician, nor a great strategic planner. Nobody fears us at dead-ball situations; nobody expects us to field just the right person to exploit the key weakness in an opponent.

I'm not sure if this is a failing, or just me wanting more. But last year I noticed how Pardew used Zamora. The boy isn't a Prem-level striker, but he's strong and big and never quits, so Pardew brought him in at 60-75 minutes when the opposing defense was ragged after chasing the hares that the Hammers started at forward, and he bullied himself to several goals and assists that wouldn't have been on the card had he started. This is the sort of tactical/strategic thinking that I think is missing in Cookie.

My thrup'ny bit.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So having a sexy nervous tick can't be counted as a pro?! Jeez louise.

OKay, fine.

Pros: He's a young manager and has time to learn from mistakes and mature into a fine manger. Played for Fulham and seems to always think of the club first.

Cons: Seems so stubborn sometimes on trying to make that round peg fit into that square hole. See playing 4-5-1 last year or two years all the time on the road, never seemed to be all that great. Constantly playing players that don't seem be hacking it. (Knight) Might be too friendly with the players, not making cold-hearted desicisions, except when it comes to Steed.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Pro
    good in the transfer market- I guess you could make an argument that he's not but I'm always pretty confident that his signings will turn out, he tends to find some real good bargains such as Heleguson for less than a million pounds, I'm sure if you held his transfer record up next to the other 19 premiership managers he'd be above average

attacking football- It's not true all the time and probably not last night but when were on our game we really do play an attacking, flowing, attractive, game. Much more so then the teams around us. I like a manager who at least aspires to play the game the right way

brilliance- We are capable of looking in like were in a league of our own, CC can at times get the team up and performing incredibly well, the squad we beat Chelsea with, just unbelievable :shock:

young- I like a manager who is young and theoretically not stuck in his ways

post match interviews- I really like CC's post match interviews, he doesn’t BS, though not many prem managers do.

likeable- I think he’s likeable guy, doesn’t seem as arrogant as most managers

Cons
    inconstancy- yeah were capable of really good attractive football, wins over Chelsea and Liverpool, were also capable of losing to Sunderland and Leyton Orient! CC only seems to motivate his team half the time :x

squad selections- I almost always disagree with our starting eleven, sometimes CC just makes some baffling decisions, but perhaps he knows best in the end or maybe he's just as mad as I think he is.

young players- it seems to me CC just doesn’t give these guys the light of day, how is one to prove them self when never given the opportunity? Even Heleguson whose not young but new had to wait half the year to get his shot and I suspect Runstrom will have to do the same.

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

Not enough time to say too much about this now, but my one initial thought is this: Why did he make LBM the captain? Was it just to get him to stay? (If so, taht doesn't seem like a good reason.) My feeling is that his play has gone downhill since being captain, and he doesnt seem like the real leader of the team. Maybe he problems on the pitch have been him trying too hard to be a good captain. Any thoughts on this?

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

When I look at Boa Morte, all I can think is "Never bet against black."

He and Wesley Snipes were separated at birth.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Becoming a captain does strange things to players if you ask me. I think many times a captains armband is given to the player that is either the best or has been with the club the longest which is not a good reason if you ask me.

Boa does not seem to be captain's material. He spends more time bitching and complaining to the officials about fouls when he should be getting his team ready for the action.

Bullard seems like a potential captain and perhaps he should take the arm band in the very near future.

Another example of a player I do not think is captain material is Thierry Henry. His play has not slumped since wearing the arm band, but I just do not think he is a captain. Although with all the youngsters on that team, there is no other option for Wenger to be honest with you. Henry does not seem like a player to rally the troops and get them ready.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Agree about Bullard, but not about Henry. I think Bullard is the man to take over the team -- the attack, the defense, the training pitch, the clubhouse. It's kind of tough to give the armband to the guy after only two games, but this time next year he's the guy for sure.

I've never been sold on Boa as captain, but there isn't anybody else out there game after game that seems to be in charge. Perhaps SuperHero Niemi?

11. rumstove

rumstove New Member

(first off, props for saying SuperHero Niemi...maybe others will catch on :D )

Obviously I think Superhero Niemi is top-notch, but I'm not sure about naming him captain...yet. :wink: If CC were to ask me to give someone other than Boa the armband my top pick would be Bullard. Possibly McBride.

And if I remember correctly, yes one of the factors of naming Boa Morte captain was to help keep him at Fulham.

12. rumstove

rumstove New Member

and of course I forgot to mention the true meaning of this thread...

Pros: He's all about Fulham and will do anything he can for the club. He's young as a manager and has time to learn a few things from watching other managers and apply them to his side.

Cons: He can easily get stuck on playing his same favorite players without giving others a shot. At times he plays some weird formations. We've all seen a few players seem to stall and not continue to progress with their playing abilities. I feel CC needs to help them in this area.